Is Time Linear

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (194 posts)
  1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

At the risk of being eaten alive by the atheists, I'm curious what others think.

Someone asked a question about free will here in the forums the other day, and it sent my mind on a tangent. I've always thought time was something that ran full circle. As if our reality was simply riding a ripple caused in the void of nothing. Call it, a rock dropped on the still waters.

Sounds crazy, I'm sure; but I had always assumed if there was a god it existed somehow outside, able to see the whole circle of the ripple; which would allow it to see history, from the moment the ripple formed until it ran its course. Which would explain prophesy, and what not.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but what do you think time is? Do you think it's linear? If not, how do you see it?

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For me time is forward motion, moving forward only second by second.

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Time is the result of a divided mind...therefore it sees beginnings and ends...but since the two are one we can say time goes around in a circle .

Just a day turn into night and night turns into day,
      the end of this ages occurs when what was in the beginning returns at the end...

So eventually just as this earth came out of the water it would return it, signalling the end of this age.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like that. It goes along with my idea of how realty ends. Sort of.

3. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Time doesn't exist. It is simply, a structure created by man to organize his day (one complete cycle of the earth turning on axis). Today was yesterday's tomorrow and will be tomorrow's yesterday. What we view as time(the clock), is actually just a division of the earth's movement. Earth years and Neptune years are different. Both are "years" as in one complete cycle of orbit around the Sun.

1. profile image0

Ok. I get your point. Call it our collective experience of what we perceive as time. Or better yet, what I perceive as time. smile

Do you think it's linear?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78

I would have to say that as long as there is movement, then yes it would be linear, as in only moving one direction. If it originated from one point and expanded in all directions, then I would lean more towards it being radial/spherical.

PS. Good question...smile

1. profile image0

And that's a cool answer. That brings up some interesting possibilities.

2. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you DoubleScorpion, time is man made.

4. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Time could be considered a moment of significance. Time only exists if it is significant to something.

5. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Linear, as in algorithms? What do you mean by linear?

If we see that our universe is expanding and that all the objects are being carried along with the expansion as well as within their local groups, we can observe that everything is in motion relative to each other. The objects themselves exhibit characteristics of requiring at least three dimensions to exist. But, if not for the fourth dimension of time, we wouldn't be able to map and measure their coordinates relative to each other.

So, not only do we see clocks as a man-made tool for measuring time, we also see time as a property of space, both within the expansion and local areas. And, since it's a property of space, objects moving through it will affect and be affected by time just as they are being affected by space.

From this comes the concept of time dilation and length contraction of co-moving objects in relativity. smile

1. profile image0

Hmm. Obviously, my question was poorly phrased. Thanks for your thoughts. That actually did help, though. I think.

1. Beelzedad profile image58

Then, why not phrase your question correctly? smile

1. profile image0

I probably will, if I run across anyone else who might be able to discuss it. I'm scared to do it with you. You'll just pick it apart and not answer it anyway.
            But, like I said. You were very helpful even though your post was running a different train of thought. smile

Nice. There's no need to fabricate stories. I did answer your question.

The train of thought was you asking about time and me answering the question.

If you had a different train of thought, then you obviously were looking for something different and not an answer to your question.

And then, you'll need to explain exactly what train of thought you were referring so as not to waste everyone's time with what they might guess as to your train of thought.

smile

1. profile image0

Ok. I'll try. But Double Scorpion threw me for a loop with his answer.

I figure time is expanding, and I was visualizing something different, but I thought maybe we look at time in a linear way because we can't see far enough to perceive the arc. Science makes leaps and bounds, but with every advancement we make time expands that much further, staying just out of reach of our ability to get the answers. Time dilation does factor into that,  because we obviously have figured that much out.

Anyway, the ripple example goes along with something I read, something James said and Kess touched on earlier. I think maybe reality will cease, as we perceive it once the ripple of time or reality we're on runs its course. Everything will just settle back into the form it was before the big bang or the big hand, or whatever started the process. It will just be still waters like it started out as, so to speak.

Call me crazy.

Edit: son of a gun. I didn't rephrase the question. Did I? Sorry. But that was my train of thought. Reality is expanding just ahead of our ability to catch up to find the most intriguing answers. And part of me wonders if somehow it was set up that way. Which is the part I assume you'll shred me apart on.

