What length of devotional do you prefer?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 2 years ago

What length of devotional do you prefer?

You want enough material to inspire you; but not more than it takes to make a point you can remember throughout the day.  How many minutes do you think that would take?

2. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

A few minutes, no more than five, is enough for me, MsDora. I like reading my Daily Word every day. The one-page of inspiration followed by a scripture is just right, with a theme for the day.

MsDoraposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Jan.  This is the kind of information I'm looking for.

3. Ericdierker profile image47
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

Dora my devotionals are short. Just a few lines. But I must say that on some days even first thing in the morning my mind races. And so it may take several minutes of rereading and breathing to let the thought soak in and take hold. But I always then take the time to give thanks for the devotional.

Eric, I know what you mean about those busy thoughts making it hard to experience quietness.  Giving thanks is a great idea.

4. Michael-Milec profile image60
    Michael-Milecposted 2 years ago

Hm MsDora,  If that would mean expressing reverence, awe, singing in spirit and praising (in my mood)- most of my awaken time inside my spirit-man I have song- melody or  talk with the Father (Jesus / the Holy Spirit all in the One)- that when I work- occupy. In my off of "work force"  not measuring time,occasionally i might lose track of time that when I am "out there in a sphere of eternity."

I hear you. Michael.  I can see that you live in an attitude of praise and devotion.  Thank God for your example!

5. profile image56
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

A couple of Scriptures came to mind when I saw your question. 

I.  In Psalm  34:1 David said, "I will bless the LORD at "ALL times:" his praise shall "continually" be in my mouth."  To "bless the LORD at ALL times," means to constantly tell others what GOD says about any given situation and "continually to be in my mouth" means ALWAYS give others Scripture and Verse in which GOD has spoken WORD.  Consequently, it will not be "you" talking, but the LORD!  You will also be "teaching" all nations in accordance with what was commanded of us in Matthew 28:20!  And the other:

II.  The Prophet Isaiah said in Isaiah 26:3-4, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose "mind" is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. (v4) Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is "everlasting strength!"  Who doesn't want "perfect peace" which is acquired by "trusting" and having "faith" in HIS WORD which gives us "everlasting strength?"    Then one will be able to say, "I can do ALL things through Christ who "strengthens" me" (paraphrasing: Philippians 4:13;)!
    Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ!"
    Galatians 5:17 says our flesh wars against the Spirit.  "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would."  However, did you see the preceding verse (v16)?  "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh."  Consequently, it should be a Christian's position to "devotion" with GOD ALL DAY so we will not "lust after the things of the flesh!"

REMEMBER:  Trash in, trash out!  WORD in, WORD out!

Thank you, Norine.  I like the Scriptures you quoted.

2. profile image56
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dora!   
      I agree with Michael's response!  ALL DAY LONG!

6. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

I think Psalms are popular and excellent. The Christ is super-excellent in a few examples. Basically, a devotional is a piece that reaches out to Something or Someone Higher, usually expressing longing; yearning; and inner cry for more Peace, Bliss, Delight ...

Again, it can take the way of praise, adoration, surrender, steadfastness or one-pointedness, rememberance...

You can take a couple from the Christ or Psalms or the book I gave you, the second part of the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis and just repeat them daily. Devotionals were originally short, aphoristic, sublime, profound and expressed as songs or sutras in the East.

They were handed down orally rather like the Haiku, and we or the seeker was simply meant to ponder or think on its meaning. Even the Zen Koans have this original idea. Many devout seekers could not read or write, and were simple men and women.  Here are some short daily thoughts:

"I think of God, because He is the only thought."
    "He who loves, never grows old. God is a shining example."
    "The Soul of man is greater than his fate."
    "Love is the yearning of the One for the One."

"O Bible, the Saviour has taken away my sins, will you not take away, my little, little worries at least?"

"Jesus was great, greater was His mercy, greatest was His sacrifice." -All from Sri Chinmoy.

They can be longer or shorter of course. "Jesus wept." Why?

Thanks, Manatita.  Presently, I'm compiling some devotionals and just thought it would be good to hear about some readers' expectations.  I heard one of my preachers quote from Kempis not long ago.  His devotional thoughts are really deep!

2. manatita44 profile image82
      manatita44posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes. As all of those with God experience. You can be like that too, or perhaps you already are. If not, let go and let God. ha ha. Easier said than done. Much practice necessary.

3. profile image56
      Norine Williamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"Practice?" See what happens when 1 doesn't believe in THE GOD v Sri Chinmoy or would believe Bible? Rem II Kings? IF "all" would "WAIT" (Acts 1:4) 1 wouldn't need "practice!"
      1 had 2 ask u if u loved God u're so into other god! GOD "sees!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)