Christian Behavior

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (84 posts)
  1. DouglasTull profile image60
    DouglasTullposted 12 years ago

First I want to say up front that I am a Christian, but in my opinion Christians can be some of the meanest and most hateful people.  Why is that?  Why is it that the same people that talk about the loving God and forgiveness, are so quick to judge and fight?  The one thing I have learned in my own walk is that discussion is healthy and helpful, and if you are a true Christian you should be willing to share in love and respect. Yes I believe that God is a god with a jealous heart, who is vengeful, and who is able to bring wrath and destruction, however he is the same God that loved sinners so much that he came to die for everyone of them.  If Christians would quit playing and embrace this true passion then maybe they wouldn't be judged so harshly.  So what are your thoughts on this topic?

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You answered your own question.

2. TJenkins602 profile image61
      TJenkins602posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christians do seem quite mean. However, It could be worse.

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Much worse
        If christians told the truth about what they thought about some posts and posters there would be no christian forum occupants except the atheists.
        lol

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hold no fear of any religionist telling the truth about anything. smile

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There probably wouldn't be many Christians left either.  I could give my opinions on some of you all for hours.

3. profile image57
      SanXuaryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Read up on my blog if it ever gets posted. I am writing all about this topic.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

DouglasTull: I will not try to defend any other Christian. I will defend myself though.
      I am a Christian and I defend my Faith.
      Sometimes ordinary discussion becomes heated and in the moment one might say or do something that does not seem Christian.
      Even Jesus had a temper. Look how he handled the merchants at the temple in Jerusalem at the time of Passover.

5. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And yet another example of modern self-help culture that a person would think that Christianity was some sort of magic formula that could turn you into a nice, happy person or you money back.
      Short of a full-frontal lobotomy, nothing is going to take away your capacity for sin.
      The day we stop TRYING to be good, is the day we STOP being good: St. Augustine.

6. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This never happened; it is a wrong notion invented by the deviant Paul; it has got nothing to do with Jesus.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

I believe the reason why Christians (some)
    are rude gossipy and a**es is because you will find those people in every category of life.

Not all Christians are practicing even if they think they are.

There are nonbelievers who are better than Christians in actions...so it's more about the individual.

1. TJenkins602 profile image61
      TJenkins602posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The thing is that some of the Christians who are practicing contrary to what Jesus are some of the loudest.

Read the Gospels and then look at a lot of the Religious folks, familiarity much?

3. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I notice you would like all Christians to share in love and respect.

The problem I see with many is that they want to share their belief, yes, but there it ends.  Too many are unwilling to share what others have to offer and will only turn up their nose and declare that such things are impossible and wrong.  Couple that with an insistence that I share what they have and it seems mean and rude.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Part of the problem with the evangelical christians is never once in the gospels did the Christ advocate pushing beliefs, or changing society. His was a message to  look inside and change your heart. But, that's the hard part so it appears to be largely ignored.

1. profile image0

All christ did was push his beliefs as a matter of fact he had large set of beliefs. I could quote endless red letter text about how jesus came to preach the gospel and how he told others to go out and do the same.

Man your statement was so far out in left field we need a hubble telescope to find it.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol I didn't see this previously. Left field? I don't think so. You aren't an apostle, you know. You have to understand the message, which I've gotten the impression you don't; before you can determine if it is your calling to preach it, which I'm pretty sure it isn't. smile

You guys are yakking about what you want to believe, and I'm not saying miracles didn't happen at the time. I wasn't there, but I am here and everything you guys preach is easily proven false.

I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but your scriptures are pretty clear about what we should think of people that make false statements and claim they are from God. And, if there is one thing I'm willing to follow from the Bible; it is the advice on what to think about people who falsely claim they are speaking for God. smile

1. profile image0

put another lense on the hubble boys, shes a distant one.
          In case you hadn't noticed you did not reply to my post, which i thought that since you were replying to it you might have attempted to reply to it. Minor oversight i quess.
          When i said i could quote endless red letter statements, i meant just that, and since you claim to know your bible so well, you had to agree, but here is where i am confused, your original statement indicates that you do not know any red letter statements or black letter for that matter, so i am supposing that rather than commit to answering the post you decided to be clever and just vent a little stomach upset.
          This is what i mean when i say left field.
          If you are hung up on whether someone is an apostle or not, don't be. The command to save souls goes out to all his followers - is that not the purpose of God? Did not his son die so that anybody could believe on him and be saved? and how shall they hear except someone tell them?
          We could scoot on down to the unprofitable servant who hid the talent until his lord came back, but i won't.

5. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

A lot of christians were broken people, for any dark reason you can think of, this may be the type of christian you are talking too. Some christians do not know love, they can only mimic it or try to copy it, but love is foreign to them. It is something that they have to be taught and in time, it will be taught, but that kind of teaching does not come overnight, it may well be, a whole lifetimes work to undo that kind of damage and repair a stony heart.
       So, when the atheists "have at 'er" with the christians by responding out of any other emotion other than love or even kindness, but are in fact rude beyond normal social expectancy or when they encounter a christian who is wounded in the area of love, Can the atheist really expect to be shown love? and should they expect it, considering how little love they have shown the christian?
       Yes the word of God says to love thy neighbor and thy enemy, but now we have entered into an area of legalism, whereby the Word says 'do this', and the unbeliever thinks that the christian should just jump right into that mold and wear it unconditionally 24/7. But this is not as God would have it. God does not present each christian with his list of prerequisites and rules and then threatens to throw a lightning bolt at them when they err. God gently, lovingly works on the christian as a father to a child and he teaches them things over a period of time and with the co-operation of the christian. Love is not something that God magically imbues into the life of his children, but love needs to be built on trust, reliance and respect - these are relationship qualities.
    So for any non-christian to condemn a christian who doesn't act in love is actually judging the christian without respect or awareness of how God works and acts toward His children.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So we (non-christians) are actually very fortunate to have you to explain to us what the most powerful being in existence really wants, BO?  I suppose I never realized the magnitude of power you possess.   I am impressed!  smile

1. profile image0

whatever helps ya

1. Captain Redbeard profile image59
          Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pearls my friend......

You wrote:
            "So, let God judge and you, meaning christians, keep your mouth shut unless you can rebuke with love. big_smile There that was easier than I thought."

Followed by the pearl comment.

Are you speaking of the swine on here again? Just a tad hypocritical don't ya think?

Nice!

Not really, the swine metaphor in scripture refers to someone who doesnt appreciate wisdom just like a pig doesnt appreciate the food it's given. It eats out of it's own feces! Besides how can you say, "We know nothing of the Christian God or his personality" And then when someone who has studied the book of that God tries to explain it you shun him as an idiot. So how is it hypocritical?

1. profile image0

It is hypocritical because Christians who just love to throw the pearls before swine statement out have obviously chosen to ignore the verses directly preceding that one. In case you don't remember them, I've googled them and I'm pasting them below for your benefit.

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

How is that any different that what I said? Don't judge, we're no longer equipt to do so. That verse just proved my point. LOL Look I can understand how it can sound offensive but it really isnt, and how did I pass judgement on anyone? All I said was he opinion or explanation was cold shouldered. Perfectly fitting the verse. I said nothing about Randy or who he is as a person. Look sorry if ya'lls feelings got hurt but I think your blowing it out of proportion.

1. profile image0

Not blowing it out of proportion, just pointing out the hypocrisy of christianity.

You said the pearls to swine references a cold shoulder to your 'wisdom'. Christians are wise and opposing views are swine. Sure, I get exactly what you mean.

2. profile image0
                Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol
                Careful, you seem to be taking the atheists' bait.
                First you judge Christians by telling us to shut up if we can't do it how you think it should be done.   Then you try to show unconditional Love to an atheist and guess what---he doesn't care either way.
                The Truth is that God's word is not just a little ball of tolerance and unconditional love no matter what a person does.  The Truth is that God's word is words of conviction, and condemnation of blatant rebellious sin, sweetened with the fact of His love and forgiveness (upon repentance).  The Truth is, that while God's Love is unconditional, His forgiveness is conditional!
                Dontcha know that the rebellious mind/heart will turn on you either way?  So no need to water down the message.  Those who are willing to accept it will accept it, and those who aren't willing will not accept it.   A Christian's calling is to put that message out there no matter what, and then yes let God sort out the results.

