jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

What do you believe that is more important for our happiness, to give or to take

1. Sean Dragon profile image82
    Sean Dragonposted 6 months ago

What do you believe that is more important for our happiness, to give or to take?

When do you feel real happiness? When you offer to others or when you take from others?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13674742_f260.jpg

2. Paul K Francis profile image82
    Paul K Francisposted 6 months ago

I do not think that it is even possible to get any true feelings of happiness by taking from others, or by deceiving others, or just by being unkind to others. Giving makes us happy, and when we are feeling real happiness, there is nothing to keep us from giving that away to others as well, which makes us happier, and so on. Have a great day.

Sean Dragonposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Thank you, Paul, for your beautiful answer. I agree with you.

3. m abdullah javed profile image79
    m abdullah javedposted 6 months ago

Happiness is due to feelings that you experience because of an act. The act may be for your benefit or for the benefit of others. It doesn't matter whether it's giving or taking, in both the cases if pure intention, a sense of selfless service and love persist... then every act, for you, for others from you or for you from others, will be a true source of happiness.

If you analyze the happiest people, you may find all these possibilities of being at happiest state.

Sean Dragonposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Act with love... You are so right my brother Muhammad. Thank you a lot for your answer.

4. profile image59
    Agathi Nakouposted 5 months ago

It's not necessarily the one or the other. Basically, I think that doing both is the most healthy way to live, as long as your intentions are always derived from heart. And I find that the word "take" has been given a very bad reputation, which leads to people being miserable for not being able to accept all those great things others can offer to them, or even feeling guilty when they claim what they need from others and life. So, to sum it up, yes it's an amazing thing to have a huge heart that always gives, but it is also very healthy and realistic to take what you need as long as you do it with respect, respect for yourself and others.

Sean Dragonposted 5 months agoin reply to this

You are so close to what I had in mind when I wrote this question. I admire your approach once again. I am happy to have this answer on my page. Thank you!

5. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 4 months ago

Giving is an outpouring of a selfless and soulful Heart to others; to humanity. Its crucial purpose is to widen or expand the psychic Heart. Without receptivity, it is very hard for the Heart to receive and selfless giving, service, gratitude and so forth, all widen the Heart.

Receptivity or receiving, if you like, is just as important. They go hand in hand. So we receive through our meditations, our prayers in the mornings and then we can use what we receive to serve the spiritually hungry world. Worship is really life in action without breaks. Note I did not say 'taking.' This can sometimes be a very selfish thing. Nice question.

Sean Dragonposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Thank you manatita44 for another thoughtful answer! You are honoring my page.

2. manatita44 profile image84
      manatita44posted 4 months agoin reply to this

Thank you, my Brother. We are both divine flames of the One.

6. shanmarie profile image79
    shanmarieposted 4 months ago

Maybe this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I find that when I am giving, I am also taking. Many times, the rewards that come from giving include happiness and if happiness is the motivation for a particular deed, it is also taking. Even so, it happens far more often that the greater happiness is in giving rather than taking.

Thank you Shanmarie for your honest answer. I hope you'll find happiness through giving.

7. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 4 months ago

We need to be actively doing both.

To give, allows the soul/spirit to show its generosity of heart and give the receiver an opportunity in life.
    To be able to receive is equally important. To receive, is to give the giver the experience of feeling generous and using their heart.
    It feel it shouldn't be one way or the other.
    If we only give, to me, it is a form of control-benevolent control. If we only receive, it may lean from a helping hand to taking advantge of somone's goodwill.
    So, let us give each other the experiences of giving and receiving.

"To receive, is to give the giver the experience of feeling generous and using their heart." I love that. I have written a story about that. Thank ThreeKeys for your answer.

8. Jagatheesh Er profile image55
    Jagatheesh Erposted 4 months ago

I feel that when we offer to others especially to those who needs our help it will bring satisfaction to me and when I receive something from others I will feel happy.Only a satisfied mind can realize the happiness so both  giving and taking are essential for happiness.

Thnk you, Jagatheesh. I hope many people to read your answer.

working