Noah's Ark discovered by scientists in Turkey

Jump to Last Post 51-65 of 65 discussions (215 posts)
  1. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Since we are talking about evidence of Biblical truths...

while attending a bachelor party in Vegas a few years back, I experienced real-life occurrences reminiscent of Sodom and Gomorrah

2. 4x4 profile image62
    4x4posted 13 years ago

I'm with those who are saying "again?"

But anyway, as in everything even IF we do manage to find the real ark, there will still be a LOT of people who will not believe.

And I want to add one more bone to this, are we even sure that Mt. Ararat is the mountain that was referred to in the Old Testament? Do we know if it's name is in proper use at the time of the writing of the Jewish Scriptures?

And then this. What if in time, we do manage to find or identify the correct mountains of Ararat as mentioned in the Bible and DO FIND it there because we were all looking at all the wrong places for so long. Will all people at that time start to believe? I still highly doubt that.

Who knows, this might even be like the Boy who Cried Wolf.

3. outdoorsguy profile image60
    outdoorsguyposted 13 years ago

its a fraud.  witnesses have already stated that the group spent a year shipping timbers to the site to build the structures they claim to have found.

and yes Archeologists do study droppings at sites.   

no there is no evidence of a global flood.  not so far at any rate.  no matter what biblical literalists like to claim. 

there is a long history of Ark fraud in this area.

and last but not least.. the Oldest written flood myth is not from the bible but Akkadian around the 18th century BCE.

of course this doesnt matter to Literalists.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Believers have a long history of faking evidence to support their beliefs.  This is often done by those very high up in the order of religious cults. 

Josephus, a roman historian who wrote about many aspects of life in Jesus' time didn't mention him at all.  Several hundred years later church clergy thought there ought to be something about Jesus in the many writings about all facets of life Josephus chronicled.  So they added it in themselves.

It  was inserted and began : "There was a man called Jesus....."

Some of the clergy were told and believed they could lie or threaten to gain converts to their faith.  Anything to get new adherents to their church was acceptable.  So, nothing but more of the same with this "ark" charade.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually  Josephus began his career as a writer of ancient  history when Emperor Vespasian assigned him the task of writing of the generals exploits while still the commander of the Roman Legions that was sent to Jerusalem to put down a Jewish revolt. But was called back to Rome to become Emperor.

Josephus wrote a lot of books and he did most certainly mention there being a leader of a NEW religious cult being crucified. And that religion cult took off like a scalded dog;  or something like that. 

Any way now that you mention Josephus, ya need to read the conditions that were prevalent in the Judean area from 35 AD (when Josephus was born) until 70 AD when Prince Titus arrived at Jerusalem and soon demolished the city and totally destroyed the temple. Also Titus later became the tenth Emperor of the Roman Empire.; This was the same year Vesuvius erupted burying three major cities. 

I see prophesy being fulfilled here???

The inclusions of Jesus in the writings of Josephus came about in the 17th century.  Previous volumes mentioned Jesus not at all.  These fraudulent passages were inserted at a later time. 

Josephus was a Pharisaic Jew and therefore did not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.  The consensus by biblical scholars seems to be that Josephus did not write these passages.

This could be true.  Seems like we really caint trust what we read any longer. What is this world coming to??

It has been this way for thousands of years, Jerami.  It's just easier to debunk fraud than it used to be.  There are no proven records of Jesus ever having existed.  Not saying he didn't, just no actual records remain proving he did.

Some of the fake reports of records purporting to describe Jesus make for interesting reading though.  Ever heard of the Archko Volumes?  A quite sloppy but popular fraud perpetrated in the latter part of the 19th century.

2. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"In the second, brief mention, Josephus calls James "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ."[49] The great majority of scholars consider this shorter reference to Jesus to be substantially authentic,[50] although a minority has raised doubts.[51]"

Jesus is also mentioned in several Gnostic texts, and in the writings of Clement of Rome, Papias, and Seutonius.

Been a long time sinse I've done a lot of reading. 
                 Years back I read a lot of Josephus.
                 Here lately; reading a couple of Chapters of anything puts me to sleep. 
                 I mostly rely upon memory and that is failing.
                 After memory fails all that I will have left is opinion and attitude.

I'm just joking;    maybe.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

The Gnostic texts were written long after Jesus was supposed to have walked the earth, roughly 600 years.  Nothing pertinent there. 

The reference cited about James is still in doubt as earlier citations of the work of Josephus did not mention Jesus at all. 

Where you read about the work of Josephus makes a difference also.  Many religious sites include the fraudulent passages. 

What Clement knew about Jesus was told to him.  Hearsay at best.

Papias lived in the second century.  Nuff said!

