jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Who is your favorite sports broadcaster of all time?

1. Tim Quam profile image61
    Tim Quamposted 4 years ago

Who is your favorite sports broadcaster of all time?

Who was most unlikely to make you turn of the sound and turn on some music?

2. lions44 profile image99
    lions44posted 4 years ago

No one beats Marv Albert. He was the voice of both the Knicks and the Rangers for years.  He was brilliant with Walt Frazier and John Andriese on Knick broadcasts. Nationally, Al Michaels is the gold standard.

Having grown up in NYC, I have some biases, but for Yankee telecasts I really liked Bill White and Frank Messer. Not much on Rizzuto though, but he was fun. Nationally, I loved Vin Scully and before that Garagiola/Kubek. For the NFL, it's Summerall. But before that I always loved the late Charlie Jones with Len Dawson.

The only play by play guy who I would turn off is Bob Costas. Maybe he's an easy target. Not sure why. Even on Olympics telecasts, he drives me a  little nuts. But I remember him on Game of the Week (NBC), and I did not like him.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

John Ward. The voice of the Tennessee Vols for so many years. I used to do exactly as you have said. Turn down the TV and turn up the radio. Nothing like that phrase "give him six."

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

You have to go way back to the early days of television, when Dizzy Dean and PeeWee Reese would cover the game of the week. They both were star players and could talk about the game without boring the viewer with excessive statistics about how well a left-handed pitcher does against a switch hitter on AstroTurf as opposed to dirt in an out-of-town name game as opposed to a day game at home.

Give me a break. Watch the pitch, tell me if what kind it was, fast, curve, slider, etc and where he stands in the inning, two out, one man on second, down 1 run in the bottom of the ninth.

5. billypetty22 profile image59
    billypetty22posted 4 years ago

Harry Kalas. Not only did his voice ring across Philadelphia every year since the 70's, but his work with NFL films took the audience in the living room and tuned them into the viewing material with his way of words and that profound tone of voice. I recall listening to his call of the Phillies 2008 World Series win along with Mike Schmidt's 500th career home run. "That ball is outa here." Harry Kalas was the voice of the Phillies, and since his death a Phillies game has never been the same.

6. EJ Lambert profile image73
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

Mine is a push between Johnny "Red" Kerr and Neil Funk.  Both did Chicago Bulls games during the Jordan Era and were equally engaged in the team, knowledgable of the game mixed with that slight tinge of frantic excitement whenever the games picked up.  It was a great time to be a Bulls fan.  I still get goosebumps every time I hear Johnny scream and shout whenever Jordan hits another buzzer beater.

7. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

I can't pick just one!  Vin Scully is definitely a standout.   Being a Los Angeles Lakers fan from way back, the late Chick Hearn comes to mind. For football, it's the late Pat Summerhill,

working