Liberals, Atheists Are More Highly Evolved????

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

This one caught my eye the other day as a very interesting read. I thought I would share it here:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … n-evolved/

For a taste without going over for a read here is one paragraph with a good idea for what its all about smile

"As a result of their iconoclastic ancestry, he suggests, people with higher levels of intelligence are more likely to adopt social values and behaviors that are relatively new to human life—liberalism, atheism, staying up late, and (for men) monogamy, for example."

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oooooh, is that a tin opener I can hear?  Opening a very large can of very wriggly worms? lol lol

The trouble with research like this is that it often uses false assumptions and non-watertight definitions to make conclusions based on false premises.

For example, what definitions of "liberal" and "conservative" are being used here?  Presumably the American ones rather than the British ones.  And what about people who consider themselves for the most part "conservative" in the American usage of the word, but also happen to be atheists and not believers?

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Guilty as charged, my tin opener is humming loudly lol
        And here you go being all reasonable, questioning definitions and being logical tongue
        Imagine if everyone acted so reasonable.... a thread like this would just be a friendly and questioning debate to stimulate the mind.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wonder what his level of intelligence is, and who rated him?  lol

3. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friends

I don't agree with the study; it has obvious faults and needs to be improved.

Moses differed with Pharoah; yet Moses was a founder of new Religion. Jesus differed with the corrupted Jewish priest-hood; and Jesus believed in Religion more than the Jews. Muhammad differed with the infidels of Mecca and their concepts and he brought out a new and trutfhul Word from the Creator- God Allah YHWH. How would the study accommodate Moses, Jesus and Muhammad?

Thanks

I love Moses, Jesus and Muhammad as mentioned in Quran.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. profile image0
    LegendaryHeroposted 14 years ago

This study's a fail:

"As a result of their iconoclastic ancestry, he suggests, people with higher levels of intelligence are more likely to adopt social values and behaviors that are relatively new to human life—liberalism, atheism, staying up late, and (for men) monogamy, for example."

This man only had a sample of probably several dozen people. There are hundreds of millions of people in the United States. I know plenty of atheist conservatives and plenty of conservatives who stay up late, and you would think that monogamy would be mainly a conservative thing. And he used IQ tests, which are not the most accurate tests of intelligence, to determine the intelligence of these subjects for the study.

He also used teenagers for his study. Brains aren't fully developed until around the age of 25.

"The study used a picture-based vocabulary test to estimate the IQ of participating teenagers. Seven years later, the same people were asked about their religious and political beliefs."

"But the Add Health method for measuring IQ—via picture vocabulary questions—doesn't necessarily tell you anything about the right kind of intelligence, Ceci said. "They're a better measure of crystallized intelligence, which you acquire through school and culture. That kind of intelligence is not primarily genetic.""

3. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I've seen a couple studies that show this.
    Statistically, from what I've seen in different sources, there is a slightly higher average IQ among liberals and atheists.

Here is another recent article

And yes, everybody chime in, all together now: "cnn is not a credible news source"
    I disagree. But go ahead and find a study that contradicts it before you start claiming cnn is bogus big_smile big_smile

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/26/li … =allsearch

1. profile image0

CNN is bogus!
      LOL

I studied it intensely and extensively before I gained access to a more honest news source called FOX.

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gosh, news to me that FOX is reliable!!
        lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Quick translation:

Honest = same viewpoint as Brenda. wink

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
            Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wink
            Comprendo mucho.

2. profile image0

You betcha!
            And I knew I'd get clobbered for that.

(wink wink)
            wink wink

2. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can't be serious! yikes

1. profile image0

Sure I can.

I watched CNN for days and months on end for a while.
          I dunno if they've changed their tactics any since I quit watching them, but

I liked Dobbs and Rick Sanchez until I saw how egotistical they are.
          Wolf Blitzer was one of the best, actually.  He was more of a newsman than commentator usually.
          Anderson Cooper wasn't too bad.
          But they all ended up showing their bias.

John Cafferty was the second-worst!  He's just plain crabby and mean!

