What is your religious belief or not?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I am curious

This is not to label anyone

Nor to start a 'who's right and who's wrong" discussion.

Just simply if you follow a religion,which one and if not, cool.

Personally, I was not raised with religion than converted to Judaism for marriage - left that in my divorce and just in the last year am studying Buddhism which I think is the right fit for me.

And you?

ps-thanks

1. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have a lot of ideas. smile

1. ASHWINSPGA profile image58
        ASHWINSPGAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You want to share them with us? smile

2. Freya Cesare profile image78
      Freya Cesareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Muslim by my own choice big_smile

2. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Christian smile

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

or not smile

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Christian big_smile

1. Ohma profile image59
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

or not

Christian, hehehehehehe big_smile

1. Freya Cesare profile image78

or not. :p

2. Freya Cesare profile image78

Just think your thread is funny and follow. big_smile sorry.

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Julianna, I was not replying to you, I was defining my own beliefs in the terms requested in the thread title LOL

Sorry it sounded confusing. smile

I was playing and I will be on your site tomorrow!!! I love it!! I really truly do. smile

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile

Always my friend ! smile

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

'Benign Neutrality'

5. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Religion of skepticism.

6. ASHWINSPGA profile image58
    ASHWINSPGAposted 14 years ago

My religion is LOVE.
    It doesnt have a race or language and you can practise it anywhere and everywhere smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and the only side effect is more love! Love it! lol

YEAH!!! lol

Should be real easy to get a religion like this up. We need a strong definition of love. I will start by saying "Love is a doing thing."

A doing thing?
            I say its a giving thing

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Both require action. Commonality. smile

well you show your love by doing something
                and you show your love my giving something
                mmm commanality-similarity of custom or habit.
                ok yeah Cagsil i agree with you. both are actions done out of love.

I learned a new word today smile

Like I said, a doing thing. smile Giving is doing. smile

7. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

'or not', but i like ashwin's answer.

Love everyone regardless of race language or religion without being hindered by any rules and regulations makes everything less complicating isn't it? Glad you like my religion Pandora B. Wanna sign up? smile

8. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 14 years ago

In the words of President Bill Clinton, “it depends how you define ‘is’.” I believe in God with out having to believe there is a God.  I can understand God as a symbol, a figure of speech, for many of the things I find in life that no one has yet been able to explain.  As such, it matters not if I can prove God does or does not exist but I can clearly see what God represents.

That seems to be a way of expending little and gaining a lot! I like the idea of a happy and caring "whatever it is" smile

2. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like that one - a good way of keeping an open mind.

I am Greek Orthodox, and very interested in mysticism - it is an undercurrent that seems to connect most religions.

smile

9. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 14 years ago

Christian with the caveat tht I do not wish to be tarred by the same brush as those who talk complete nonsense from the pulpit.

10. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 14 years ago

animist although baptized Orthodox Christian

You poor little hamster! Those Bas**ds tried to drown me too! lol

1. profile image0
        hamstersmessiahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehe.. i was an infant and peed in my godfather's eye!

Well done! Good little infant! lol

1. profile image0

lucky shot!

lol lol lol

1. profile image0

if i had had a clear shot at the priest...

Heavenly! lol

11. Niteriter profile image61
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

Earnest just told me on another thread that I am an Orthodox Australian. I believe the baptisms occur in beer. I'M A CONVERT! Praise Earnest!

12. peptalk profile image61
    peptalkposted 14 years ago

I believe in "something" beyond myself.  I have no idea if there is a heaven out there somewhere and it doesn't really matter in the way I live.  I don't think there is a hell, I think that we make our own hell here on Earth every day.

I believe that the bible has many wonderful things to teach us as long as we don't take everything so literally that we miss the point, but then so does almost every other book on philosophy, conduct, and humanity out there.  For that matter, there are thousands of books, poems and songs that make me want to be a better person.

I believe that we should do the very best we can in every endeavor we set our hand to and treat the way we expect to be treated, this belief has nothing to do with a God or a religion it just seems like the best way to live.

I believe that we must learn to take responsibility for our own actions and choices in this life.  That we must forgive people who hurt us and do our best to do as little harm as possible, because when we hold hate to close we are the only ones who really get hurt.

I believe that all things are connected and that animals know more about the "something" that is beyond me than I ever will.

If the Christ of the New Testament was the son of God or not makes no difference to me, he said some pretty powerful and insightful things that I believe are worth listening to.  If I had to follow the ideals, hopes for humanity, whatever of any living person it would probably be Dean Koontz.

So, as you can see, I have no idea "what" I am.  You tell me.

Maybe just another human being with an open mind? smile

2. profile image0

i have found much useful wisdom in the bible too but it is not my canon.  i have also profited greatly from the tao te ching, the upanishads, the teachings of zoroaster and many other religious texts.  but for me, the ability to lisdten to the voice of the divine in all things, even those seemingly inanimate is my guiding light in life and i find comfort in the voice of the silence.

1. peptalk profile image61
        peptalkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.... to both of you.  The only religious text I have never found truth in is the Book of Mormon, but then I am a woman.  I have nothing against Mormon's in general, I have known several good ones, but I found more wisdom in The Flight of the Bumblebee.

I am wide awake at 1:00 in the morning, so....

I want to tell you about the only angel I have ever met, and I use the term loosely here.  He was an dying, homeless alcoholic who loved Louis Armstrong.  Possibly the most beautiful human being I have ever met.

13. Niteriter profile image61

I "believe" in nothing; I ponder the possibility in everything.

14. Niteriter profile image61

Loving Louis Armstrong puts him in angel category right away.

1. peptalk profile image61

Damn close at any rate.  I still cry when I think about him.

15. Niteriter profile image61

Homeless alcoholics often possess a lot of wisdom. Many of them know lots about religion as well.

Being in poor circumstances is not a guide to a person's wisdom.
      I have met many poor and homeless with good to brilliant minds, university degrees, even a highly qualified surgeon. It pays to keep an open mind doesn't it? smile

1. Niteriter profile image61
        Niteriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I make comments like those just in case there is a God and I'll need him to keep an eye on me when the homeless alcoholic is my fine self.

Ya gotta have a bob each way doncha? lol lol

2. peptalk profile image61

I don't know if he knew much about religion, he certainly knew quite a bit about both the wretchedness and beauty lurking inside us humans though.

1. Niteriter profile image61
        Niteriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We get to know a lot about the true nature of an individual when he realizes there is nothing he can gain from the person in front of him.

16. Niteriter profile image61

Has New Thought been thrown out the window yet?

17. marinealways24 profile image57
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I religiously believe in keeping my belief as honest and individual as possible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)