jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Why is perception of atheists as having a different set of values so widespread?

1. KEPitz1005 profile image60
    KEPitz1005posted 23 months ago

Why is perception of atheists as having a different set of values so widespread?

I'm noticing all these questions asking if atheists believe in good & evil and other stuff about morals & values. I'm curious as to why, if one is a non-believer, it's assumed they're lacking in ethics, honor, or a moral code of what's right & wrong? Why should a belief in a "God" be a determining factor in basic human decency?

2. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 23 months ago

Because people can be stupid.

That's honestly the level of pessimism I've gotten to after seeing the things people say on here about not just atheists, but anyone, including towards people of the same/similar faiths.

3. PhoenixV profile image67
    PhoenixVposted 23 months ago

The questions are not inquiries into whether they have these qualities but Why they subscribe to, how they account for subjective morality and virtues. They are subjective and intangible, yet atheists are offended that people should even question their * belief in them.  And thats just a partial answer to your question. BTW. Where Did you all acquire these beliefs?

KEPitz1005posted 23 months agoin reply to this

I don't think I've expressed any beliefs - or lack thereof here. I'm simply curious because I've seen the same types of questions on other sites.

4. Paladin_ profile image83
    Paladin_posted 23 months ago

I have a sneaking suspicion -- though I'm not entirely sure -- that all these seemingly inane questions are at least partially intended to drive all the atheist-produced hubs off the front page of the "Atheism and Agnosticism" section. Even if this is not the motivation, it's still unfortunately far too easy to bury the product of someone's hard work with a dozen one-sentence questions whose answers should be patently obvious.

Just a thought...

5. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 23 months ago

Most people relate being religious with being moral, and conversely, not being religious with not being moral. People think if you don't believe in god, you must not believe in anything, which makes you an immoral person.

In my experience, religion has very little to do with morality, beyond giving lip service to certain moral principles. Whether or not someone has religion, or goes to church, often has little to do with whether they're a good person, a good neighbor, and a good citizen.

KEPitz1005posted 23 months agoin reply to this

Exactly, Lisa. I couldn't agree more. Thank you for your response!

working