1. profile image0

Just once I'd love to see an evangelical post that had an ounce of Christ in it. Not the whole thing, mind you. I'm not asking for a miracle. Just some inkling that one evangelical understood one tiny tiny piece of the one they claim to follow.

1. profile image0
                    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No you don't.
                    You only want to criticize.

2. Captain Redbeard profile image59

I don't think I told anyone to shut up, if I did i am unaware and apologize. My only thing is that this topic was posed for people who believe in the Bible or at least will use it as a reference point so I don't understand why people who refute it and refuse to have a topic of conversation pertaning to it join in.

Anyway Emile, exactly what kind of inkling are you looking for here? I kind of would like an example if you would be so kind as to pose one.

1. profile image0

The point is, evangelicals adore the belief that the world is on the way to hell and it is only 'the soldiers of christ' (and I use that term  with derision when it is defined by evangelicals) standing in the way of that steady decline.

This brand of Christianity uses the term love and then spits venom. It sees evil in the world, but claims it was made by their god and yet their god is good. It goes on about how their prayers are answered, and yet none of them use that power to help another soul. It claims innocent people are killed by its god through natural disasters, yet claims their god is different from the terrorists who blew up the World Trade Center.

The evangelical idea of god is diametrically opposed to the one that was known to the Christ. You see it in every post of every person who claims they are here to spread the gospel. The evangelical gospel is one of ego, bigotry and self serving interests. If evangelicals believe in satan, they might do well to take a hard look into the mirror. Many of the evangelical philosophies are in direct line with that concept.

You want an example, but it would serve no purpose. An evangelical wouldn't recognize goodness if it was standing beside them. They only want to see the bad in everything because it makes them feel bigger to do it.

6. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

I think there is a cultural problem with today's Christianity. Although Messiah said that no one comes to the Father but by Him, the Church interprets this to mean that their version of the Christian religion is infallible.

Now everyone is human and occasionally behaves in a base manner without thinking. So when a Christian has been brought up to believe that all the doctrines from their Church are the correct ones, it can come as a major affront to them when someone challenges those beliefs. If the challenger is particularly rude for no reason other than 'Christian baiting', we should not be surprised if the Christian occasionally acts in a negative emotional knee jerk manner before thinking logically about their response..

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Over the million religions had come and gone, that will continue except over all will shrink in time. Today a deist, atheist or non Christian will not get elected American president most likely in our life time -

Most followers do not actually believe much of what their religions say. The younger people stay in religion is largely by family pressure, yet most of them have no intention of supporting it when that pressure is gone. Most people will tell you they spiritual rather than religious.

Religions are largely a product of ancient times and beliefs of those times. The average person got little or no education and the religious claim their fairy tales have natural explanations which undermined natural law. Religion today no longer has the political control it once had - and its control over the mind of youth is decimated every time another church is closed due to lack of students. Religion is growing old and dying and there is a shortage of clergymen in virtually every religion on the earth. And the clergy no longer automatically garners the respect it once did. The money religion needs to survive for the ones who do have the money  are educated enough to know that religion is mainly a Myth.

Although there are the over capitalist type ones that have rigged the system to control the masses and these greedy rich tool religion to protect themselves by the  state police and by military war.

7. Captain Redbeard profile image59
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I kind of think that it is the "God Mind" that drives that kind of judgement you are talking about. I know it all to well, I have dished out my share of judgement and taking a beating too.

In the Garden of Eden God created man to rule and reign in the Garden so we were created with that kind of mindset, a just mind set. In revelation we read that during the thousand year reign it is the believers who will be judging the angels and other believers with God so I think it's fair to say that we were given a certain amount of authority to throw around however in the fall that judgement became corrupt with our thinking. So condesending tones and attidutes, discust for others sin and poverty began to creep into our minds and taint the "just" mind set that was given to us to use and is to be restored. So that's my theory on the "God Mind", I call it that because of what I have come to adopt as my interpretation of the bible. *clears throat* Love everyone and let God sort them out. There it is. So, let God judge and you, meaning christians, keep your mouth shut unless you can rebuke with love. big_smile There that was easier than I thought.