Seutonius was born in 69 A.D. More hearsay!

1. habee profile image92

Ummmm, no. Papius was born in the year 60. And Tacitus was born in 56. He supposedly interviewed people who had known Jesus and witnessed His crucifiction, referring to Him as "Christus" or "Chrestus."

Ummmm, yes! Still just hearsay.  None you mentioned ever met Jesus personally.  The "Christian followers were attempting to gain support of their cult (just like today) and naturally many claimed to have known of Jesus. 

Again, not saying they were not telling the truth, but nothing concrete as far as actual proof.  "Supposedly" being a key word.

No reports by scientists of the day of an earthquake or the sky darkening during the crucifixion.  Many kept details of planetary movement and other stellar phenomenon, so this would have been something they would have not failed to chronicle if true.

Pliny the Elder along with Josephus would have certainly reported this episode if it were real.  Interested in almost everything scientific, Pliny the Elder died while trying to witness the effects of the eruption of Vesuvius on Pompeii in 79 A.D.

4. mikelong profile image59
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

If I remember correctly, the Jewish Noah story existed only after the Babylonian Captivity period. The Epic of Gilgamesh relates this person who survives a flood, and this account comprises the most ancient of all written stories. There were no Hebrew or Jewish peoples contemporary to the Sumerians.

Abraham himaself is from Ur, whis is an ancient Sumerian city, existing far before the Chaldeam period. It is also likely that there is a connection to the transferring of this story through this source.

To point to the Quran for verification is an inherently flawed endeavor. Muhammad and the culture of Mecca and Yathrib were connected in numerous ways to Jewish and Christian ideas prior to the creation of this holy book. Being that Muslim ideology is based in the foundation of Abraham, there is no way that there could be any possible contradiction with the early old testament concepts.

Does the Babylonian (the oldest of all flood stories ever written) text talk about a mountain called Ararat?

No.

Is there any connection to the Biblical diety God/Yahweh/Jehova/Allah?

No.

Is there the monolithic concept of monotheism?

No.

The story, the oldest of all known, is much different from the Biblical version.....and while there are flood myths in many cultures around the world I point out that most human cultures lived near regions prone to flooding, like in Mesopotamia and Egypt (and elsewhere of course). Also, these stories are not all the same. They are quite varied, and do not display any commonality in terms of monotheism vs. other forms of religious perception, do not emulate the Biblical narrative or even align in overall purpose.

As an Armenian, I understand fully the almost unanimous belief among my fellow descendents of Hayk that they are descended from the line of Japheth. But, they fail to remember that before the Christian religion came to their identity that they were firm Zoroastrians.

For most Armenians their religion is their identity, and can be compared to patriotism or nationalism as opposed to something that is based on actual facts.

I have no problem with the fact that there is no mystical Biblical boat atop Ararat, and I continue to stand amazed at how self-interested persons continue to play with people.

Can we move on please?

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm not an historical scholar, but it seems that some of what appears in the writings of Josephus about Jesus is accepted as authentic by most scholars. The other parts are believed to have been added later by someone else.

6. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

It seems that regardless of the subject matter there are always opposite opinions and we have to choose what to believe

1. habee profile image92

Totally correct!

RD, note my use of the word "supposedly." I believe Tacitus referred to Christus or Chrestus as the leader of a new religion. That doesn't sound like something a slave would have been capable of doing. Our arguing about this is pointless, really.

As for letters written that would prove the existence of Jesus, like the one from Herod's son, some "experts" say they're legitimate, and some say they're not. We will probably never know for sure. And even if it were proven that a man named Jesus of Nazareth did exist, it wouldn't prove that He was the son of God. It wouldn't change my beliefs either way, nor would it change your lack of belief. So what's the point?

I think we might go to the GA Renaissance Fair in the next couple of weeks. You and Beth wanna go?

I'm not as knowledgeable on these things as you seem to be.
        I meant to look it up a few minutes ago, didn't, But I think that Josephus was born in 35 AD, and was something like a governor of one of those cities around Jerusalem.

He would have been well aware of who Jesus was.

As far as the invite...Thanks ...  Is Beth pretty, I'll see if my wife will let me go, but I doubt it.  She will say that it is too far.

==========================

habee said …   nor would it change your lack of belief.

=================================
        Jerami said...  I Think ya got me confused with someone else.
        I believe that Jesus was the Messiah as described in the OT. and he fulfilled all that he is said to do.
           I just question the organized religious condition.
           I believe in there being a God, and Abraham meat him.
        I just do not trust the written word of the NT to be totally infallible.

RD is me, Jerami!  And yes, Beth is very pretty.  LOL!

Sorry about that, I missed the initials.
            Figured somebody didn't understand something right.

