What makes the more conservative, dogmatic, traditional, &/or fundamentalist Chr

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

What makes the more conservative, dogmatic, traditional, &/or fundamentalist Christian

view Atheists/Agnostics in a less than positive light?  Please state your reasons.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12086939_f260.jpg

2. Craig Suits profile image63
    Craig Suitsposted 9 years ago

There is only one realistic reason; Years and years of unopposed training and practice usually begun as a child. Even at this point in time if faced with factual, provable truth, the believer will stick to his/her beliefs no matter what.
    It's simple mind control our learned religious leaders have mastered over the millennia. They claim to have all the answers and back up their performances with all the Broadway theatrics, magnificent buildings, practiced stage shows, holy this and holy that, that seemingly corroborates every word they say even though they know nothing more than you or I.
    It's a very simply method of marketing. Works too doesn't it?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good answer sir.

2. Robert the Bruce profile image60
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Craig, your first paragraph nailed it! Children are usually indoctrinated into that system from birth and it's very difficult for facts and reason to make any difference in that person's mind. I know from experience.

3. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Like RTB, I was also indoctrinated with Christian stuff. My family still practices that mind control to this day. What is it that makes some of us wake up and see the truth? and others never do?

4. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some of us REALLY wake up to see religion for the toxic inanity it is.  Others KNOW this but prefer to remain in their delusional psychotic devotion to religion. Many people are religious addicts but refuse to acknowledge it!

5. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

People may be addicts under another imperfect humans opinion, which is not God's opinion. Reference Bible Isa 55:8 “For the thoughts of YOU people are not my thoughts, nor are my ways YOUR ways,” is the utterance of Jehovah.  .
      He sees the heart.

6. Trucidus profile image60
      Trucidusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I did not grow up in the Church, nor did anyone around me believe.  I did not come to religion through a crisis.  I came to faith through relentless study.  I'm not the only one.  Many great thinkers set out to disprove God and decided they couldn't.

3. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

In answering any of your questions I try to , but your choice in words are a challenge, since I do not consider myself any of the titles you chose. 
    But rather a person be Atheist  or Agnostic , we all have something in common ,and that is life and we share this planet as nieghbors , I believe that we all have different backgrounds that mold our beliefs and standards, and many times that is the only truth we know, but as we become in Adult hood we should be able to filter and determine the right and wrong of certain beliefs. We can not do this on our own ,there is help.
    But many refuse it.
    I am surly convince in truth that there is a knowledge higher then humans, the one who keeps the planet tuning on its axis, who keeps the sun shinig for our warmth,and the moon for our light ,and balance of the earth,
    The earth produces our needs daily because he allows it. Reference Bible Mt 5:45 that YOU may prove yourselves sons ofYOUR Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous. 

He determines who those people are from the heart ,We can not.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60

We all are equal as humans , but as the saying goes we will march at the sound of a different drum, according to what you understand and here.
      We do not all here the same tune.

4. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

Every religion thinks they are right about God. In truth they cannot see beyond the conditioning that they have bought into or that their parents forced on them. Every religion is against total freedom. That's why all of them are trying to pull people into their church. What's wrong with freedom from all religions?

1. Craig Suits profile image63
      Craig Suitsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Freedom from religious organizations is what we desperately need but before we can cure the common cold, the germs that cause this devastating illness must be eliminated, Keep your money in your pockets. That's a guaranteed cure...

2. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good answer, Craig!

3. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

trucidus, I appreciate this truth that many will experience  the journey of study,Php 1:9 And this is what I continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment;
      Accurate is important.

5. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 9 years ago

Often, they're raised that way.  If they become that way later in life, a lot of times it's because they have a debilitating illness or accident, and as a result, very little control over their lives.  Since they don't know what comes after death, they'd rather play it safe and be conservative.

6. profile image58
    Afogposted 9 years ago

I was an atheist until I had an experience with God. So I'd have to say to you that a lot of people have not. Some who are labeled "Christian" haven't had that experience either because they are nominal in their beliefs. So a Conservative is someone who's experience is not nominal.

Just as pagans have their contrived gods so many religions bolster theirs. But I believe there is one true living God as I also  believe there is one true living enemy of souls called Satan. Satan has one many battles in destroying faith in the  true God. All the battles he's one find their source in the selfishness of the person  who wants to  go  their own way.

I believe  you should go the way you want. I defend you in that effort. So defend me in my personal choice to go a different way also. That way we can both show some respect for each other.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60

Wonderfully well addressed, I appreciate you sharing your point of view, and I so agree with you  that not all people have experienced what others have.
      So we can not judge people all the same ,like a doctor can not treat all his patients the same.

7. Trucidus profile image60
    Trucidusposted 8 years ago

Well, this is a loaded question really, but I just had to answer.  Many fundamentalist Christians view a lot of people in a "less than positive light."  I believe that are completely undermining their own faith.  The first four commandments are about how to love God, the last six are about how to love your neighbor. 

Positive precepts (with the exception of love) do not hold universally valid.  That is to say, there is nothing you should do (with the exception of love) in all cases.  only negative precepts hold valid... Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, etc.  If one would rather die than commit evil, then one never need commit evil.  This is a point of confusion among many fundamentalists.  They think that because one should never commit evil, they can easily judge those around them.

The reason I wanted to answer this question was to point out that what makes religion great is not errors of wars and inquisitions, it's that broken men and women get to participate in His mission.  I did not come to faith through crisis.  My parents did not force it on me.  In fact, everything around me points me away from faith.  At the end of the day however, after searching the world for a cure to the "religious cancer" myself, I join the ranks of many before me.  St. Augustine, C.S. Lewis, Einstein...  With careful thought and sincere seeking, you will find the answer.  The truth is there... It's the heart you must find it in.

I'll leave you all with one question... What is it that makes the atheists and agnostics view us Christians in a less than positive light?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)