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I wish I had said all of that. Well stated and clear as a bell. smile

1. profile image0

Not really ernest. It's ranting for no gain. Not one evangelical will look at that and see anything other than criticism of their god. I've come to accept that it's a pointless endeavor.

I fear you are right. It's like a part of their brain doesn't function at all. smile

1. profile image0

Oh. It functions as well as any other. It is blocked by ego, imo.

1. profile image0
            jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry this is a reply to Earnest
            Unfortunately it is the other way round, the part of their brain(temporal region) over works, to the point that the "most religious" have some micro-seizures going on in their brains. That always override their rational part.

No wonder they says if one person is having a delusion we call him psychotic, but if a group got it, we call it religion.

1. profile image0

Personally, I've always considered that type of BS counterproductive in a conversation on religion. It is as pointless a the pearls before swine comment. No one is having seizures. It's a difference of opinion.

1. profile image0

I am not making it up, the deeply religious got it. Hallucinations and delusion are byproducts.
                Kindly look it up, instead of branding it as BS.
                The brain is a wonderful organ than you think and there is explanations for all the phenomenon that is experienced as religious(like oneness with universe, out of body experience, delusions, hallucinations) in the workings of brain. If you care to know more Adam and Victors Neurology will be a start.(It is medical book, I have to warn you)

1. profile image0

I'm not saying there aren't those who may suffer. Just as their are those who suffer other psychological problems. Branding all religious people is counterproductive and no different from their behavior.

1. profile image0

I said the "most religious".
                    I didn't say all religious persons.
                    You will not find an ordinary religious person claiming, they talked with god, or they have out of body experience, or they see angels.....
                    All psychological problems start with brain... there are so many interesting(for a medical student) brain disorders and psychiatric diseases resembles closely with the devout.

2. earnestshub profile image80

Yes, but it is more megalomania than simple ego inflation in many of the religiously infirm. smile
            They are able to tell me that I am going to hell, so I assume they have even taken over from the fairy they worship.

1. profile image0

You are exactly right on that one.

1. profile image0

Interesting
                God believes in capital punishment and so i don't think he will be inclined to put anyone into a defined area of space for their eternal torment but i will play devils advocate.
                directly to the point with no clever metaphors.
                If i see a person walking toward a cliffs edge, what do i do?
                a) ignore the situation and continue drinking my coffee
                b) wave and smile
                c) warn them to turn around a come back (ooops that was sort of a metaphor)
                So if we see someone ranting against God and posting psychotic posts about their obsession with biblical violence and calling God, oh lets say, a sky fairy and then a bunch of other things like that, we, as christians can somewhat safely say where that individual MAY end up. We do not know the future of that person so to pass a judgment like "they are going to hell" would be a wrong thing to say, even though, all the indicators that caused the christian to assess the situation in the first place, speak out volumes, and, given that people who repeat a thing so very often, after a while it gets ingrained in their psyche and they become immune to other thoughts and opinions, having a seared conscience, a sort of self brainwashing, are obviously traveling toward a cliffs edge.
                So its not a case of taking over for God, its more like zeal but zealy wrong.

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

More "warnings" from the psychotic biblical god fairy thingy.

"I have wiped out many nations, devastating their fortress walls and towers.  Their cities are now deserted; their streets are in silent ruin.  There are no survivors to even tell what happened.  I thought, 'Surely they will have reverence for me now!  Surely they will listen to my warnings, so I won't need to strike again.'  But no; however much I punish them, they continue their evil practices from dawn till dusk and dusk till dawn."  So now the LORD says: "Be patient; the time is coming soon when I will stand up and accuse these evil nations.  For it is my decision to gather together the kingdoms of the earth and pour out my fiercest anger and fury on them.  All the earth will be devoured by the fire of my jealousy.  "On that day I will purify the lips of all people, so that everyone will be able to worship the LORD together.  My scattered people who live beyond the rivers of Ethiopia will come to present their offerings.   (Zephaniah 3:6-10 NLT)

It's all just love really, no threats here, just warnings!

lol lol lol

What a riot!

Poor little psychopath....... What's this gods logic? I'll kill em all,  now they'll follow me!"

I know you can read, but can you understand the words? lol"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)