The worst was Don Lemon.  Really liked him at first, until he openly showed his racism and then allowed the gay agenda to ride on its coattails.

No wonder Glenn Beck went to a better program.

1. wyanjen profile image71
            wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blitzer has the most credibility of any newsman out there.

Cafferty is hilarious. He is cynical as hell. I would have thought you would like him smile

3. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought you'll post something like GodTV.

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must have missed the memo...I grew up with the understanding that CNN was a *very* reliable news source. In all seriousness, has something happened? Why am I hearing all of a sudden that it is not (especially when compared to FOX. FOX? I mean, with a name like that aren't they TELLING YOU they're sneaky?)

CNN is the least biased network. I never see them report something that turns out to be hype or bad reporting.
        I do miss Lou Dobbs lol
        I put that in my post because SO MANY people say the network is unreliable. Go figure.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64

I've noticed that people are saying it as well. I wonder what they're basing that on.

3. profile image51

Hi friend wyanjen

I have given my reasons above; what is wrong with them. Please give your reasons.

Thanks

I can't really comment. smile

I don't know what Moses' IQ actually was. Was Muhammad a liberal? I'm not even convinced that Jesus was celibate, let alone monogamous. tongue

1. profile image51

"I'm not even convinced that Jesus was celibate"

Hi friend wyanjen

I am convinced that Jesus was not celibate; he never commanded for celibacy. Jesus must have married; there are people in the world who say they are his off-spring.

Thanks

4. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I've encountered about as many atheist liberal bigots as I have religious conservative bigots.
    No rhyme or reason.

There are good, intelligent, rational people on both sides of this. Sounds to me like the guy who did the study had an agenda, and wanted to prove his point about his own superiority (perhaps).

If there are more studies that are credible that can prove the point of the article, then I'll be more willing to accept it. And I do accept that it is a possibility, but from my experience, which has nothing to do with scientific data, it's about sixes.

1. profile image51

"There are good, intelligent, rational people on both sides of this. Sounds to me like the guy who did the study had an agenda, and wanted to prove his point about his own superiority (perhaps)."

Hi friend Daniel Carter

I agree with you.

Thanks

5. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful discussion. Rational questions, reasonable tones of "voice." I love it. I also agree with those who say that this study has some major flaws. The sample needs to be much larger, and as mentioned before, should probably include grown ups, IQ is really unreliable...etc.

That having been said...Since I've been accused of being a liberal, I am perfectly content to believe that I am smarter than others who aren't. tongue wink (Yes, that IS my tongue in my cheek).

6. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

What about me?

I consider myself a Liberal, but I absolutely believe in the existence of God, which makes me what...mediocre? Half smart half dumb?

What about Conservative-Atheists?

hmm

Who says just being smarter or having a high I.Q. makes one more evolved... What about the evolution of musical talent, or the other arts... hmm hmm

It's interesting you brought that up. I am in the same boat as you, and was wondering about it myself.

I think this goes back to the idea that IQ alone is really a measurement of...nothing...or at least nothing we can define well, anyway. LOL Seriously, there's been a huge movement to identify multiple types of intelligence. So the answer to your question might be that you are of average intelligence in certain areas and above average in others.

Perfectly stated. smile

Thanks Jen smile I try! And sometimes the garbled mess in my head comes out on "paper" okay. wink

7. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

Who owns these stations anyway? Who decides what bias gets used? It's obviously not the people on the screen who read the prompts; the reporters may slant their reports in a certain way but who gives them orders to do so or to rewrite?

I've heard it stated (and the staters are foaming at the mouth rabidly!) that Jews own our media; that liberals run our media; that pretty much any 'group' one disagrees with runs American media and that they're all liars.

8. dfager profile image60
    dfagerposted 13 years ago

I was taught a theory of Moral and Ethical Development in College Psychology class that would agree with that theory.  It was not in the text books though.  It broadly classified stages of moral and ethical reasoning into 4 categories: choas, or following only hedonistic values, fundamentalism, scepticism then mysticism.

Therefore, religious people can fall into any of the categories but many fall into fundamentalism.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)