Oh, and the problem with your answer was you were saying what we know. Not scratching your head on what we don't. Which is ok. That's your style. smile

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78

Here is something cool you might like. It doesn't really follow your question, but I thought you might like it.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/age/index.html

1. profile image0

That was cute. I think I'm immigrating to Saturn when the next ship flies out. smile

6. superwags profile image65
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Morning JC,

It depends on whether you're talking about our perception of time or the physics of time. We percieve to see things in circular patterns (we are after all pattern-seeking oganisms).

In physics time cannot go backwards. it can speed up and slow down though. Time moves faster for people living in the international space station, than it does for us two - this is true according to relativity!

1. profile image0

I know. I know. You scientific types are all so cute. smile

I'm simply talking about our perception of time in the confines of our reality. How we see it individually, and as the progression of our history. Where it began to where it will end. How it all ties in.

It is simply that patterns tend to repeat themselves throughout all we've learned of our reality. What pattern do you look at as the one that explains reality? Of course, I think time travel is possible, so I tend to try to see everything as wrapped around itself.

Somebody posted something about looking at it like a corkscrew. I find that an interesting concept.

1. superwags profile image65

There are patterns which can be attributed to "causing history"; the boom and bust of markets, famine, etc. These tend to be backdrop for regime changes, wars etc. It is very interesting.

Having said that, it's my feeling that people often fail to look at events objectively and often try to attribute patterns which really aren't there.

I think this is probably just human nature; we know that we try to look for patterns even when they don't exist - this is why we're superstitious about certain things; wearing the same underwear for England's second round game in the world cup, for example, or in more serious things like prayer or homeopathy.

There's a brilliant talk by Michael Shermer on TED where he talks about pattern seeking and why people believe weird things - it's really funny and worth 14 mins out of your day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_jwq9ph8k

1. profile image0

Calling me weird now, are you? lol
            Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I don't think it's weird at all. Our reality has to have a pattern. Everything does. That being said, I'm not talking about patterns in history.

I don't see it  as a question of the supernatural. I see it as a question on the makeup of our universe. I see no reason to believe that science won't eventually be able to provide information on this. I simply think we need another Einstein to turn us into a different direction for the search, or jog us ahead of where we're standing.

No, everyone's the same - it's just how we're wired!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzOQLDwU … ure=relmfu

1. profile image0

Ok. I'll watch your videos at lunchtime. One question though; since you believe we're wired and weird, you see no reason to wonder on the universe?

Of course, but it is just to say that we should try to remove our "human" instinct for interpretation of counter-intuitive things like the universe or else it will hold back our true understanding of what's going on.

If you do nothing else, watch that first vid!

2. profile image0

You got my curiosity up. Couldn't wait until lunch. You're right. Great video. Thanks. smile

7. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Time is a creation of the Creator-God; who is All-Knowing. He sees everything wheter it is hidden or not; past, present and future are dimension for us human beings not fro Him.
      It is for this that when He witnesses a thing; there is no need for further witnessing.

[6:74] And He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in accordance with the requirements of wisdom; and the day He says, ‘Be!’, it will be. His word is the truth, and His will be the kingdom on the day when the trumpet will be blown. He is the Knower of the unseen and the seen. And He is the Wise, the All-Aware.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=73

1. dingdondingdon profile image61
        dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religious passages mean nothing to people who don't believe in the book they came from.

1. profile image51

Similarly thoughts of the atheists are not believed by the believers as they have no reality.

If by "thoughts" you mean scientific research and evidence then I don't know what to say to you.

1. profile image51

The truthful religion exhorts one to learn science; it is part of the truthful faith:

[20:115] Exalted then is Allah, the True King! And be not impatient for the Qur’an ere its revelation is completed unto thee, but only say, ‘O my Lord, increase me in knowledge.’*

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=114

* science

I already told you your religious passages mean nothing to me, so I don't know why you just threw another my way.

2. profile image51

Atheism is not a synonym of Science; science is a common tool for both the religion and those who don't have a religion to know things in the physical realm; it is not designed for use in the ethical, moral and spiritual realm.

1. profile image0

Actually, that's not quite true. There's moral psychology. And evolutionary psychology and sociobiology studies morals and ethics. And as far as the spiritual realm, you're probably right; but if we ever discern any evidence I'm sure science will jump right into the problem of studying it.

2. profile image0

Thats why I threw the prophesy statement into the OP. I wanted both sides to comment. There's ends to the spectrum of thought. On the one end it always comes back to god did it all. The other end sees no purpose in pondering. Then there's those of us in the middle. Assuming the answer lies somewhere in between.

