How do you define the traits of a Christian?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Perspycacious profile image62
    Perspycaciousposted 8 years ago

How do you define the traits of a Christian?

Anyone can claim to be a Christian.  When you consider what that should mean, what do you look for to see whether or not its more than just a claim?

2. Kiss andTales profile image62
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

To be a Christian means to mimic Jesus,  to follow his steps as close as possible,  what was Jesus attributes,  basically he was concern for all humans, he was concerned about everyone's happiness in the future to come.he showed love by preaching a message of good will from the heavenly Father,  and he told us what the Father was like, what he wanted from us in return , basically to love one another to appreciate his provision for paying for our future,  the real paradise to come.
    2Pe 3:13 But there are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell.
    A Christian should reflect all things as Jesus
    instructed, the main one is teachings others
    the truth about the Heavenly Father,  the truth about our future here on a cleaned earth, and the importance of adjusting to New Citizenship of the Heavenly Government.
    Da 2:44“In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever,
    This is what Jesus was concern about.
    Being a Christian means to understand that Jesus is now a King.
    Joh 18:37So Pilate said to him: “Well, then, are you a king?” Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.”
    Do we help others as he instructed is a mark of being his followers.
    Mt 24:14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
    Based on this preaching work worldwide, Jesus work is coming to a completion did you accept his invite.  Very little time left
    The last instructions is the mark of a true Christian.
    Math28:20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”
    Did you notice the Kings command, He has given instructions. True Christians are busy getting it done.

1. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good answer Kiss and Tales.

2. Kiss andTales profile image62
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

MzJ.  I appreciate your comment , the part about " its written does not make it so"
      It's written but do we make it so , do we live up to the words Jesus instructed,  if not then it will not result in saving our life into the future of a New earth.

3. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"IGNORANCE" of HIS WORD, makes me so ANGRY when "IT IS WRITTEN," & IF WRITTEN in HIS WORD, IT IS SO whether 1 decides to do it or not!
      ".. to love 1 another 2 appreciate his prov for paying for our future..?" Really?
      LOVE=KNOW GOD=WORD=TRUTH!

3. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Oh what a wonderful question my friend. Being a Christian I can answer -tho being a non Christian they can answer also. It is a wonderful day. Cloudy, misty, rainy or snowy. There is a bounce in our step. Being a Christian is a full time job that we fatefully only can do a small percentage of the time. So we kind of fail. But being human and Christian it is our nature to try, try and try again. I wish I could tell you that following Christ or being a Christian was all about faith in God. But an atheist can follow Christ. You do not even have to believe in Christ as a deity to love him and follow him. Strange isn't it? There is no magic wand. Many will tell you that you must say "these words". You must proclaim "this or that" or you must "accept this or that" in your heart. Cool stuff but Christ does not work that way. He told us that His only commandment was to love. It would have been a lot easier if He told me to keep my '53 chevy running smooth. And He told us that God is Love. let me pause.

Whether one claims to be a Christian or not -- If he lives a life according to the commandment of Jesus he is somehow a Christian. Oh we talk about Holy mysteries, and how wonderful they are. But this mystery is straight forward as the reverse is true. If you know God then you know love. If you know love then you know God. A Christian follows Christ. Christ is love. Need I cite Bible verse to show my earnestness? Need I wash in a certain way. Need I proclaim my being saved?
    Christ is love and love is Christ. Make no mistake baby he owns love. If you love then.....
    I profess my gloating in being saved. And so I fail. But I  will keep trying to be a Christian. You are humble, meek and in love with life, you need no confession. So alas, as I try to be Christian I fail, perhaps you can do better.

1. profile image0

I agree with most of your answer, but disagree with the part where you say you don't have to believe in Christ or love Him.  You absolutely have to do both of those things, or it won't matter how what you do.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lolita, I see your point. To be a saved Christian we speak as you do. But in the normal sense of the word Christian it means a follower of Christ. No set rules. You can follow Jesus and not believe in HIs divinity. That is just fact.

3. profile image0

Sorry, but with all due respect, you MUST believe that He is the son of God.  You must.  It is written.

4. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was "saved" at the age of 10, but that's not what is going to get me into the Kingdom of Heaven. What is written in the Roman propagandized version of Christ's word is what I'm talking about. Because it's written doesn't make it so.

