what do you think of the bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Bredavies profile image62
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

I'll be honest. I think most of it is bs. I believe in something up there. But a book of stories dating back that far? And the fact that it makes it like every religion is a facade compared to that of Christianity

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you think that because it is old, it has to be false?

It goes against what you believe so it must be false?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image70
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

SirDent, I am quite surprised at how many people feel that history dating back over a thousand or so years ago- really should not matter.  That floors me everytime I come across people like that.  It's nothing personal to the original poster, it is the way millions think to today.  They forget about what gives the backbone, or foundational footing to an event, situation, religion, region, political bearing, and so on and so forth.

1. profile image54
          (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Many good ancient ideals are used today as are ancient ideals of myths and superstitions, being old has nothing to do with it. It is the ideals themselves in question.

Kinda like evolution?

2. Bredavies profile image62
      Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

nope actually that isn't why. Cause I do believe that there is a "god" I just refuse to believe that humans were the first to live on this earth.

3. profile image0
      sarah dawkinsposted 14 years ago

Honestly, I think it is a book of fantasy as I believe that religion was invented to control the masses.

1. Bredavies profile image62
        Bredaviesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes see that s what i mean. Anything that can pull people apart and start ridiculous arguments isn't ok with me. I think people should believe what they want to...not what a book tells them too.

2. profile image0

You said something similar to this before on another thread. I asked you a question afterward.

Who invented this god you speak of and when? Just show me the proof of what you speak. Anyone can answer, it doesn' have to be you.

4. profile image0
      Over The Hillposted 14 years ago

People believe the writings of Plato,Pericles,Aristotle and Socrates.Why not the bible?

That's a very good point.

2. earnestshub profile image78
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because their books are not psychotic? smile

3. Jerami profile image60
        Jeramiposted 14 years ago

The only thing wrong with the bible is that culture has taught that it is acceptable for 100 diffrent people can have 100 diffrent truths as to what it says.

Isn't that the same of every religion?  It is all about interpretation don't you think?

1. Jerami profile image60
            Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is but it isn't supposed to be.

Why do you feel that way, if you don't mind me asking?

4. Jerami profile image60

I guess everyone would say that this is only my interpretation, but I think that where in scripture our undersatnding begins makes all of the diffrence.

Yes indeed it does...  Take the birth of Christianity.  Christ said for his followers to follow the way and practice their faith under James the Just, they were called the Ebionites and then you have Paul on the otherside, and that is called the Pauline doctrine.  From the very beginning of Christianity, it was torn apart.  However, the one interpretation that did however remain a constant in the whole ordeal was Christ's message to love and to be Christ-like.  Nobody needs scripture if you just follow that simple method.  Another aspect is that being Christ-like, is very similar to the actual teachings of the Koran, Torah, and the Buddhist spiritual journey.  Many religions actually echo the same sentiment. 

However, without personal interpretations where would any of us stand?

5. Jerami profile image60

Everyone does have diffrent lessons to learn with each passage concerning how to interrelate with diffrent situations that we experience in life.Yes we can have diffrent interpretations as to how they relate to ourselves.
          But when the Prophesy are concerned, we are not supposed to interpret them to satisfy ourselves. And to properly understand the prophesy gives a fuller understanding of the rest of scripture.
          a scavenger hunt may be a good example.  You have to begin at the right place in order to follow the directions to reach your goal. We do not build a house at the top and make everything fit as we work down toward the foundation. It will never lay properly onto the foundation that is established before we began building.

6. IntimatEvolution profile image70
        IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

If Christ did not want us to freely interrupt scripture, then I do not feel he would have delivered his messages through parables.  Good chatting with you on this topic.

Many of his parables were spoken and then interpreted to the disciples. He mentioned that they were spoken in parables that the unwise among those listeners would not have understood.
             He gave us an overall game plan as to how we were supposed to behave. I don't think that he wanted us to hear his words and follow them as we would the letter of the Law. He directed us to live by the spirit of the word.

"....then interpreted to the disciples." 

I believe, at one point in time his disciples became so frustrated with his parables, since usually they came without the answer, that they question Christ on the subject matter.  He answered them with another parable....

I think we are at an agreement that the bible is interpreted at the very basic level.  Your position that it should not be, does not entirely stand in accordance to this last statement.   Your statement, "He directed us to live by the spirit of the word.", speaks volumes that indeed the spirit of the word is interplayed with the minds of man. 

You know- Christ never gave us a set of tablets to follow.  He never wrote any of his personal answers down to paper or stone.  He never left us with a set of laws to live by.  No where did he ever do this.  To be Christ-like is an individual journey.  Some need the bible as an inspiration, some need the bible to cling too, some need it as a dust magnet.  If we, were to follow some sort of made up letter to the law, then when he said to follow James, all gentiles should have converted to Judaism and became an Ebionite and follower of Abraham and Moses law.
            However, there was Paul, a Roman Pagan turned Christian, in the background who opened the doors to Christ's message in his own way. The bases of Christianity comes from this birth.

I think that we are in basic agreement.  In the,how we should follow Christ aspect, scripture would have to be a little adjustable on some issues because it is a "one size fits all" sort of thing but not really. I do not find the proper words that I intend.