Unfortunately, I don't find much help in the doggedly religious answers, but the scientific ones are helping fine tune the question in my head.

1. profile image51

And you don't claim to be perfect?

1. profile image0

No. Just curious.

8. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Instruments to Measure Time, make it linear.  personaly I think of it as multi-dimentional, no refference starting point- random point set.

9. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Watch out. If time is not linear, you may be forced to the inevitable conclusion that existence has "always" been here. lol

1. profile image0

No Mark. That's the cool thing. It isn't linear and I never thought it was. You said it yourself. Reality is expanding. If that's true, then it stands to reason it expands in every direction. Backwards and forward. Left to right. Whatever. I never saw it before. The possibilities of how to look at this are amazing. It only appears eternal from your perspective, and probably the perspective of anyone standing in any particular point of 'time'. It's just an illusion. But, I honestly believe someone (much smarter than me, I'm sure) can decipher this 'illusion' created by the ongoing expansion of reality and present it in scientific terms we can all understand. It's simply a matter of time. Its not eternal, and there's a whole lot more  involved in the ramifications of this answer than I think you're seeing.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

Sticking with your assumption then? K - Rather assumed you would. Get a bigger box. lol

1. profile image0

What assumption? That time isn't eternal? I don't see how to follow that argument Mark. I'm sorry, it just seems too bizarre.

No - the assumption that there was a beginning. lol

1. profile image0

Ok. Let's put this into perspective. I'm trying to determine the beginning point that we perceive as reality. I cannot accept, at this moment, (and I concede that maybe I can't accept it because the argument hasn't been presented in such a way for me to get a grasp on it) that reality is eternal.

Having said that, since it is apparently an illusion, maybe it is an illusion of eternity. Way too much info to process. I'm still wrapping my head around the current point. Give me a break preacher man. I may be thick, but contrary to popular belief, I can be taught. Baby steps.

You are assuming there is a beginning point.

Why?

1. profile image0

It might be more helpful if you could explain, why not.

Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me, that's pretty much what I think. The universe is eternal, but I do think there was a beginning to our illusion of reality. Still a problem, I know. I just don't know how to see around that.

10. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a good question. I understand linear to mean moving in one direction (Ie forward).

Of course we dont know much about this dimension other than it can speed up or slow down near to black holes and other phenomena in space but I dont think there is any evidence or hypothesis of it being reversed.

Since time is thought to be a dimension within this universe, what about the thought that this universe is inside another universe which has its own time that is running at a much differet speed to ours.

For example, lets say our entire universe is the size of an atom inside the black hole inside another universe. Time inside our universe could be running a billion years a second in comparison to the other universe.

Or maybe, there is another universe inside a black hole inside this universe, that has gone through a billion years since you started reading this post.

Here's some food for thought, If the total matterand anti matter in this universe equal zero, then this universe is made of nothing and therefore everything in it including time doesnt exist....

1. profile image0

I like the way you think. Thousands of possibilities. smile

11. profile image0
      jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Time is a dynamic concept, which is used to denote two locations of an object. As with all concepts it requires a brain to conceive. Time require something with memory to remember the previous location, and to conceive it. Hence yo can say it is linear, as walking back will not make time go back. As time is not an object, it does not affect anything. To be precise it is the change that we call time! As it is not an object it will not dilate or contract.As space is not an object, they never interact either.
      So to make it short, time is linear or should I say forward as memories are recorded one after the other. Time will end the moment all beings(Video cameras included)with memory end. For our universe there is nothing called time! smile

12. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I prefer to think of our existance as likened to a ring. Like a ring we are endless entities without begining or end. When put into this mortality a split is made in the ring causing it to have a begining point and an end point. When we become resurrected to a perfected being the ring is repaired and we once again are endless entities without begining or end.

13. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...time is but a concept that has been invented and exists only in the mind of the conceiver.
      It's as simple as that.

1. profile image0

Yes. I assumed we would all take that as a given. We'll call that concept 'my bad'. I was actually trying to find out how others perceived it. I would be interested in your thoughts. smile

1. qwark profile image61

Curious:
          That is my concept/thought.
          As long as we semi-conscious creatures exist we will adapt that concept, in whatever manner we can, to better understand the cosmos.
          But, of what "real" use is it to us since the probability exists that we will eventually succumb to extinction or...we will escape the bonds of this planet and try to find other habitable cosmic entities.
          If and when that happens, our earthly concept of time will be replaced by another "human" invention which may or may not be deemed the concept "time."
          At the moment, we are involved in educated guessing.
          Qwark

1. profile image0

You are no fun at all qwark. But, thanks for sharing. smile

1. qwark profile image61

hahaha...I know! I'm old and set in my ways....lolol   smile:
              Qwark

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

For me there no such as time without memory.