5. Kiss andTales profile image62
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Eric who fails is not God's Judgment by imperfect minds as ourselfs,  but we can compare ourselfs with the mirror of God’s Word , it does tell the truth.
      Failure is when we give up trying and applying,We can do what Jesus ask , yes sacrifice a want

6. profile image52

Eric: "IGNORANCE" makes me so "ANGRY" when "IT IS WRITTEN" but MOST to LAZY to STUDY & have created their own "Politically (RELIGIOUS) Correct" JESUS!
      " But an atheist can follow Christ?" What Scripture says this (I Pet 3:15)? Can't answer=U LIE

4. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

It depends on your definition of a "Christian". Do you mean a follower of Jesus Christ or the modern-day definition of fundamentalists who call themselves Christian? A real genuine Christian is honest, loving, kind, quick to help others in need, and non-judgmental. He or she believes in the love of Jesus Christ and follows his teachings, not the teachings of the man-made church. Too many people pass the misogynist teachings of Paul for the teachings of Jesus. They first misinterpret what Paul said, then they pass them off as coming directly from Jesus' mouth.
    They use these various misinterpretations to write their own rules, which they very jealously use to judge their fellow humans. Rules such as no dancing, no cutting of women's hair and even some men's hair and beards, no pants, jeans or slacks for women, and no alcohol, but hey, even our lord not only drank wine, but was guilty of its manufacture. That's different, certain "Christians" will say and you are going to Hell for it. But, our Lord didn't even wear pants, so in their eyes, that should be a sin for men to wear pants. See how ridiculous all man's Christianity is?
    A real Christian listens to his own soul in the teachings of Christ and treats his fellow man by the Golden Rule. The keyword is "Love". Once that is understood the rest falls into place. A very good question, my friend.

1. profile image52

MizB: What Scripture says this (I Pet 3:15)?  A real genuine Christian is...non-judgmental" (Ps 37:30)? 
      Funny how MANY who don't know the LORD know EVERYTHING about HIS WORD!
      If one doesn't KNOW GOD, how can he LOVE according to GOD'S WORD?

5. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

TRUTH and not HYPOCRISY!   
    I know you all get TIRED of me quoting Scriptures, but what would you rather have "my opinion" or the WORD of GOD,  which does NOT LIE when seeking Salvation?
    Everyone keep saying "JESUS is kind, JESUS is merciful, JESUS is not as you for HE was never aggressive, demanding, and will never send people to hell (Lake of Fire)!  Well, I hope I have enough room to "give Scripture," that begs to differ!
    What MOST do not have is the FEAR of GOD portraying HIM as only loving, kind, merciful etc all of the things they've created as their "jesus!"  Prov 9:10 says "The FEAR of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom..." From responses here, do you see FEAR?  MOST speak only of "LOVE" which JESUS commands of us, but only for those ON ONE ACCORD with "The Gospel of Christ!"  Yes, HE told us to "love our enemies" (not their iniquities), but HE also told us to get away from those who constantly deny TRUTH in HIS WORD (Matt 7:6; 10:14)!  If you think JESUS came to bring "peace," read Matt 10:34!  When giving TRUTH (WORD), JESUS says in Hebrews 4:12 "For the WORD of GOD is LIVING, & POWERFUL, & SHARPER THAN ANY TWO-EDGED SWORD..."  If so, does HE portray love, kindness, non-aggressiveness, the numerous things MOST portray of HIM?  Especially, when their belief(s) have been torn down with HIS WORD?  Yes, MOST must find an excuse when the WORD tears down their belief and attack the messenger rather than SEEKING TRUTH (Acts 17:11) and listen to the MESSAGE, "STUDYING" (II Timothy 2:15), to "See if these things are so" (Acts 17:11)!
    Look at JESUS' kindness, love, and non-aggressiveness in the following Scriptures:  Matthew 12; 23, John 8:7; and numerous others!
    I must address MizBejabbers:  Miz, If you would consider the "chronological events" of the New Testament, you will find:  Jesus was born, gave us an example of how to live in the world while fulfilling "some" law, Promised us the Comforter (Holy Spirit), DIED, commanded us to "OBSERVE" the Apostles, told us to "WAIT" for the Holy Spirit, Sent Holy Spirit on Day of Pentecost, told Ananias to go & heal Paul's blindness "For he is "a chosen vessel" unto me" (JESUS), anointed the Apostle Paul to act in HIS stead "continuing fulfilling law!"  If you KNOW Scripture, you KNOW this is TRUE!  If the Apostle was "a chosen vessel" to JESUS, who are "we" to deny GOD'S WORD? 
    In Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10 & 10:16, JESUS (ONE SPIRIT), said "AFTER THOSE DAYS..." & HE DID thru the Apostle Paul & other Apostles as HE does thru us today!

1. profile image52

Eric:"Lopping off head?" There's more than 1 way to "lop off heads!"  IF belief is "twisted" yet cont to defy WORD & stand in "ignorance" persuading others as such="Lopping off heads" r "cause brother to stumble" (Rm14:13-23;ICor8:13)!
      KILLS!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)