jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

How much truth exists within religion, and do you believe there is only 1 true r

1. bluesradio profile image75
    bluesradioposted 2 years ago

How much truth exists within religion, and do you believe there is only 1 true religion?

2. ValKaras profile image85
    ValKarasposted 2 years ago

In the first place, when we talk about "truth", we have to be careful not to mention "beliefs" in the same breath. At its best, belief can pose as a "personal truth", and it's more than fine, since there is no one called upon to call it "untrue". To one person his wife may be "truly" the most beautiful human creation ever appearing under the sun  -  while so many others won't bother glancing that woman twice while passing by.

Something very similar is the fact about religion. You put together a Moslem and a Christian, and listen to their stories, and you just won't believe that two apparently normal human beings can talk so passionately about a totally different "truth".

We are used to agreeing upon all "major truths", like oxygen being in the air, and our planet revolving around the sun  -  so it becomes a huge surprise to hear people saying completely different things about this kind of "major truth",  like "how we were created; what's the name of our creator", "which rules of conduct we should follow". etc.

I don't think there is ANY "one true" religion, but I respect others' belief that THEIRS is the one. What others choose to believe is their business, and here I can only express my own thoughts.

To me, something like "believing" is even not important aspect of my worldview. It doesn't make any difference to me, and to be perfectly honest with you, I am a sort of surprised that people have something like a "label" for not believing  -  like "atheism". I am not an "activist" against religion, or a pusher of anti-religious views.
    At least in my case I find it silly that anyone would call me an "atheist". If they insist, then from now on they can also call me a "non-broccoli-eater", a "non-skier", a "non-pilot", etc.

To me, there is no "truth" in any religion whatsoever. It's about "believing", not about "knowing". I know there is oxygen in the air; I know objects fall down when thrown, and I know many other things. Other than "knowing", I am also having emotions  -  about my favorite music, babies, cute animals, art..etc.
    But I am not in any way relating with folks who make a big deal of their deliberate mind's constructs like "beliefs". It's their choice, not "truth".
    But again, to each his own, and it makers no difference to me what people choose to call their truth.

1. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I am having trouble with these two sentences; " I am not an "activist" against religion, or a pusher of anti-religious views." and "To me, there is no "truth" in any religion whatsoever". Those sure seem strangely like a politician.

2. ValKaras profile image85
      ValKarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Eric -  All you have to do is sort out your impressions and then you won't see the nonexistent  -  which may be a little hard for a believer.

3. bluesradio profile image75
      bluesradioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I personally just find it hilarious that one would believe that there is the only way....I just can't see a God that doesn't look at people in their entirety, and not just their spiritual aspects or what Church they attend.... maybe I'm just dreamer.

4. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Vlad, My impressions have served me well and I don't expect I will rid myself of them. You atheists crack me up you pretend to know what a believer knows. And the best is that "I was a believer" so I know. NOT. If you do not believe you do not know.

5. Say Yes To Life profile image82
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You are wise to realize no single religion has Absolute Truth. People who are convinced such a religion exists are more prone to join cults. However, all religions have some truth to them.

working