3. aware profile image66
    awareposted 13 years ago

times a illusion
    lunch time doubly so
    that's not mine

4. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 13 years ago

Just Curious -
    I actually agree with you and your search.
    In trying to get at a concpet of god, how do you deal with the concpt of Time vs. god.
    I think time is linear. But what gave me an inkling of the god concept is that, according to Einsein theories, time slows as you approach the speed of light. This would then tell me there is a proven physics theory that permits the existence of an eternal god.
    Once I reached this conclusion that there is a "possiblity" of time standing still, I looked no further since I don't have the brainpower to exend that concept.

1. profile image0

I'm sure I lack the brain power too, but it's fun to try to figure out what started it all and how it might end. I mean, really. What would be cooler than finding out what's beyond our reality?

1. Peter Owen profile image61
        Peter Owenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We'll find out soon enough

1. profile image0

Ok. I guess you're right. We all die sometime. But, the way I figure it is we've got one of two options. Either we die and the answers are given, or we die and we're dead. I like answers, so to be on the safe side I'll keep on thinking about it, even though I'm sure it will end as idle speculation. smile

5. Confidence101 profile image59
    Confidence101posted 13 years ago

It's my belief that if God exists, he must exist outside of time as we understand it. If God is all knowing, then he must see life as an entirety with no beginning and no end. If God were trapped in the same time we are, then he could not be all knowing.

It's like an infinite moment with no beginning and no end, just our perception. It's a reality created by humans to organize our lives in this reality to cope with sickness, death, disease ect... and to organize our lives to have a new beginning and a new end every day.

1. profile image0

Thats a pretty good take on it.

6. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

"There's no time like old times..."

Since imagination is the most important ingredient in developping theories, I tell you boys, that time doens't "move" in circles.
    It moves rather in spirals.
    It is measured by earth's rotation, and one rotation equals 1 day, that is 24 hours. And 1 hour equals 15 degrees of longitude. At the latitude zero (earth's equator) it means about 900 nautical miles. Each hour, we travel 900 miles. And the police can't do nothing about that.
    So, time and space are intimately linked. But the earth moves around the sun and the sun moves or spins around the milky way, "our" galaxy, in its journey towards vega.
    Here on earth, when the day is done after a complete rotation, each point of the earth has been travelling across new points in space. Meaning that the rotating earth's movement is a composite movements like a turning screw, since the earth follows the sun.
    So, even though we make a complete circular rotation each day, we're never back to the same point in space at midnight (relatively to an absolute referencial).
    Spirals have indeed a great role in the universe as we perceive it.
    So, neither time nor space should be linear, but composite.
    And this composite ingredient is the salt of life.
    Of course, if we've had enough drinking we could easily switch to a methaphysical range...
    lol

1. profile image0

Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting thoughts.

7. profile image50
    Meekalposted 13 years ago

Time is linear. It moves in spiral motion upwards, and is in constant motion. But I seen someone trying to compare time to God. I don't like the idea of such comparison. We can not compare the creator to his creatures. time is nothing but another creature like all of us, and it has its own purpose for being here. The rules that apply to us do not apply to God. He can be anywhere and every where without being effected by time. He made time and applied the rules that it goes by, but these rules do not apply to his Greatness. Time has a beginning and it will have to end at a certain point. just like us we are born and at one point our life ends. and for those who believe in the hereafter, I believe that then we will exist in a no time zone, and that to me is what explains the fact that we will have an eternal life in the hereafter. Love to all

8. dingdondingdon profile image61
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

Other people have already explained time as a concept better than I could, so I'll just say I see no need to "explain" prophecy, as there's never been a credible one.

1. profile image0

Yes, time is a concept. I'm speaking of our perception of time. How our history moves within it. What our reality is, in the final analysis. Poorly worded, I do admit, but I've seen some pretty cool answers from people pondering it so far.

That is the question I answered, yet you weren't satisfied. I think it doesn't matter what I say, you will just toss it aside. Clearly, you aren't actually here to learn anything or get your questions honestly answered. smile

1. profile image0

Oh, please don't look at it that way. I was wrong anyway. And, for that, I apologize. You have no idea how helpful your answer was.

