Why are you a good person? (assuming you actually are a good person)

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (35 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

What is it that makes you a good person? Is it that God told you to and you fear the fires of hell? Is it something you even understand about yourself?

My reason for trying daily to be a good person, the best I can be, is that I want to live in a better world. If I am ever to realize this desire come true then I have to actively make this a better world by contributing the good that can be found in this here world of ours.

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

when one understands himself and realizes that he is life he would then do the things that belongs to it.

others will merely go accoring to the wind... not knowing from where it comes neither to where it goes....

kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is pretty vague, have you considered a career in politics?
        No word on whether or not you believe yourself to be a good person let alone reasons explaining why you choose to be whatever it is you believe yourself to be. hmm

1. kess profile image60

yes indeed it will always be vague to whom it is vague...

So, somewhat meaningless then hmm

You could make a killing in politics wink

1. kess profile image60

thank you mentor...

2. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not good nor am I bad. I am good and I am bad. I don't try to be anything except authentic to what is naturally arising. When I am out of tune then the other descriptions of me come into play.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I am a Good Person because I tell off so called Greenies who only pretend to be Greenies.. by telling them NOT To Use Plastic Bags to pick up their Dog Crap with sad
    Real Greenies NEVER Use Plastic for such a job!! smile

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do they bring their own shovel, use a dead branch or their hands?  I've just written a hub about crap - hopefully it's not crap

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh - I can assure you it is crap, just try picking it up with your fingers !!!   or were you referring to your hub big_smile

1. profile image0

my hub has a warning - make sure you look before you sit & sh!t - might be snakes in the toilet.  Also, money really does get flushed down the toilet

3. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Simply because I don't sleep well being nasty to people.  Pricks my conscience.

Good answer, simple and very easy to understand smile
      I feel I can relate to your reasons, I always regret those times when I react with anger to situations, I know I am better then that and it feels downright crummy to fall that short of my real potential.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh Thanks Mate! smile

But Hey... Don't react with anger... or they will just let their dogs crap anywhere and walk away in case you growl at them! big_smile

People are like that.. they'd rather look or walk away than pick their dog's crap! sad

Nothing worse than having a picnic and Ohhhh Nooo Look at what you are sitting beside! yikes  A Greenie Plastic Bag yikes big_smile

4. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Nobody can say if they are a good person - it is a subjective judgement and can only be made by others about us.  I would say.

But then I am a really really good person some days, but then on those other dark, interesting, exotic days it is hard to tell.

I agree so far as to say that a person can only really say that they try to be a good person, that they believe themselves to be good people, but to state it as a solid fact, I agree one cannot do that. Then again I don't thing that popular opinion of someone as being good necessarily makes them a good person either. Popular opinion tends to be as changeable as the wind hmm

For me I believe a person can be a good person in spite of those bad days. Everyone can fall short of their potential for goodness for a number of reasons. I guess it partly comes down to what you do when you realize you you could have done better, or caused harm? Do you try to apologize, to 'fix' what you did that could have been harmful? If so then I would still call you a good person smile

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

PD, I think you can call yourself a good person simply because you consistently make me laugh! Laughter of course being the best medicine big_smile

Now if I can figure out how to pick up dog poo with laughter I will be set! lol tongue

I am told that it is all about technique and how you hold your mouth mate! big_smile

ROFL!!! lol
        Can we have a visual demonstration? Please big_smile
        lol wink

Not from me mate.... I don't lick butts or sheep! big_smile

1. profile image0

Oh come on - where else dig shagpile woollen carpets come from !!

2. kirstenblog profile image79

sad
            I thought you were from New Zealand? tongue yikes

1. profile image0

hardly any sheep in NZ anymore - they've moved onto cows

I wondered if I went to far with that joke, I have a weakness for bad jokes! yikes lol

1. profile image0

will have to come up with cow jokes instead, as most farms are now dairy

6. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Subjective judgement by others is not the same as popular opinion.  You are confusing dress sense with fashion.

When I am bad - is nothing to do with what I do afterward, this is an idea from religion that should be discarded like a crappy doggie bag, plastic or otherwise.  At the moment of being bad I am being what I am and it is only by understanding my bad and then not repeating that behaviour that then makes me good.  Your idea conjures priests abusing some child then through abject remorse receiving absolutionwhichis good until next sunday morning when he does it again, and again, and again.

I think I get where you are coming from. I would be interested to compare your answer with others answers. Perhaps folks will have a nice discussion here about the nature of forgiveness and redemption in relation to the effort of being a good person, or improving oneself smile

7. cpvr profile image60
    cpvrposted 13 years ago

I'm a good person because I try to help others - I also believe in the lord, Jesus, as my savior, so I know what's good, and what's not.

1. profile image0

Yeah right.

2. kirstenblog profile image79

Trying to help others sounds good smile
      I do wonder if, had you been born into an atheist community or other religious community, without the stories of Jesus do you honestly think you would have no ability to know what is good and what isn't? Or do you have some ingrained quality that would drive you to want to be good, say a sense of empathy? People who find it distressing to see others in distress are most likely to do something to relieve the distress of others. smile

8. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

(Or Countries!! Or COWS!! yikes )

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.............. NUKE!!! sad

9. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

LOL...Pearldiver

Having a conscience creates good actions and morals. If you dont have a conscience, how would you ever feel that whatever you do or say is good or not.

10. Rajab Nsubuga profile image60
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years ago

Out of consciousness, does being 'passive' make you 'good?'

Not In a Boxing Match Mate! smile

1. Bronson_Hub profile image59
        Bronson_Hubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suspect that opening the doors for others to judge our self-worth and to make estimations on our inner workings probably doesn't promote healthy dialogue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)