Druidry recognised as religion in Britain

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

Britain is recognizing the Druid religion as an official religion now and not a cult.
    looks like USA may be next. People should believe in what they want.
    Right?

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes Stacie, they should, it is their choice alone, not any goverments to decide

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure they can believe in whatever they want.
      They just shouldn't call it something it's not.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll

2. profile image0
        arrowsparrowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, I gather what you meant by "They just shouldn't call it something it's not" is that you don't think people who choose to follow Druidry should be calling it a religion, but you also said they could "believe in whatever they want", so then shouldn't also have the freedom to follow Druidry as a religion?

3. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't it considered a religion in Briton thousands of years ago?

1. profile image0
        Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh yeah, but it was kind of strange and hippie like and didn't consider the whole slave economy issue.

4. hanging out profile image61
      hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

2 Thessalonians 2:3   Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

The God of the bible has it covered ;0)
      no worries

falling away means: people shall turn from the God of the bible and believe in other false gods.

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a member of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, I was pleased to hear this news. 

Druidry is an extremely flexible philosophy, to the extent that there's a long-standing joke which says if you ask ten Druids to define Druidry you'll get eleven different definitions.  One effect of this is that while some Druids may be happy to describe Druidry as their religion, others are not.  Druidry can be expressed through almost any religious framework - or  equally no religious framework at all.

For anyone interested in Druidry, the OBOD website offers a wealth of free information.

1. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you a Druid yourself? If, yes; tell us something more about it, please.

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
          AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's simple enough, surely.

6. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How can one of the oldest religions in the world be considered a cult? That's just so ignorant and bigoted, especially since the Christians stole most of their holidays.

2. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I belong to two Druid orders as a Quest Knight of the Loyal Arthurian Warband and a member of the Berengaria Order of Druids. I was pleased to see the news.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm interested in this religion and I'm reading more about it.

2. profile image52

Being a Druid yourself; what you think about Druidism or whatever name you may like to give this Celtic religion? Do they have a Word of Revelation? If yes; please give the name of the person.

Any other detail you would like to provide.

Thanks

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From the little I know about the 'original' Druids - I doubt they will have any ancient book as they refused to write things down - everything was committed to memory.  It did at least mean that they knew 'what' they were talking about rather than today's religionists who have a book but can't read.

1. profile image52

I want to make it clear that the word "Book" for anything containing systems and recorded/committed in the memory; it could be recorded with any system; if it is in the memory then it should be passed down continuously and from generation to generation; if it is also written then it becomes light added with light.

Quran as the word denotes is the book in all the above aspects.

Again - as I understand it - they took the position that when it stopped being passed down from generation to generation it was no longer needed. A very sensible position that prevents disproved ideas, outdated moral postions and straight forward errors from contaminating the new society.  Now if all the various books were consigned to a distant memory maybe the current new society could get on with progressing to a better future.

1. profile image52

You mean:

1.    Originally the Druids had a Word of Revelation with them.

2.    When they could not preserve it then they took the stance that they did not need it.

Is that what you want to say, if I have understood you correctly?

You are so immersed in your book that you cannot see past the point where it was written.  For thousands of years Druids are thought to have been all through what is now Europe, they were a really useful religion if religion they were.  The little that is known is that they were the teachers, kingmakers, philosophers and travellers for pretty  much everywhere.  When their time was over they ceased to exist in the natural order of things - this is why we know nothing about them.  If your book and all the others was consigned to a forgotten history then the hate and bigotry and division that comes with the out of date bronze age tripe might get forgotten with them.

1. profile image52

In religious/faith matters I want to have information from the one who belongs to it.

You have provided good information though

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

2. hanging out profile image61
          hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and yet the jewish people wrote theirs down but that's less reliable than the druids commitment to memory. lol lol
          just when you think you have heard it all

3. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting bard, glad to hear it.

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

The only dIfference is the number of people.

Large number: sacred belief system
    Small number: cult
    One person: whacko

It's all the same other than the numbers.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix, are you calling me a Whacko?! hmm

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure.  Or you have a sacred belief system.  If one religion is "whacko", then they all are. If the big ones are not, then either are the little ones.

In other words, no more or less whacko than anyone else.

2. profile image52

I agree with your above words

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Will they be accepting Jedi too?

5. iantoPF profile image77
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

I am very intersted in this news myself. I do not claim to be a Druid in the original sense because they were a class apart and acted as judges and lawgivers to the Celtic nations. However my personal path lies in attempting to follow the sprituality of the Druids.
    I would like to read the report of the charities commission and I hope to discuss the issue with others of a like mind as myself before I have a firm opinion on whether this is good or bad for Druidry and the Pagan movement in general.
    Ancient traditions were oral and most of what we know in written form about the ancient Druids comes to us from Roman Historians who were somewhat biased against the people they were trying to conquer. Still, there is some information there and there are other sources such as Ogham writing and the Myths and legends.
    One last point; I follow a path that fills a need in me, I am not out to convert or change anyone's mind. The road I travel is for me, yours is for you.

1. profile image52

But you have given your opinion on a road open to the public.

Please read my posts on this thread; you may provide relevant information if you like

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

6. iantoPF profile image77

@Stacie L; Thank you for bringing this piece of historic news to the forum for discussion.
    @Bard of Ely; My first instinct was to be pleased as you are, after reflection I am cautiously pleased until I get more information.
    @paarsurrey; I have no idea what you're talking about.

1. profile image52

Being a Druid yourself or being spiritually a druid; what you think about Druidism or whatever name you may like to give this Celtic religion? Do they have a Word of Revelation? If yes; please give the name of the person.

Any other detail you would like to provide.

1. iantoPF profile image77
        iantoPFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This website is called
        http://x.hubpages.com/x/hubpages_120-60.gif
        If you want to know about the path I take, read my Hubs.
        If you want me to know about the path you take, write a Hub.

7. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Any other Druid who may prefer to write here may like to answer my query

8. iantoPF profile image77

The ancient peoples of north-west europe didn't have a religion as we would understand it today. They had "Folk ways" because people would understand nature in different ways according to their environment and would use different names according to language and dialect.
    The differences were not as important as we see them today because the Druids were a unifying force politically and spiritually.
    The main benefit of having Druidry declared a religion in these times has to do with things like; Tax free status to Druid organizations, providing legally recognized funeral services for the departed with suitable tombstones and other forms of memorial for those who die in service to their country. The counter arguments have mainly to do with a continuing debate in the community regarding authentic versus valid Druidry.

1. profile image52

I am happy to learn this news; congratulation for the benefits that will accrue to the Druidian Religion or community. I know they have suffered a lot in the past.

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I come from a long line of Cuban Druids. Does that count?!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3902483_f248.jpg

1. profile image52

Enjoy your life; there is no compulsion in matters of faith/religion.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

uh... it was a joke! Druids in Cuba?! lol

1. iantoPF profile image77
          iantoPFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pay no attention klarawieck, the bot has no sense of humour.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)