jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you let your kids help with your campfire?

1. Joel Diffendarfer profile image94
    Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years ago

Do you let your kids help with your campfire?

Raising 9 kids, and camping a lot, I have always allowed them to help with the campfires.  Some people over the years think I was wrong...however...none have ever got burnt and allow my grandkids to also help when camping.  (your thoughts?)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12145981_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I think it's fine.  I let my kids help as long as we are right there to ensure they are doing things safely - why not?  Obviously I don't let the younger ones actually light the fire, but my oldest has helped with that since he was 12.  It's fun and it teaches them respect for nature and also how to be safe.  Fire building is a good skill to have.

Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I usually started the younger kids with "collecting" kindling...and then, to collecting larger firewood...we created different  piles throughout the day in anticipation of the evening fire...I liked to pair the younger kids with teenagers...

3. aesta1 profile image89
    aesta1posted 3 years ago

Yes, we often let the kids prepare it, look for the logs, put it together. Of course, always with an adult with them. It is fun for them and the pride of doing something which everyone enjoys always give them the feeling of satisfaction.

Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years agoin reply to this

preparing for the evening campfire always turned into a "family" activity...as the kids got older, they became very respectful of fire and always wanted to be nominated as "in charge" of the fire...

4. PaigSr profile image55
    PaigSrposted 3 years ago

Growing up on a lake there were always campfires. Kids were always good for finding the wood. As we got older it moved to building then lighting. Now as the parent I get to run my kids through the same path of making campfires.

5. moonfairy profile image81
    moonfairyposted 3 years ago

I think it's fine as well. You're teaching them how to build a fire and how to be respectful and responsible with fire. It's a win-win situation. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing better than sitting around a campfire with people that you love to be with!!!!

working