jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Is the cost of Freedom loss of control without reason?

1. Johnathan L Groom profile image49
    Johnathan L Groomposted 6 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5304068.jpg
    Yes, without question.  Freedom is an abstract that has no controlling factors, only ourselves.  It is when we cannot make sense of mindless controlling factors that we lose control oursleves, limiting our freedom.

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Freedom is absolute...

This is the case when the controller and the controlled exist as one,united by reason of purpose.

At ths state the controller would appear as the controlled while the controlled would appear as the controller, neither undermining the value and status of the other but rather each upholding and magnifying each other.

Unless this synergy is achieved, then neither of the two cannot be, for each would be the undoing of each other and their own-selves.

And freedom in such a state is no freedom at all but merely a farce.

So we see Freedom as being absolute,reasonable and purposeful...

For Freedom is LIFE

2. recommend1 profile image66
    recommend1posted 6 years ago

I don't agree,  freedom is understanding that the 'substructure' is put there by 'others' for their benfit not ours - and then escaping from it the best we can  - or by bringing it down.  Currently I am enjoying a degree of freedom by living in a totally different culture to my own which gives me all the privelages of freedom of a guest but retaining the parts of the 'substructure' that I have helped paid for all my life that are to my benefit.

3. Johnathan L Groom profile image49

Are you suggesting that freedom goe with you when you are travelling?  Or are you suggesting that freedom is in a mindset?

1. recommend1 profile image66
      recommend1posted 6 years agoin reply to this

both, freedom is a subjective thing.  I am more 'free' than almost anybody I know in respect of more things than will ever know about,   and yet I am totally enslaved to my beautiful wife and do not even have the freedom to eat what and when I like.  Although maybe real freedom is that I 'allow' this situation ?

4. Johnathan L Groom profile image49

*goes

5. recommend1 profile image66
    recommend1posted 6 years ago

and I would love to hang in here and discuss it with you - but I am ordered to bed for an afternoon nap with benefits - and there is no freedom involved just abject obedience big_smile

I am travelling with my freedom at the moment but will get back to it next time I can get online smile

6. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

My favorite illustration of a way to understand the concept of freedom is the statement,

"The freedom of your fist stops at my face."

7. profile image59
    ibneahmadposted 6 years ago

It is freedom ill-conceived.

True freedom will have a good control of ourselves and would always be with wisdom and reason.

working