Sometimes I get a bit carried away concerning the prophesy side of scripture. This may not be important to some but for me they seem to be of most importance. Many things are revealed to us when we understand them. And to do so; the elimination of private interpretation is essential.
                   In reality we do not have to understand them in order to
                 be redeemed. But there are so much misinterpretation of these end time prophesy that there would have to be many Christians being deceived and misled into believing that there is plenty of time until the end, because the Temple has to be built first (False)  and there has to be a one world government set up first (false) That they are going to put a mark on our forehead  or on our hand (false), etc.
                 This is my belief anyway.
                And I have enjoyed this conversation with you as well

7. waynet profile image67
        waynetposted 14 years ago

It is one of the best bunch of made up stories ever told and it has served it's purpose of inspiring art and stories since it's authoring, I regularly read it to be inspired to write stories of my own and create some art and demon art based on the central Jesus character....so the bible is....Brilliant!!

That is definitely one great way to look at the bible. I feel that way about the Koran. Beautiful poetry.

8. getitrite profile image72
        getitriteposted 14 years ago

The bible is mostly nonsense.  Definitely not devine-only through a giant leap of faith.

9. aware profile image68
        awareposted 14 years ago

its fiction folks. me.. i cant get angry at fiction.im no bible thumper  .or basher. if the bible is your thing.then your thing is cool by me . even tho its not my thing. lets let  our thingys be safe from attack from others with other things in mind.
        thats kinda like poetry.lol

1. ladyjane1 profile image70
          ladyjane1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I definitely hear you. I have never known a topic that has generated so much anger amongst "christians". I have a sister that is a bible thumper and I am definitely not but we get into a discussion and she gets so angry with my comments and I just laugh and it makes her even more angry. But kidding aside, religion, the bible, christianity has been responsible for more deaths in the world than any war ever has. I don't get it. Although I do believe in a higher power I do call him God but I'm not sure about the bible.

10. DogSiDaed profile image60
        DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

I thought it was quite a good story. I hope the sequel is better... They've been working on it a while so it better be!

11. aware profile image68
        awareposted 14 years ago

i dont read books older than me as a rule

12. Lady Summerset profile image70
        Lady Summersetposted 14 years ago

It's a haven in the midst of strong storms.  I'm thankful for the wisdom, love, and peace that I find when the walls of life began to implode.

13. efeguy profile image38
        efeguyposted 14 years ago

great book.

the best book on earth.

1. tantrum profile image61
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you're wrong there. Mohit's book of poems is ranked over it, and over the Qu'ran as well. Or So he says.

14. aguasilver profile image71
        aguasilverposted 14 years ago

I think it's the manufacturers handbook on life, it has all the information you need (though  not all you may want) it will protect you in times of danger, it will feed you if you let it 'consume' you first and it will lead anybody who seeks to find the answer.

It frightens the life out of the enemy, and I have seen large men leap backwards when the bible has even touched them or been pointed at them.

It provides all the answers needed to answer Christ's critics.

It's also a great read and has provided all the major story lines for literature.

Trolls and Sock puppets need not bother replying to this post.

1. profile image0

Good post. There are many things written that are hard to do and understand. Many things required of believers that are notg easily done. To live a Holy life is hard to do but without it, you will not see God.

1. kess profile image59
            kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This tells me you serve the God of the bible.
            The one true God is not known by words in a book.

Even the bible says so but you still don't understand.

2. profile image54
          (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like a cattle prod?

15. profile image0
        poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

I love it, it has a positive message, not always easy to understand, but if you take the time to study it, you will benefit i feel i do.....

16. earnestshub profile image78
        earnestshubposted 14 years ago

How else does one arrive at a belief in a sky fairy then? lol

1. wesleyacarter profile image58
          wesleyacarterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

still ranting about this "sky fairy".

should i get involved today. i think, earnest, i'll just make like a Beatles album and let it be. haha

good to see you in action buddy

1. earnestshub profile image78
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All a matter of interpretation Wesley, I don't rant. smile

17. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
        Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

I think the Bible is one big metaphor.

A person may take the teachings metaphorically if they wish as long as they follow their understandings of them.
             However I do not believe the prophesy can be seen in that respect. And they have time lines that they are all going to be fulfilled within.

2. mohitmisra profile image59
          mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes in order to define god.

18. profile image0
        jcmmanuelposted 14 years ago

The bible is a great book if you understand its merits as a historical account in the first place. E.g. people who read it as a textbook to use today will - in the case of non-christians - often point out the stuff about slaves and so on (and justified so, at least in the face of bible literalists who treat the bible as a cookery book rather than the excellent Jewish/Christian monotheistic 'history of God'). Hence, against the typical 'bible thumpers' you have the average 'atheism thumpers' like Christopher Hitchens etc. who never even want to make sense of the book. But a historian reads that differently and will notice that this Jewish constitution had - in the given example - rules in place for the protection of slaves long before the Greeks. We need to see all progress against the given time frame, its social & cultural context etc. From this perspective, the Bible makes perfect sense to me also rationally. Criticizing the text is of course okay, but not, for instance, merely stigmatizing it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)