Is israel - palestine issue religious issue?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

what r u views on this?...is it political issue or religious issue?

1. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only political. I don't see any religious thing there.

2. secularist10 profile image60
      secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is definitely an important religious component. There are also important ethnic, cultural and geopolitical components.

Israel is located in a place that Judaism claims is the "promised land" given by God to the Hebrews. This is why Zionists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries sought a state in that location, rather than, say, China or Australia.

Radical Jews in Israel are constantly pushing for more land, more land, more land. Their justifications are entirely religious in nature.

Many Muslims develop a hatred for Israel and the Jewish people through religious indoctrination. Wahabi textbooks (Wahabbis are the fanatics that run Saudi Arabia) are prominent throughout the Muslim world, and feed Muslim children all sorts of hateful and bigoted ideas about Israelis and Jews.

That said, politics and other factors are essential too. Most modern Israelis are secular, i.e. they don't really take religion very seriously. For them, Israel is more of an ethnocultural nation-state, not a religious one.

There is also non-religious ethnic animosity between Palestinians and Israelis, or between Arabs and Israelis generally.

So it is not a purely religious issue, but there is certainly a religious component.

3. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is not a religious issue; it is political through and through.

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That depends on whether or not Jews and Muslims would fall back on their religious views when making political or social decisions.

And, we find that they most certainly do.

2. JBBlack profile image61
    JBBlackposted 12 years ago

It is obvious that it is a blend of both.  Let me just share something I have thought.  The creation of the Jewish state and support of it from within this country, USA, is connected to the Christian end of the world.  I'm not going to go read Revalations to get the the exact quote, but isn't one of the benchmarks for the return of Christ the refounding of Israel?  Seems like intentional or subconscious encouragement, trying to game the apocalypse.  Some sort of evidence to point to and say to yourself, see this is happening in our lifetime.

As far as Palestine and Israel are concerned its politcal for them.  For the US, it is both religious and political.  Obviously the two groups have different religions and this is a factor.  But security issues and terrorism and settlements and other things of this sort can hardly be blamed on religion, and are products of society and culture, rather than sourced directly from the religion.

3. oceansnsunsets profile image84
    oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years ago

I think it is a religious issue in a deeper sense, yes.  In fact, a lot of what we have seen with Israel, is often only really made sense of in the light of some religion.  Without going into detail here and now on that, I think something has to make sense of something that on its own, makes no sense at all.  What would that be?

Think of just HOW strange it is, that this little tiny country, continues to make waves tot he degree it does over the centuries.....  There is a sheer hatred.... it doesn't make sense to keep wanting to remove it from the map like so many want done to it.  Others have had good thoughts on it also.  I think this is an excellent question to ask, to make one ponder and think more deeply about things.

I think its meant to be that way to some degree.

4. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Islam is by its very nature a religious/political beast.

And yes religion is at the heart of the matter.

Islam MUST kill the Jews in order for their Mahdi to come and bring about judgment.

That sort of lokcks the entire Ummah into war with the Dar Al'Harb, the house of harbis, unbelievers.

Politics is a nice cover... but even should all the political issues be resolved, Islam is still obliged to kill the Jews.

So it would not end... as Arafat knew when he walked away from everything. He knew damn well he could not go back and tell his fellows to stand down, the conflict was over... that would not have worked at all. And he knew it well.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

TMM - you're a bit of a scholar on this stuff.  Do these guys still believe the old text that tells them to kill the infidels (in the modern age) or was that a place and time thing from when it was written similar to some OT Christian wars?

1. secularist10 profile image60
        secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course it is just a time and place thing. The vast majority of Muslim people don't believe in killing Jews, otherwise they would all be signing up to travel to Israel to kill everybody.

The Islamic community learned quickly to live peacefully with Jews, as it did in North Africa, Spain, Egypt, etc. This was very soon after Muhammad's time. Jews like Maimonides were prominent in the Islamic world and did quite well.

There are even some passages in the Quran encouraging Muslims to be in peace with Jews and Christians.

If we look at people's actual behavior and history, while there is plenty of violence, it's not the cartoonish "evil" religion that conservative Christians like Mason think of it.

5. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

According to my exfiance, who is Muslim and lived in Jordan, yes it is only a religious issue. He was rather adamant about that...

1. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aperantly we still hold the caste system. There are people we talk to and there are people we kill. It is a harsh reallity and it is an ugly one.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always asked him why they hated jews so much and why they couldn't live in peace. He told me it was because they had done many terrible things to the Muslims  But a Jew would tell me that the Muslims had done many terrible things to the Jews. I was friends with a Jew at the time. Needless to say this was a topic of some tension. At the time, as I didn't understand fully, I tried to get him to think that there could be peace. He said he didn't want peace.

pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

He said he didn't want peace.?...strange...

He didn't want peace, in the sense of, to accept peace would be to let what he called the Jews' atrocities against them go unpunished.

then it becomes endless cycle till both seize to exist...

Exactly....

But he assured me that Muslims would wage holy ware on the rest of the world and only Muslims would remain. At the time, this frightened me and so I asked him would he wage holy war on me, too? (since I am not muslim) He didn't really answer.

programmed brain...even i have had discussion with few such people...they seriously believe that world would become peaceful when everyone converts to islam and only muslim would be there...till then muslims would keep waging war...

Yes that's exactly what he felt and that was exactly his position. Peace was impossible and of no value, with him. He told me that it is stated in the Quran...only the Muslim will remain. Then the world would be as God wanted it to be (at the supposed "end of time.") To me, it sounded an awful lot like a Nazi concept. The weird thing was, he said he was allowed to marry me (being Christian at that time) but once the end of the world holy war began, suddenly Christians were worthy of death. Including me. I ddin't understand thre contradiction.

6. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Israel is the only religious state by law allowed in the world. You have to be Jewish to obtain citizenship. Now is that a racial state or religious? However when they steal Palestine, it is political in so far as theft is usually a legal matter and law is political.

7. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

People moved in, took over, stole everything. How would you respond? That is what happened in 1946 to Palestine. Israel did not exist [prior to that year] It hadn't existed for a thousand years, and then it had been called Palestine, and Israel consisted of a single tribe, the tribe of Judah IN PALESTINE. Just how would you respond?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)