jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Can you sacrifice your Religion just for the sake of your true love?

1. Happy Knees profile image60
    Happy Kneesposted 13 months ago

Can you sacrifice your Religion just for the sake of your true love?

Religion vs  Relationship
    For example: His/Her Religion was Islam and you are Christian? What are you going to do?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13458217_f260.jpg

2. The0NatureBoy profile image46
    The0NatureBoyposted 13 months ago

There are two definitions for religion. The original definition is "THE way of life that teaches one the purpose for life" which means one is allowed to do whatever is required to understand life. The common definition is "a belief in some deity one is responsible to for their actions" stemming from accepting the knowledge of good and evil as sin.

I defend "love" as indifference or "being in the joining point of love and hate" which integrates them so completely that neither of the two is realized. The common definition for "love" derives from the Adam and Eve metaphor of man's yin and yang being separated and only half remain in either party [disregarding the body's design which causes homosexuality] which cause the magnetic effect when coming into close contact with the missing half. I call it "opposite attraction" love.

Using the first of religion's and love's definitions I see no need for forsaking either, they are both all encompassing.

For the common definitions of them the parties must make the decision for themselves. It is something every life-force has to experience as each gender sometime during their earth sojourn and both decision has to be made by each life-force as both a boy and a girl and the decision not to as both, thus, one must decide at some stage in their sojourn to and not to as both genders, which doesn't allow for an external source to decide for anyone else, they must do it for themselves.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 13 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13459152_f260.jpg

People do whatever (they) want to do.
    It really comes down to {how important} it is for one's mate to be of the same religion. If it means that much then they should probably only date people with that "must have" aspect.
    Truth be told if you're only casually dating religion shouldn't be a big deal. That's something a couple considering marriage or having children might discuss.
    Lots of people have converted from one religion to another for numerous reasons. Kings have abdicated thrones for love.
    I recall Kate Capshaw converting to Judaism to marry Steven Spielberg. People do all kinds of things for love & money.
    Last but not least just because someone identifies them self as being a part of a religion doesn't mean they conduct their life following the tenants of said religion. They may be flexible.
    One of my best friends in California married a Mormon woman and he later became a Mormon. No demands were made.
    Needless to say when they were dating neither one of them were living a "religious life".

Happy Kneesposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Yes I agree on you especially on being flexible. You will do everthing for her. And religion is never an issue to the both of you. Thank you dashing scorpio. Have a nice day smile

4. profile image59
    peter565posted 13 months ago

As I always say to other people, romantic love is not worth sacrifice. I won't make any sacrifice for another person, in a relationship and I won't allow other people to make sacrifice for me either. Nobody is worth it, neither me, nor other.

Thank you for your positive feedback. Peter smile Have a nice day

5. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 13 months ago

Happy Knees (?? That's a curious profile name, to say the Least!) 
    While healthy relationships often require some give and take, bending and stretching, as well as compromise~~My immediate question is, "Why must anyone feel compelled to sacrifice an integral part of themselves/their lifestyle for anyone?"
    Hopefully we fall in love with the whole person, enjoy their company and have much in common. It would seem to follow that we also respect their system of beliefs and ideals. Is it acceptable or fair to expect someone we love to make a drastic personal change or alter their system of tenets so that they might be molded into what we think is the "perfect mate?"
    I, for one, would not ASK someone I love to begin making alterations to any part of them....body, mind, morals, lifestyle, religion (?).  Likewise I would not appreciate being asked to make sacrifices above and beyond perhaps common courtesies.
    It shouldn't be necessary nor should we accept that it is a defining ultimatum.  If this becomes the case, IMHO, this is the perfect time to cut one's losses and run in the opposite direction.
    Should you feel quite differently about this and can easily agree to sacrifice for the person you love.....go for it, no one can stop you.  I would just suggest that you prepare yourself for future "requests" to change this and that.....or worse, you may find yourself needing to accommodate DEMANDS. I would wish that person much luck,  Peace, Paula

That was totally amazing smile Thank you Mrs. Paula for your meaningful and enthusiastic feedback. I owe you a debt of gratitude for this. Thank you and Godbless us all. smile

2. fpherj48 profile image77
      fpherj48posted 13 months agoin reply to this

You are quite welcome. I'm pleased that you have whole-heartedly accepted my comment. It's very nice of you to say so.

6. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 13 months ago

You should agree on several things before marrying: faith, family, finances. Which one converts doesn't matter, only that you agree on how you'd live going forward.
    That said, you need to understand the cultural expectations of the other person's faith to see if it is something you could really live with. And remember that someone liberal today is likely to become more conservative in their faith later - and their family often encourage it when there are children. Could you live in a family living by the strict rules of that person's faith? If not, you are not a match unless the other person converts to your faith.

Happy Kneesposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Thank You Ms. Tamara Wilhite. That was great smile Have a nice day and Godbless

7. manatita44 profile image85
    manatita44posted 7 months ago

No, but you can delay it. Some christians change their faith for muslims and some muslims for christians because of human love. Other faiths are involved too.

This must not be mistaken with the quest or longing of the soul for its true state. The soul is separated or in isolation from the divine and will not be truly happy until it merges in mystical union with its Source.

Loosely speaking, we can say that life itself is a sojourn or a journey, with all its experiences, for that purpose. The soul is in alienation from God and is on a quest to find its way HOME.

working