jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)

What actually provides solace to the heart of an Atheist?

1. m abdullah javed profile image78
    m abdullah javedposted 2 years ago

What actually provides solace to the heart of an Atheist?

2. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 2 years ago

A variety of things I would imagine. I doubt there's any one particular thing.

m abdullah javedposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That's good, Link, just name a few, with just some words of description.

3. Ericdierker profile image57
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

This made me think about the fact that most people do not "always" stay focused on God. So a believer would much of the time, find solace the same as an Atheist. A warm embrace, little puppies, the smile of a child, reassurance from a loved one. Trying one's best. Knowing that tomorrow is a new day. Plants they grew and plants they find beautiful and interesting. Even certain foods. A good night's rest. A positive attitude.

Maybe I am wrong.

It may be true, but how is that the outcome of both belief in God and disbelief are the same?

2. Ericdierker profile image57
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well why not? If one is a believer they can also see God in all the wonders of the world. I can't imagine that an Atheist would not find wonderment and solace. But there is no solace like the one found  in belief.

3. m abdullah javed profile image78

That's what I wanted to know Eric, what's that "solace" which is different from that of a believer?

4. junkseller profile image87
    junksellerposted 2 years ago

A sunrise, kisses, sand on a beach, softly falling snow, owls in  the moonlight, friendship, laughter, campfires, clean sheets, body warmth, going home, poetry, contemplating cosmic possibilities, a well placed adjective, pianos, discovery, mystery, that girl across the room...

Of course, that is just a few of the things for which I have words.

Thanks junkseller, if it is this way that gives him comfort then what relation he has with these things and with the One Who has bestowed them?

2. junkseller profile image87
      junksellerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

None. Same as everyone else. He just doesn't pretend that his imagination is an absolute truth.

Thanks junkseller, If he doesn't pretend his imagination to be absolute truth then how come he enjoys and finds comfort?

4. junkseller profile image87
      junksellerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

He finds comfort knowing that his imagination is only the beginning, beyond which lies infinite possibilities and wonder.

5. m abdullah javed profile image78

Oh that's great. What's that strength called, which has such a strong  sense of imagination? How he develops it?

5. RoadMonkey profile image85
    RoadMonkeyposted 2 years ago

What sort of solace do you mean? Why does a person need solace? Do they need it all the time or only at particular times, for instance, the death of a loved one? Or are you talking about general living?

Thanks grandma, I mean in general and also at the time of sorrow, greif, losses and testing times.

2. RoadMonkey profile image85
      RoadMonkeyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

People do not necessarily need solace or comfort from outside every day, unless they are depressed. Solace is seen as sanctuary, help, comfort and protection from woes. Does anyone need solace every day?

If your heart is at peace and content of what favor and unfavorable things happen is what we mean of Solace. It is not needed from outside rather it's an inner urge. It is as comprehensive and encompassing as our demands and necessities are.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I can't speak for all atheists, but for me it's storytelling. Whether that comes in the form of a book, movie, television show, or even a video game. Wrapping oneself in a story provides perspective, camaraderie, and a deeper understanding of the human experience. It does this while also illustrating our endless creativity and honesty.

Thanks Dremer. It means your heart has been synchronized with a few things of the outside world. What do you think of the agency that acts between your heart and the outside stuff, and why it's ultimately resulting in pleasure?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
      M. T. Dremerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Stories are vessels of communication and understanding. We enjoy them because they prompt us to think and take us places we can't physically go. It is simultaneously escapism and fitness for the brain.

7. ambassadorbutler7 profile image61
    ambassadorbutler7posted 2 years ago

That there is no God. But the fool in his heart say that there is no God.

Couldn't understand Brandon, could you please elaborate.

8. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 22 months ago

It depends on what type of solace the person needs.  When I had PTSD from my experiences in the cult, (which destroyed my faith in God in the process), I found comfort in reading about people who had been through far worse, to see how they handled it.  That's when I started reading about Elie Wiesel, who was originally planning to become a rabbi, until his faith in God was destroyed at the first sight of Auschwitz.  He, and a lot of Holocaust survivors, deal with the aftermath by speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves and performing humanitarian services, to give their lives meaning.  I am trying to do the same, by writing and promoting my facts-of-life books for teens.  I do so in the hope they won't make the same mistakes I made (that's another topic).

working