What makes God a fair judge?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (32 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

Back in my catholic school days we were taught that God judges all of us, supposedly on the Judgment Day. My question was, what makes an all powerful perfect being able to judge an imperfect and powerless being? How can such a being fairly judge those with limitations s/he could never possibly understand.

The answer was, conveniently, Jesus. The logic was, by being born human, Jesus/God could live a life with limitations and thus fairly empathize with us mere mortals having experience of being mortal. I do contest tho that living a life where you can walk on water, raise the dead, turn water to wine, multiply food and basically be recognized and respected as the son of God/divinely inspired/Closer then most to God, does not put one in a position of understanding a normal life and isn't really enough to make God a fair judge.

I also find this in contradiction to the claim that Jesus came here to save us, not to gain a fair understanding of the imperfect state. It seems to me that much of what I was taught was a case of the nuns pulling it out of their arses.

It was flimsy and highly convenient 'answers' like this that has lead me to believe that religion is a crock.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

and did you not learn that questions such as these prove your lack of faith? noticing contradictions and questoning them mean something like "you haven't fully accpeted your need for God" I forget exactly. The most comon answer I go twas that I was being difficult and didn't really want to know the truth. ha

2. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God a fair judge...Hmmm...this would mean he would have to know every single thing you have ever done. And if he does in fact know everything, why wait until a person dies to punish them for their crimes (sin). One would think he would know if they are going to change or not...and punish them right away and help get a little more "evil" out of our world, so that the "true believers" have things a little easier.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What makes God a fair judge?

The fact that He IS God the Creator.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now in your adult life what makes you think God has ever been practical or fair?  Clearly, the god represented in the bible is anything but fair.  Why would a force so great as God put limitations on himself? 

The older I get and the more I become aware of the stories and history, the more I realize that much of what i learned early on was just opinions.  But that has just been my experience.  I would like to know yours.

5. kess profile image61
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Imperfection can only see imperfection...
      Perfection can only see perfection....

If you see yourself as imperfect, then it stand To reason that you can see God as imperfect.

And also God who is the perfect see all as perfect and sees no imperfection in any.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a cool answer kess.

2. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I guess the roads leading to realising religion is all a crock vary from person to person. smile

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And to think, for a long time I really wanted to believe tongue

I really wanted to believe that God was going to get those bullies for me! lol

1. earnestshub profile image82
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well who wouldn't want to live forever as a free gift? I guess it was an offer too good to refuse. smile
        It may have helped if the story was anything like viable though! smile

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Of course God's judgement was/is fair.

When he murdered thousands of innocent Egyptian children and infants because their fathers lived in a country whose leaders were evil it was fair.

When Jesus declared that the way to heaven was to believe in him it left untold generations of American Indians, Incans, Aztecs, Innuits, Chinese and Australian aborigines condemned to everlasting torment in Hell, but it was fair. 

It's just that Gods idea of fair is a little different than yours; like a little child whatever He wants is fair and OK.  It would be nice if he told us what he wants, but hey, if He doesn't then that's still fair.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Great point.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As Brenda said above, God is fair because that is the definition of what fair is.

Should we not agree that simply means that we don't accept God as a perfect being and are not being good Christians.  Or maybe that we have interpreted the history of God and His works incorrectly.

I'm not sure how to interpret sending an infant to Hell for eternity any different than, well, sending an infant to Hell for eternity, but that's what we are told, in interminable reiterations.

1. profile image0

Maybe you're told that by someone, somewhere, about God sending infants to hell.
          But not by the Bible nor by me.

Just wanted to clear that up, since your post seemed to attempt to connect the two things.

Apparently I misunderstood.  I took your post above to say that anything God did was fair because He is God.  "The fact that He IS God the Creator"

Not because the action was actually fair (by our standards) but because He is God.

If I mistook your intent I apologize - I often misunderstand forum posts.  Too egocentric perhaps.

1. profile image0

I still mean that--- anything God does is fair simply because He is God.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What you are saying then, is that because God is a hateful bigot and that it justifies why so many other religions so easily justify it also. Because there is no other way to interpret the actions of someone else who would do all the heinous things you describe. If a human would do this, he would be tried and convicted of murder. So how is that God is justified just because he is supposed to be "supreme?"

If God is love, these behaviors have nothing to do with unconditional love, and everything to do with favoritism. There is nothing fair and loving about it.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68

I think you completely missed his point.  It was called sarcasm and irony.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

I actually read it both ways. Literal, and as sarcasm in another reading.

