Screwdrivers at a funeral

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

According to the gospels, Jesus told his disciples to heal the sick and raise the dead. Why is it then that 2000 years later we don't take screwdrivers to funerals?

Has the western Church lost its faith, lost it's vision, lost the plot? Or was Jesus only talking to those apostles and we assume that this commission was for us also?

Perhaps God looks at the Western Church and thinks that if he granted his power to them to raise the dead, then the world would think he endorsed the Church's carnality, greed, false doctrines, and TV evangelist fraudsters. Thus for the sake of his glory he refuses to distribute his "holy Spirit" gifts.

I for one have never seen a miracle or a healing, let alone someone being raised from the dead, yet these things were the common experience of the Churches in Acts. What's gone wrong?

1. shamelabboush profile image50
      shamelabboushposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Age of miracles is over buddy, long ago....

2. mischeviousme profile image59
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

None of it ever happened, the bible is nothing more than a work of fiction and it's not all that powerful... Unless you leave your brain at home.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Scientism, or materialist philosopher?  Or are you just an arrogant prick?

1. mischeviousme profile image59

Nope, just calling it like I see it. If the written word were meant to be followed to a tee, I'd be worshipping the catcher in the rye. So what's the difference between a Stephen King novel and the bible? My answer; The number of pages...

So the Jews never lived in Palestine in your world view - that's so brilliant that I don't know where to go from here.

History doesn't exist, I'd best run check to see if the sky is falling....

You can choose to believe the rantings of 2000 years dead savages or, you can leave the past behind and move ahead. If all the crap in the bible were litterally true, we'd all be screwed...

Savages?  So how long have you been an Anti Semite?  Was Jesus just another of those crazy conniving Jew conspiracies?

So Moses' allegory of creation that well explained the vastness of time and creation in a manner that nomadic goat herders of any intelligence could comprehend on one level or another - that's "Savage" to you?

Let's see your great work, Sir, and see how you're brighter than Moses.

2. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
          BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I’m not going to say he’s an arrogant prick. I already got banned once.

But this guy did reply to a post of mine that he didn’t like: “Go write a hub and maybe I’ll take the above comment seriously.” This was two weeks ago on the very first topic I ever posted on (“Stop plagiarizing the Bible and write something original).

Oh, I’m not ticked at him. He did me a favor. I got motivated to write some hubs, and now I’m going to write many more, on a wide variety of subjects. Something I actually had no intention of doing, until he alerted me to the fact that unless you have hubs you must be stupid. Yeah, I did him a favor too, and I see that he has now changed his profile to read “archeologist” instead of “archiologist.”

Well, please excuse me now. I’m going to make a batch of screwdrivers (gotta have your orange juice in the morning) and watch Benny Hinny raise some people from the dead on TV. This is my favorite reality show.

Who is it that can speak their own mind? Is it necessary to have one's mind clouded and under the control of other people? I chose to have a free mind, don't get angry at me for not having a mind of your own. I broke away from mainstream religion and I feel better for it. I remain mindful of myself and how I affect others, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. I must have had a bad morning the day I picked at you, but at least I don't pick at any one individual, I pick more at the unoriginallity of religious regurgitation.

If one is just reading a book line for line and living in it's pages, they are not living... They are mirroring. Refrain from redundant language and speak/write from the self, otherwise the words appear not to be the pure motivation of the speaker/writer. Being minful of the language used, is being mindful of the listener/reader. I must admit I've stepped outside of these lines and for that, I am ashamed. I still think that I am no better than anyone here, even though I may disagree from time to time. I do not hold one's mispellings and grammar against them, that's just petty and rude.

3. kess profile image61
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At the inception of the religion which carries the book, the christ was systematically banished from the church...

Open their books and read it is all recorded for you to know. The Christ has become a book, which speaks to their comdemnation.

The Truth Christ is where it has always been, with every man who would seek to know Him, and it has continued His work in this world by healing and delivering, but in such obscurity not many have nor will ever realize this.

For that church the antichrist have cleverly hidden the Christ that the very elect were deceived.

4. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They're usually served at the open bar.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I agree, but I'm confused by the title. Is that a mixed drink for the funeral or a hand tool? If a hand tool, flat head or philips? I'm not sure how any fits into your statement.

To open the coffins, though I think you'd need a claw hammer, coffins used to have nails.

2. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I want to know that too, Emile!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Presumably the hand tool.

But it is a torx head - much easier for power tools to grasp.  A screwgun puts the coffin together with much stronger joints, after all, and we don't want the zombies getting out!

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
          Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

By screwdriver I mean hand tool. That is would the Christian have enough faith to believe they could raise someone from the dead at a funeral, in view of the horrified looks from the deceased's familly? It would take some chutzpah certainly.

Yes good strong joints last longer. hmm

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
            BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, you're talking about a tool.

In medieval Scotland a tool was invented called the thumbscrew (aka pilliwinks) to determine if people were really dead. The screwer would keep screwing until the screwee quit screaming and therefore the screwee was determined to be dead.

On the subject of liquid screwdrivers at a funeral, the problem is the vodka. Just look at all the heathens in Russia. The Bible says use a wine for thy stomach's sake, but it don't say nothing about vodka.

Satan invented vodka. You can't smell it on somebody at a funeral and often can't tell they're drunk until they climb into the coffin to visit with the guest of honor.

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
              Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At least the Russians never used pilliwinks...

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
              Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)