- Sports and Recreation»
- Team Sports
Sports Trivia Questions - NFL Trivia
Think you know NFL trivia? I’ve put together some sports trivia questions from the world of professional football that I think any football fan would be interested in.
You may find some of these NFL trivia questions a little easier than some of the others, but I think you will find all of them to be challenging. You'll need to know about not only quarterbacks and defensive backs, but running backs and coaches as well. With regard to coaches, I have one surprising question about winning percentages you might find interesting and a running back question that most people miss.
Test yourself and see how you do.
10 correct – You win the Super Bowl by completing 10 straight passes on the final drive.
7-9 correct – You win the conference championship on a Hail Mary.
4-6 correct – Your team wins the division for the first time.
1-3 correct – You complete your first pass, unfortunately it’s to the other team.
0 correct – You’re caught wearing your athletic supporter outside of your pants.
NFL Sports Trivia Questions
1. Who was the first defensive player to be named MVP of the Super Bowl? (Hint: He was also the first player on the losing team to be named Super Bowl MVP)
2. Which NFL coach has the best regular season winning percentage for his career? (This does not include playoffs and must be a coach with a minimum of 100 decisions.)
3. Which NFL quarterback holds the record for the highest completion percentage for a single season? (Min. 100 attempts)
4. Who is the only running back in NFL history to carry the ball over 3,000 times and average at least 5.0 yards per carry for his career?
5. Who kicked the field goal to win the game for his team in the NFL’s longest game?
6. Dan Marino was the first quarterback to pass for more than 5,000 yards in a season. Who was the first quarterback to pass for more than 4,000 yards in a season?
7. Who has scored more touchdowns than any other player in the NFL?
8. Bill Walsh is credited with shaping three of the games greatest quarterbacks. Who are they?
9. Which player intercepted more passes than any other in his career?
10. Which two teams played in the first playoff overtime game in NFL history?
Scroll down for the NFL Sports Trivia Answers.
1. Chuck Howley. Rookie kicker Jim O’Brien helped the Baltimore Colts beat the Dallas Cowboys 16-13 in the final few seconds of Super Bowl V, but Dallas’ Chuck Howley was named Super Bowl MVP.
2. John Madden. John Madden’s record was 103-32-7 for the regular season and 9-7 in the postseason. (112-39-7 overall) Most people pick Vince Lombardi as the coach with the best winning percentage and they would be right if we included the post season. Coach Lombardi was 96-34-6 for the regular season and 9-1 in the postseason. (105-35-6 overall)
3. The best completion percentage in a season (72.0%) was set in 2017 by Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints.
4. Barry Sanders averaged exactly 5.0 yards per carry for his 3,062 rushing attempts.
5. Garo Yepremian kicked the winner in the 1971 AFC divisional playoff game between the Miami Dolphins and the Kansas City Chiefs. It ended halfway through a second overtime period. Total time of the game was 82 minutes, 40 seconds.
6. Joe Namath became the first professional quarterback to pass for 4,000 yards in a season when he passed for 4,007 yards in 1967. (And he did it in a 14-game season)
7. Jerry Rice holds the record with 207 touchdowns.
8. He is credited with shaping Ken Anderson of the Bengals, Dan Fouts of the Chargers and Joe Montana of the 49ers into outstanding quarterbacks.
9. Between 1964 and 1979, Paul Krause intercepted 81 passes playing for the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings.
10. The Baltimore Colts beat the New York Giants 23-17 in the 1958 National Football League Championship Game, which has since become widely known as The Greatest Game Ever Played.