2. wilderness profile image94

Reality is what it is.  Rationalizing and justifying it is a futile exercise that, while it may make a person happier with what has happened, does not change it one iota.

While mans concept of acceptable morality has changed as civilization progresses and it has necessitated a change in Gods morality as well, it doesn't change the historical record of the bible.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

I agree that arguing with reality is suffering.

Therefore, to define God and describe him as most religions do is not reality as it actually occurs. I think that is my main point.

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 12 years ago

Given all the self contempt and hatred that I have put upon myself throughout my life, my conclusion is that if there is a God that he in fact could never be as harsh toward me as I have already been to myself. Therefore, I believe that I am my harshest judge. If God is love, then he would already know that.

I cannot speak for others. It does seem to me that most people do not see themselves very realistically, although the worst among us seem to be the most internally self conflicted and ill. In that regard, if they continue to enable themselves to be such awful people, then their lives are a waste having derived no real meaning to bring about good or to bring out the best in themselves. And if God is God—a supposed God of love—why does he not intervene and steer such souls toward him?

The reality is that he apparently doesn't.

Arguing with reality is insanity and suffering.

And thus, is this God really as we perceive him?
    Does God, as we are told to believe, really exist?

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

What god? lol

6. Cagsil profile image70

There's a difference between believing in a higher power and a higher authority.

The possibility a higher power exists? Is minimal at best, but with that said, it doesn't mean that that higher power IS a higher authority with regards to humans.

False....as long as the idea of "might makes right" is accepted.

When the God described by Christianity has the increase in power that they maintain, coupled with the complete willingness to use it for whatever reason He chooses, then that concept is borne out and indeed that God has any and all authority it chooses to take.

It may not be authority in the philosophical and ethical sense of right and wrong, but it IS authority in the sense that He is the local cop on the block.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing false about what I said. "Might makes right" need not apply. lol

Just try explaining that to the Great God Google.  And then explain it to Randy, Izzy and a hundred more fine hubbers!

That'll change your mind in a hurry. lol

7. Cagsil profile image70

Anyone arguing that what they think makes any difference to reality, goes to show their own ineptitude. wink

8. profile image0
    jomineposted 12 years ago

If I'm the all powerful being, what I do is fair, What I do is justice. Who are you to ask? I'll burn you eternally in hell fire(with love of course wink)!!

1. lone77star profile image75
      lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jomine, that is hilarious. cool

But you'll do the burning only because they decided that's what they wanted. With only two choices and hell being the default, not a pretty picture for some.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a pleasant "message" with which you folks beat us up over the heads. It's very arrogant of us to reject your love.

9. lone77star profile image75
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

@kirstenblog, you pose some powerful and important questions, but you work from some flimsy conclusions.

Who ever said Jesus came here to find out what being human was like? And he never said he was God. He said he and the Father were one. Big difference. A race car driver and their vehicle can be one, too. That only makes them a better driver; it doesn't make them a car.

The object of his mission was not to find out. He already knew. The object was to show us an example to inspire us -- to leverage us out of a sticky trap called ego -- that invisible, tricky, pseudo self which acts as the source of all evil. Yes, even the evil perpetrated by the "church." Even the evil of the little old lady who goes to church and wouldn't be caught dead talking to a street bum or prostitute.

Have nuns and popes pulled things out of their arses? History is full of such things. Only one pope could walk on water, and he only accomplished it for a few seconds. (And he didn't even know he was pope of anything.)

And good for you @kirstenblog. Such religion as you describe is a crock and always will be.

All human interpretation of the Bible is fallible (yes, including mine). I don't hold any of that interpretation as "absolute truth." But the Bible itself and what it truly means is likely far more interesting and complex than anyone has yet imagined.

I've only scratched the surface, but I've discovered a biblical timeline compatible with those of science, the mechanics of creation embedded in Genesis, the Kabbalah's "Tree of Life" symbolic template embedded in Genesis, an answer to why God would give such incredible protection to a liar and a murderer (Cain), and a resolution to the seemingly outrageous longevity of the early patriarchs.

And oh, one more thing -- an answer to what was the real reason behind the Flood. It wasn't ordinary, garden variety wickedness and violence, either. The Flood cured humanity of something and targeted a very specific group. There just aren't any nuns that know this stuff.

And did you know that karma and reincarnation are in the Bible, too? Lots of places!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)