Can smoking cigarettes hinder a Christians prayer life?

1. Team Wiseman profile image82
    Team Wisemanposted 2 years ago

Can smoking cigarettes hinder a Christians prayer life?

2. Besarien profile image87
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

It hinders life in general, so my answer is yes. I smoked about two packs a day but quit when I found out I was pregnant with my son. Any true addiction to anything is a drag on your life and your soul. Ask yourself, if cigarettes and caffeine became impossible for you to find, what would you do for your next cup of coffee and a cigarette? My true answer to that before my son came along would not have been pretty.

3. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

Yes and no. Some smokers live to be a 100, and some Saints did smoke. However, it is generally agreed that smoking is injurious to health.

One can argue from the standpoint that the body is the Temple, vehicle or instrument of the Spirit. It is also a known fact that when we are sick or suffer from infirmity, we do not pray or sit in Silence so well, as our aches and anxieties soon come to the fore. So in that sense it's harmful, along with many other things that affect our ability to relate to God.

My Spiritual Teacher always recommended a healthy, wholesome lifestyle for spiritual pursuit. I can tell you from my own experience, that when the Higher Forces descend in prayer, they can be so powerful that the inner vessel needs to be strong enough to receive and assimilate the experience. Much Love.