I was, at first, just looking for other ideas. I wasn't looking at it like you were. But your post made me put two and two together. It's actually moved me forward in a way I hadn't expected. I thought I was just pondering, but now I see that once I get a firm grasp on the question it can possibly boil down to a mathematical equation. Which is pretty cool.

Won't prove anything of import, I'm sure, but I made a step forward thanks to the fact that you stand firmly grounded in reality. So thanks, and honestly, you have my sincerest apology if it looked like I was blowing your answer off.  That was not my intent. I'm simply scared of you. I'm always expecting an attack move whenever we're posting in the general vicinity of one another. I suppose I was in defense mode and I was wrong. smile

2. profile image0

Not to be rude, although I know I always come off that way to you, a simple 'apology accepted' or 'go to heck' would be warranted.

9. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

I've often pondered on this very question. Of course we experience time in a linear manner, because it helps us to make sense of things. But I do believe there are those who can move between time frames, or even manipulate their relationship with time. We all know people who can achieve a phenomenal amount very quickly, whilst others struggle to do a minimal amount in the same time frame. Plus, have you noticed how time seems to speed up or slow down dependant on what you are doing? You mention prophecy, and there are proven examples of people who have had that gift. Perhaps time is accessible going forwards as it is going backwards, it's just that we don't all have the knack?

What proven examples are there of prophecies?

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
        Amanda Severnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are any number of people around who get flashes of insight, but not too many of them seek publicity. Here's two that do:

http://www.psychictwins.com/predict.html

10. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

Have you seen this time traveller clip, BTW?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8WF3vGUn8

11. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 13 years ago

Time is a con trick invented by the Swiss so that they could charge us exorbitant prices for their watches.

1. profile image0

A conspiracy theorist. You're perceptive. I think you're right.

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL - time is a marketing ploy, I like that

12. Bima.Purnawan1 profile image60
    Bima.Purnawan1posted 13 years ago

Time is both constant and relative. How can that be?

Realtivity
    If you have a date with a beautiful girl in two hours it will seem like it takes FOREVER for that two hours to pass, so you may start the date.

But if the date with the beautiful, and as it turns out, intelligent an witty female is to last two hours, it will seem like only 15 minutes.

Linearity
    Time is constant; a second is a second, a minute a minute and this description fits fine with linearity.

How ever since, as shown above time is both relative and constant it cannot be linear.

This is why space and time travel someday might make it possible to travel to distant galaxies in an instant. The space time fabric, which you might think is linear, actually can morph and warp bringing distant locations close to each other so you can step through what is called a worm hole.

Thus time is not really linear, but rather elastic.

Wow - I cannot believe I remembered all that.

1. Druid Dude profile image58
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow doesn't yet exist. There is one moment. Now. Images can bleed into the now from the past, or the future, but time itself is extremely localized because time is not a constant. Time to me is not the same time which you are experiencing, not the same time which is passing on the moon or on mars. Time speeds up, time slows down, and for some, these increases and decreases are perceptable, like a diving rod. Time can reverse, too, and we would never know it has, because we perceive it as always going forward. How can this be? If you look through a telescope into space, you are always looking at the past. No matter where you point it, you cannot see the future. You can see the past, but you can never experience it ever again, and, because there is something beyond us, we can glimpse the future with our consciousness, but only because it has been revealed to you by that "Something".

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This discussion is very intriguing and thought provoking. Thank you. Just a quick thought on it. For time to be linear does it not need a point of origin, as stated the big bang or some such? Geometrically to be linear doesn't it exist on one plane, even if a circle? As stated above time is constant and it is a measurement of something. Or, can time measure infinity? Or just the finite? My belief system, not necessarily scientific or a philosophical truth, is perception is reality, therefore subjective to both the observed and observer, therefore time may very well be linear. Or, now has just become then, but when it did become then, is linear. For  myself the wonder of time is it is infinite as a concept, yet useful as a tool and more than likely linearly then, but as for tomorrow it is a mystery.

13. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Time exists. It's only boundary is reality.

Reality exists outsides of any thoughts, desires, will or wishes. Which means that it is outside of self and has nothing to do with your inner workings.

Wherever reality exists, so does time. wink

14. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

JC there are symposiums, lectures and discussions on the subject of time, the beginning of the universe, (13.7 billion years ago) what made us, when and how we came on the scene etc by Lawrence Krauss, who has won awards for his capacity to explain it all in layman's terms.

