Rudeness

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Trish_M profile image80
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Is it me?!

It seems to me that a number of Christians think that it is their God-given right to be rude to non-believers ~ atheists, agnostics, etc.

This is most certainly not true of all Christians. I know, and am close to, some lovely, kind Christian people ~ and there are some very nice ones here on Hub Pages.

However, I have certainly noticed that quite a few behave very impolitely to those who disagree with them.

Perhaps they feel that atheists and agnostics have been rude to them?
    Indeed, perhaps they have!?

Am I the only one, who feels this way?
    Am I being overly sensitive?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You probably are.  Keep in mind that the internet is the ideal place for some people to "let it all hang out" and that includes abusing others.

Nor is it limited to any one religion (or none), sect, race, nationality or anything else.  It is just the way it is.

Grow a thick skin or stay out of certain forums.  Ignore what you don't like to see.  Remember that none of it is personal - how can it be when, with the click of the mouse, you can end it.  Plus, of course, the rude one has no idea who you are.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very true. People can respond very easily in an overtly rude manner when they cannot see or know the person they are being rude to. People would not behave in the way do here if they were instead arguing  across a table down the pub with a couple pints.

2. Castlepaloma profile image77
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness

HEY, I just moved to Creston BC a little ways to the north of you.

Have a electric bike and living in an off grid solar house, maybe I’ll run into you some day

1. Castlepaloma profile image77

Humor aside , I mean I like you, not to run you over with my bike,

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe this has something to do with it?

Deuteronomy 17
      If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

3. TJenkins602 profile image60
      TJenkins602posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, it is not you.

IT'S ME.

Also it is not enough that you are a believer. A lot of Christians are just rude to other believers, especially the ones that are more "accurate." Look at how they treated Jesus for example.

4. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not religious but I am a believer, so I fit a different category, but I'll tell you that the rudeness comes from both sides. It takes two to tango, you know what I mean? hmm

2. Trish_M profile image80

That's very true, Wilderness smile
    Thanks for responding smile

That was so rude wilderness

My kind of guy

3. Trish_M profile image80

Yes ~ and, of course, we are not seeing facial expressions, reading body language, or hearing tone of voice smile

4. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

I would be more inclined to believe it goes both ways.

I have seen both rude Christians and rude Atheists and Agnostics.

And then we would need to define rude... are you talking about flat out insults? Or simply someone who is refusing to yeild to loiberaliztion of the doctrines, or ewen dismissal?

I have seen many Atheists and Liberal who think because a Christian states straight out what their God feels about a subject or sin, and will not meet them half way and accept that act, then that constitutes rude... it does not.

So rude should be difined... and as I said...both sides suffer from rudeness at times and most people on here I have met have had their moments also.

Including myself.

Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are, most likely, correct.

I wasn't really talking about rudeness, in the sense of nastiness, but rather generally impolite attitudes and responses.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
        Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you give an example? I mean - If I say "Your beliefs are nonsense and cause conflict." Would that be considered rude?

I don't want to quote anyone, as that would be unfair, but I'll try to come up with a general example smile

Regarding your own example, I think that, if you were to say: "Your beliefs are nonsense and cause conflict", then that is an opinion, not really an impolite comment ~ though I do think that 'nonsense' might be considered a bit negative.

This could be worded slightly differently, ie: "In my opinion your beliefs are nonsense and cause conflict".

2. Castlepaloma profile image77

Evolution Guy
          "Your beliefs are nonsense and cause conflict."

To many Christians that would be rude, because they think their group is perfect in intelligent design and they think it is for everybody, the be all and end all.

Personally I find nothing insulting unless it was the truth, then I am learning something I can improve myself most by, you see, I can't lose.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I have to say that people that proudly preach their Christianity values are routinely sending hateful and racist emails all the time.
    i was raised to believe that Christians are not supposed to judge and behave this way..
    maybe southern Christians are different than northern ones..roll

Really?!?!

If I were a totally honest Christian, then took my core belief to the ultimate level.  Then love God even above all other kinds of love for people and things. Because my only soul salvation narrows down to mastering my after life for my huge soul. Knowing myself doing things at a world class level, I would be selling people everywhere about mastering the afterlife. In which would make me a world class jerk.

6. Rehana Stormme profile image71
    Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years ago

Although not a Christian, I am a believer. Now there was this Christian lady who was so rude to me at the orthodontist's, I just couldn't comprehend why she was being this way to me. But I guess she thought I was darned to Hell and all. My God, that was almost 8 months ago but I can't seem to forget it. A true Christian would be full of compassion and tolerance for all.

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

"I hate rudeness in a man." Woodrow Call, in Lonesome Dove.

habee People tell me your a kind and reasonable person.

I do not hate or against anything, it's  just that I ask hard questions to some people and they can't anwers me or give non sense anwers. 

Sometimes I mock them, would you say I am being a rude person?

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you are rude, does my vote count? smile

2. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you are rude either.

Now I am definately rude if you are looking for a benchmark rude guy. 

I seem to find it necessary to oppose overbearing, ignorant and bigoted fools who claim to be able to speak for their god, claim that their god gives them excuses to be homophobic, racist, supremacist and who they say condones their aggression and actual physical bombardment of Muslim countries and peoples.

I think that my so far reasonable stance tips into rudeness when the people promoting the lies, hate and phobias as being the word of their god are so stupid they cannot spell or put together coherent sentences, let alone coherent arguments.

I am happy to apologise for being so rude to such ignorant and evil people in the spirit of forgiveness from their god so that I can come back and be rude again.

3. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you're rude! I just saw Lonesome Dove - again - yesterday, and when I saw this post, I thought of Woodrow Call's famous quote! lol

8. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I would say if they are rude, " turn the other cheek." smile  Don't let them bother you. I always pray for those who are acting shrewdly. Jesus certainly wouldn't do that. Keep your head up and ignore them:)

Gee thanks, I wondered if my mocking humor had gone too far, it’s a form of defense for so much of the great unknown stuff.

I saw a t shirt that had an elephant lying down with 5 turkeys sitting on him, it said- Don’t let the turkeys get you down.

I think it’s important not to get so angry because that’s inefficient. People turn a simply discussion to a great debate or hard augment which add too much fuel to their fire in the belly.

After all we are all people, no better or worse than the next guy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)