Why are there so many questions about atheists?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. iggy7117 profile image76
    iggy7117posted 2 years ago

Why are there so many questions about atheists?

Believing there is no God is believing there is nothing. Why wonder so much about people that believe in nothing?

2. Link10103 profile image73
    Link10103posted 2 years ago

If nothing else, its just a counter to the questions about Christians/theists as a whole.

I do want to note however that atheism does not equate to "believing in nothing".

3. Titen-Sxull profile image85
    Titen-Sxullposted 2 years ago

1) Not all atheists believe there is no God, some simply lack belief that there is one.

2) Believing there is no God does not mean believing there is nothing.

There are questions about atheists for numerous reasons. Some are just curious. Others want to start a debate or discussion. Religion and atheism are things that people talk about on the internet because it's generally not polite or socially prudent to debate these things openly in our everyday lives. In some parts of America you could lose your job for admitting to being an atheist.

Here online however we are free to disagree and discuss the topic freely.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

While this won't answer your question, it is related on a larger issue.
    Labels are the school yard name calling used by adults in this new century.
    Labels are meant to be a put down, rather than a short hand description of a person or their views.

Labels are like Black and White, while the people and the world are infinite shades of gray. Forget the dictionary description of words, because when it comes to people, it is like fingerprints. Sure all the fingers sort of look similar, but the fingerprints are unique.

If I exceeded your parameters for answering the ?, please delete.

Not believing in the God of some group or person, can be different than not believing in a God. for example.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image93
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I honestly have no idea why atheism is such a hot topic on HubPages.

And I have to echo the sentiment that atheism isn't the same as believing in nothing. It's inaccurate in the same way that saying 'believing in god is believing in unicorns'. It oversimplifies a massive group of people in a condescending manner.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image82
      LoisRyan13903posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thankfully it is not that way on Blog Job

6. jlpark profile image83
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

My opinion only.

Because for some people, it's confusing that one does not believe in God, or Gods in general. For those of faith, it is impossible to fathom how someone could not believe in the God that they have faith in. So they could either be threatened by it, or ask those people about it.

Asking questions about something that confuses you is an intelligent way of doing things - that way you will learn about that which you don't understand, and therefore not fear it anymore.

Lack of understanding is the root of most hatred - people fear what they don't understand, and for some, this turns into hatred/anger against those who confuse them

I'm fine with all the questions - I like the fact that people are willing to ask and broaden their horizons. I know that most of those of faith will not change to be atheist based on an answer I give - but I don't want that anyway - atheism is what works for me, and faith is what works for them.

I ask my own questions of those of faith, as I seek to understand more about their religion, and am thankful that people will answer those queries.

I guess for those of faith - nothing could be more perplexing than someone who cannot believe in the best thing that they've come across in their lives. I dunno.

7. B M Gunn profile image61
    B M Gunnposted 2 years ago

Atheists believe in what there is evidence for.

8. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12455085_f260.jpg

Atheists are often viewed as the other, outsiders, & .....different.  They are in the minority.  People love to question what is considered different from their paradigm.  Atheists represent a different paradigm than what most people are used to.  Difference is viewed as suspect by many.  Besides being different from the so-called accepted sociopolitical paradigm, atheists are also unfamiliar.  Unfamiliarity makes many people quite uncomfortable.  People are more comfortable w/others familiar to them.

Atheists also expose people to uncertain paradigms.  What if there is no God?  That idea is enough to unhinge many people.  People are used to believing in some sort of  god or deity.  Atheists threaten, even upset such people's comfortable paradigm.  They are also viewed as the taboo breakers in society.  They expose people to thought process which is seen as forbidden, even taboo.  The premise is that one had better believe in a god or else.  Well, atheists don't do this.  Many people find atheism simply strange & forbidden as atheists break socioreligious rules as to what & what not to do.

9. roob profile image81
    roobposted 2 years ago

because non believers tend to really hate the Lord and His word. It tends to not go away.

I know when I was a non believer I could not stop questioning believers and trying to discourage them with my questions and doubts. In the end I had enough faith after what I saw/heard to believe in God again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)