What Would Our World Be Like Without Atheism?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image66
    PhoenixVposted 2 years ago

What Would Our World Be Like Without Atheism?

Not that I would ever advocate, suggest or imply the eradication of a humans  personal belief system, which I do not believe is possible or even appropriate to suggest, but asked in response to a similar current question.

2. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image74
    Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 2 years ago

Generally speaking, atheism is a particularly modern phenomenon (20th and 21st century) and is an ideology most prevalent in the developed world (especially Europe and China) that tends to have higher education levels and economic safety nets. So, for example, this question would have revolutionary effects in a country like Sweden but negligible effects in Saudi Arabia.

Personally speaking, regardless of what you believe, atheism is a challenge to truth claim(s) or whatever supernatural beliefs you may uphold. Ultimately, mature, vetted beliefs can only triumph when they are tested, scrutinized, and are proven to endure under pressure. There are many things that I may disagree with atheists on, but without atheism, I would never be forced to use my full intellectual imagination to refine what I believe and why I believe it.

1. Ericdierker profile image51
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think your notion that faith must be questioned and tested is very correct. It is tough sometimes when you think you are under attack, But we need to get over that.

3. junkseller profile image83
    junksellerposted 2 years ago

Considering they have had such little influence and power throughout history, I think it would look mostly as it does today (probably worse, in my opinion). A world full of disease, hunger, and conflict with enormous populations of people who put absolute faith in fairytales while simultaneously decrying legitimate science and rational discourse to solve problems.

1. Ericdierker profile image51

Wow that is pretty negative stuff. I am sure you have your reasons.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image46
      The0NatureBoyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

JS, If man didn't judge the opposites we would maintain our body's chemical balance and be disease free.  Because we judge taste and refuse to eat things our bodies need our bodies become diseased.  To overcome judging and we overcome all diseases.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13061897_f260.jpg

Truth be told everyone is born an atheist!
    God and religion are {taught to us}.
    I believe the atheists would join one of the many established religions and fight over which one is "the one" that leads to a heavenly afterlife.
    According to a survey by Adherents.com years ago it was determined that atheists only make up 14% of the world population.
    Essentially 86% of the world is affiliated with a religion or believes God exists! Anytime you have close to 90% of people in agreement on anything odds are the small percentage who disagree aren't the problem. Lots of folks buy into "My God is the true God" or Your minister is a "false prophet" or your religion is a "cult" "We're the only ones who get to go to heaven!"...etc  If you don't believe as me:
    "You are going to hell!" Blah Blah Blah

1. PhoenixV profile image66
      PhoenixVposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You'd think, but I doubt that'd be too touching an epitaph for those that had the misfortune of being born in a country with  state sponsored atheism in the last hundred years.

2. aguasilver profile image74
      aguasilverposted 2 years agoin reply to this

From personal observation, I would disagree... we are actually born from spirit to flesh, and dependent upon the spiritual environment surrounding us, we either are affected by positive or negative spiritual forces, that decides who we become.

3. Ericdierker profile image51

I think saying everyone is born an atheist is like saying everyone is born colorblind because they do not know how to verbalize colors. There is just know way to be certain or to prove that a child is not born knowing God.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

John and Eric I believe you both are missing my point.
      Religion or "the word of God" are {taught}.
      Eric, Ask any 2 or 3 year old who hasn't been to church or Sunday school who God is. They can't tell you. I was born without knowing of a God.

5. The0NatureBoy profile image46
      The0NatureBoyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree, DS, God is a taught thing off  the "tree of judgmental adjectives" along with good/evil, right/wrong, pretty/ugly and the like.

5. The0NatureBoy profile image46
    The0NatureBoyposted 2 years ago

Atheism is the other side of Theism so there would not be either if there was not neither. 

When we interpret at "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" metaphor it suggests anything without "Evidence and Substance" supporting their existence is nothing more than one person preferring one half of a category over the other based on since perception.  Theism and Atheism are like good/evil, pretty/ugly, like/dislike and the many other "judgmental adjectives" man use substituting for the names of things.  Example: rather than calling a killing a killing man usually use either judgmental adjective bad or evil instead.

The world -- civilization, not earth -- is developed because of opposites man are required comprehend the purpose for.  As long as we use judgmental adjectives "woman" and "human" [both meaning incomplete man] will over indulge in half and over abstain from the other half rather than seeking their purposes which would be eating from "the tree of life."  The earth is composed of those opposites for man's learning which causes human and woman to return to being man through the metamorphosis called "mew birth." 

See http://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy … d-and-Evil

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)