If you search him you will find his full series on BBC as well.
    Science has to validate all such theories across all the scientific and mathematical disciplines to be able to present theories that are robust. none of these theories were gained by believing in "truth" without testing its validity.
    If you even watch one of his lectures, it will give you a good basis for some of this discussion. smile

1. profile image0

Hey ernest. Sounds like a plan, but I think you've missed the point. Some people have posted some very interesting comments on the question I had. it's a question of perception.

15. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

Time is granular,existing one grain at a time,embedded in space and therefore inconsistent.Time is a figment of the imagination and exists so that everything doesn't happen at once.The illusion of time units and the consistency of time is there only so Rolex can charge $100,000 dollars for a watch when they know the impossibility of the question...What time is It?smile

1. profile image51

It was the right time for Jesus' Second Coming; and so he came in the symbolic form of the Promised Messiah 1835-1908.

1. profile image51
  16. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The Scientists don't influence the nature; they can only, to a limit, explain what already exists in the nature; nature is their master not the scieintists.

1. profile image0

All is just an explanation of nature, scientists do it rationally, while religion, irrationally!
      smile

17. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 13 years ago

Reading about the expanding universe in the last few post, got me to thinking about something:

If the universe is truly expanding, and science so far supports this theory, then, it stands to reason, that it is moving away from a central point of some sort.

If that central point was at one time a huge "ball" of all the elements we see in the universe today, then we can say that "life" did come from one source.

But in creating the "life" we currently know, the original piece was broken into billions upon billion of particals which, over time, developed into what we see today. "Life from death cycle"

And on the theological side...If the original source is god, then to create the universe we have today, "he" had to destroy himself to accomplish that creation.

This is just something to think about, for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Ah, but it isn't moving away from a central point if all objects in the universe are moving away from each other, in that regard, we can then say that either all points in the universe are the center, or none of them are.

smile

We were talking about your raisin bread (dots on a balloon) the other day in a science class I am taking. If I am undetanding correctly, it is thought that objects are moving out and away from each other. I understand this to mean, there was at one time a central area of origination and from that "spot" all objects are expanding exponentially over "time". Would you mind explaining your thought some more?

Yes that is true, if we backtrack all the objects in the universe to a central point in a void.

We can also look at that central point to be the entire universe, in other words, the central point IS the universe, hence when it expands the central point IS still the entire universe, or every point in the universe is the central point, or none at all. smile

Ahh...Ok...I think I understand what you are saying now. The Central point is still the central point...it size is just increasing. It cannot be anything but a central point, because there is nothing beyond it that can be used as a comparable. There is only one universe. If there was two, we would have a point of reference from one to measure the other.

As well, from within the universe we cannot find a central point of expansion as all points WERE the points of origin. smile

Got it. Interesting. Makes sense. I am going to have to look into that theory some more.

2. profile image0

Its getting better!
                All "points" in nothing, producing something!
                I wonder why it stopped that 13.7 billion years ago, the seeds of nothing might have run out of stock!

The great science of 21st century. I bow my head in front this wisdom.(I'll ask the so many gods, if I see them, to do the same. After all singularities are so rare, it should be greater than Mr.God of gods). lol

1. profile image0

This is interesting. People talking science appear to be separate sects. Just like religion. Are you playing the role of the fundamentalist today? smile

1. profile image0

Beel is not doing any science. What he is doing is, in his own words, "thought experiments". Dreaming would have been better!
                    It is impossible for anything, be it god or singularity, to create anything from nothing.
                    It is impossible for "nothing" to expand.
                    It is impossible for concepts to dilate. Only objects can do that. Time is a concept, not an object. A concept is conceived by an intelligent brain. 'Time' is there, only, if you are there, atleast a video camera should be there, to have more than one frame. In a photograph there is no time.

2. Beelzedad profile image58

It sure would be nice to know what it is you're talking about as you appear to be quite excited in hearing yourself talk. smile

1. profile image0

"It sure would be nice to know what it is you're talking "
                    I ask you the same.
                    What do you mean, when you say "everything/something" came from "nothing"?
                    What do you mean, when yo say space which is our conceptualization of "nothing", expands?
                    What do you mean, when you say a concept called "time" dilate?
                    So far you have said nothing, except some nonsense. All you are good at is telling all the theists how irrational they are, but all your sentences are Irrational!!

2. profile image0

Interesting thought. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)