Guess it was me. I tried to be funny.
            probably about bed time. Eyes getting tired and my mind is getting weak.

I'll hang on for a few more minutes

2. habee profile image92

OMG! You said your wife is pretty! I can't wait to tell her! Maybe you're not all bad. lol!

7. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

The name Chrestus used by Suetonius which some believe referred to Jesus was a common Greek name used often for slaves.  Suetonius was a very thorough researcher having done biographies of Julius Caesar, among other notables of the day. 

It is doubtful he would get the spelling wrong if referring to Christ.  Christos would have been the correct spelling if referring to Jesus Christ.

8. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

When examined under ultra violet light, the oldest manuscript of Tacitus (with the same passage you refer to) revealed it had been tampered with.  The upper and lower portion of the "e" in the word "Chrestianos" had been erased and changed to an "i" to change the meaning of the word.

Also, some of the passages are not accurate in their description of places people and things.  The tampering (a common church fraud at the time) has tainted the historical accuracy of his works.

You know Beth wouldn't let me have any of the wenches at the GARF.  So whats the use!

9. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Woe I just noticed what time it is.  Way past my bed time.
    Good nite yaul

10. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Hello Habee Randy & Jeremi! smile

The ark.
    A replica.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z118/leesw/noahs_ark_replica.jpg

What were they smokin? lol lol

I wonder if Noah used screws or lag bolts in the construction of the ark?

I think that Earnest already answered that question.
          HE thinks that Noah put it together with model airplane glue.

I disagree!

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Randy, how do ya think that would work on Lake Blackshear? I think it would make a great party boat!

I can picture you water skiing behind it while I was down below dressing out a unicorn for the grill!

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmmm... Unicorn ribs! Yummy! smile

The gopherwood coals really gives them a heavenly flavor too!

2. earnestshub profile image80

The water skiing would be a bit difficult though Randy. That hull would need about a thousand horsepower to see 5 knots!
        Talk about hard chine! lol lol

Noah had all the dinosaurpower he needed to get around!

12. earnestshub profile image80

Oh yeh! Plenty of dinosaurs would help. Good power to weight ratio from rex and a few of the other dinosaurs.
    A bit big to carry around on a boat though! smile

I thought the same, but the fundie religious theme park in Tennessee has a mock up of the ark with dinosaurs on board. 

I kid you not!!

13. earnestshub profile image80

You bein straight with me Randy??

How many different species of Dinosaur did they manage to believe in? lol lol

Putting dinosaurs on the ark isn't really that odd  in religious museums and theme parks in some parts of America.  Especially in the south and west.  Perhaps this should be on that "Ignorance" thread instead of here.

Anyhow, check out this one in Arkansas! 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/ … ion.usnews

OK I saw the article. Now I understand.
        Not exactly scientific is it? lol lol

Only to creationists and fundies!  There are others too!  Can you imagine children being taught this stuff in schools?  Many would love for this very thing to be included alongside of the theory of evolution. 

We have some ignorant folks here, Earnest!  They really believe this horses**t!

That has got to be ignorance by choice, or indoctrination.
            Does the capacity for logical thought just float off when people get religion? lol

Ministers hold sway over many people in my area.  They tell them not only what to think, but how to think.  How to vote, what to vote for and against, all by the sermons they preach from the pulpit.

You wouldn't believe some of the editorials in the local "fish wrappers" some call newspapers.  There is a church of some sort on almost every corner in the smaller towns in this area.  You can't throw a cat without hitting a Jehovah's Witness or knocking a Mormon off his bicycle.

A sad state of human regression if I ever saw it.  They can pray the enamel off a bed pan too!

1. Cagsil profile image70
                Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

2. earnestshub profile image80

Geez Randy! I got a mental picture of the cat lady from the Simpsons in there throwing cats, knocking down those Mormons!
                I hope the Simpsons see your post! lol lol lol
                Oh, and they need to keep the line about the bedpans as well! smile

It is funny in a tragic sort of way!  Unless you live amongst these pious sinners, of course!  See ya later, gotta get a few Z's so I'm gonna make like a shepherd and get the flock outta here!

OK Randy, thanks for the chat, you have a good sleep then. smile

14. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

It's choice, because they are selfish. They rather guarantee themselves salvation and belief, than accept the fact that it's just US(human beings), as of right now, and should be working together to solve problem.

They rather put themselves in a place of righteousness, do as I say, not as I do, pathetic concept. No wonder society is wasting away.

15. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

RD, I was wondering...if you rendered the unicorn fat, would the results taste like pony cracklings?

Nothing can compare with pony cracklings!  But they would be similar to spotted owl if prepared correctly!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)