Jesus denied ‘good’ for himself

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

When someone praised him and referred to him as ‘good’ as mentioned in the gospel of Mark, Jesus was quick to point out that he was not worthy of any praise and that ‘ No one is good but God alone’.

Jesus was a humble human being and held the Creator God in high esteem

1. mischeviousme profile image59
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The greatest treasures in life are awarded to those that consider others first and the self last.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus wasn't referring to himself there.  He was making a point to human beings that they can never be perfect within themselves, but that they must strive to be like God, keeping His commandments, etc.   Jesus was God in a fleshly body.  He WAS perfect, sinless. 
      I'm sorry you cannot see that.  Unless and until you can realize that Jesus was the perfect Sacrifice and the perfect Savior, you won't be able to understand who God is.

"He who puts his life before another is truly devine". What of the good semeritain? "The light of God rests in all men's hearts". what do these things mean? If we were not meant to find answers, then surely your God intended for us to remain stupid. Remaining as a child, does not mean don't think for yourself. Free will helps us to decide what is devine and what is not. The words of men will always be overshadowed by universal truths and absolute truth. We were meant to find the answers, not have them handed to us. Enlightenment is easy, Christianity makes too easy. I will not be blinded by your ego, though I will learn to see through my own...

1. profile image0

First of all, can we spell it right?  Divine.
          Please cite references for your quotes so that I can give opinion on them.?
          And what do you mean by my "ego"?
          In case you don't know, paarsurrey believes in Islam, from what I understand from his posts.  He doesn't understand who Jesus really was and is.  So, I was replying to him from that knowledge.

Everyone has ego and it is this that our illusions to right and wrong are born. There are certain universal laws and spelling has nothing to do with them. So if you'd please be humble enough to squelch your ego for a moment? One needs law and DIVINE law does not apply to the living, so this is my point; I don't care. I have tried to impart personal wisdom and you have angered the God inside myself.  What I say is what is, you can agree or disagree it matters not, but personal attacks are uncalled for.

1. profile image0

Oh my.  You certainly ARE "mischievous", aren't you?!  LOL.    You almost had my interest even after the comment about me "angering" the God inside yourself.  But ya lost me when you referred to personal attacks, of which I've done none, but you have come mighty close already to doing!

To say that we can spell divine and hold it over my head was an attack. Even I am subject to anger from time to time. For that I appologise. What I was trying to impart was this. I can follow any number of men and teachings, but it is the truth and the law of self that matters, this is our moral compass. I hope I have not offended you to deeply. I am human and for that I appologise. Do you accept?

1. profile image0

No, I won't say it was an attack because it wasn't!

But Yes, I accept your apology!

Do you want to start over?  I'm okay with that.

May I ask you to define the "law of self" that you referred to?

Again I appologise. The law of self, is the recognition of moral aptitude. I see people everyday that are bound by the laws of their religion, yet they still commit attrocities, some more than others. Being saved does not free one from sin, it should be the will of the student to be faithful to the teaching and do as the teacher would do, until it is time to move on. This does not mean that the teaching should go away, but respected. I respect the law and it is my choice to pay heed to it. This is the law of self, how we govern the life we have, how we relate to others and how we treat the world at large.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image69
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If he wasn't referring to himself, though, why didn't he just say so? Did he ever say he was saying that out of example?

1. profile image0

Everything he did and said was for our benefit, to show us how much God loves us, and to show us that God is Holy.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69

But I mean in this particular situation, how do you know he wasn't referring to himself?

1. profile image0

For one thing, Jesus's body was human.  It was the Spirit inside him that was divine.  When people saw him, they saw a human body of course, and human attributes.  Jesus wanted to make sure that he illustrated that it's only our spirits (souls) that are important. 
              So, although he didn't spell it out in specifics, it's obvious he was referring to mankind's frailty and temptations.  The verses preceding and the verses following point to this.   And the other Scriptures that tout his divinity and perfection of course uphold this.

But how do you know? Where in the Bible does it say this? ...

It doesn't have to. We are all divine creations, we just refuse to see it, for we already know the answer and we know it hurts.

I was addressing my quesstion specifically to Brenda. I know she is a Christian and believes in the Bible, so I was challenging what she said based on the Bible and if she could back it up in the Bible.
                    Whether or not I feel the Bible should back up one's opinion would be irrelevant...

2. profile image51

He who is most humble rises the most

3. rLcasaLme profile image68
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

Jesus is a man and always, as in always, He wants all of man to go by His humanly example so that we may become righteous in the eyes of God. That has always been the attitude of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will never boast of His deity because if He did, we will have excuses that we can't be like Him. God himself had to be a man because only God alone is righteous. We cannot make any human an example for no man is righteous. God Himself had to come down and show us once and for all to make salvation possible.
    It just saddens me when people really cannot comprehend who Jesus Christ is.

4. profile image51

I can well comprehend that Jesus was a normal human being whom the Creator God has chosen as messenger prophet to his people like Jonah was chosen as Jesus himself mentioned.

1. rLcasaLme profile image68
      rLcasaLmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, you don't. smile

2. rLcasaLme profile image68
      rLcasaLmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

However, I admire your determination.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)