jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

A new easy question for my friends on hubpages

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image70
    schoolgirlforrealposted 7 years ago

[Mindful you may have thought of this before!]

If you had the opportunity here on hubpages
    to have RELIGION & BELIEFS taken out of you ALL or MAIN FEED here in the forums, would you? And it would be accessible in the category section, like it currently is, and why?

My thought would be that many feel compelled - of all beliefs
    to respond to these threads
    And they may not want to see them "IN THEIR FACE" all the time.

So, what would you choose?
    A) Yes, do it
    B) Keep it the way it is

[Knowing full well this prob would never happen....]

I remain neutral at this time

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
      stilljustwonderinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Leave it as it is.  The people who don't want to  see them "in their face" doesn't have to click on them.  If they don't click on them, they wouldn't be "in their face".

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image70
        schoolgirlforrealposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ok. thanks for your opinion

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.  But then I feel that way about a good number of forum categories.

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

When over half the topics on the front page are religion, that is indeed IN YOUR FACE!

Folks really do get sick of it after awhile.

1. profile image60
      exorterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

do not click

3. Cagsil profile image62
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Leave it as is.

Those who use those particular forums, do so for a reason.

Those who don't bother with those forums, don't care enough to get involved.

4. Shadesbreath profile image85
    Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago

I like it where it is.  It serves as a guage to keep people aware of how many actively superstitious people are out there aggressively promoting, recruiting and self-justifying.  I think if that sort of thing gets buried away, it becomes too easy for those comfortably living a "secular life" in a "secular world" to relax and think the dangers of aggressive religion have passed into history.  It's sort of like asking, "If there is a rattlesnake in your house, would you rather see it crawling along the carpet or not know it was there?"

Which is not to say all religious people are dangerous.  There are many who practice their beliefs privately and don't scamper about stuffing them up in everyone's face to see.  The folks who just do nice things for people and believe they do so because of a god/gods are great.  It's the "I know the TRUTH and must spread this to others" crowd that are dangerous.

5. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

THE ANSWER! THE ANSWER! THE ANSWER!smile

The technology for users to block categories/threads from their personalized forum front page has existed for over ten years. It is time that HP gives us that capability.

This simple solution will eliminate a lot of aggravation.

Everyone who cares: TELL HP! TELL HP! TELL HP! TELL HP!smile

A sufficient number of requests just might do it.

Such a simple solution for such a messy problem…

Have a good day all.

1. sofs profile image85
      sofsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Leave it as it is, let those who can't take it, avoid it, all of us do avoid some threads don't  we ?

2. stilljustwonderin profile image61
      stilljustwonderinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I can agree with that.  I am sure there is something we would all block from our own page if we could.  As long as we didn't effect some one else's front page.
      THUMBS UP!  Great idea paradigmsearch!

6. aguasilver profile image86
    aguasilverposted 7 years ago

Cue James Bond theme... Armed and Dangerous and licensed to convict! smile

7. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 7 years ago

That simple means there is more religious talk than any other topic. Perhaps a solution is more talk of other things to balance it or even remove the 'in the face' situation.

Also, people can stop following the topic, else remove the widget box/customize the widget, on their front page, to suit their liking.

To expel the entire category doesn't make sense with nearly 40,000 articles published under the subject and some 2,000 forum discussions...

8. aguasilver profile image86
    aguasilverposted 7 years ago

I've only been hubbing 10 months, but I've seen a great increase in 'religious' hubs and forum posts during that time.

Now either the 'popularity' is there for these subjects or it is not, but it does seem that the Hub is attracting more religious writers, which is probably not the idea, for I'd warrant (from my stats) that Christ produces less clicks for HubPages than Rolex watches or coffee machines.

Ban them? - I think not, I oppose all censorship.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A lot has to do w/ 2012. Remember, 3 billion practitioners of 3 main religions, not to mention adherents to other beliefs. There may be several hundred religions. God, spirituality,black magic/Satanic, Santeria, Voodoo, Hinduism, Buddhism, Scientology. Religions that you may never have even heard of. Don't underestimate religion and aspects of it. It can be a HUGE draw. If the hub was worried, they would eliminate that subject. What worries you?

working