jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do so many people avoid spending time in the woods?

1. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

Why do so many people avoid spending time in the woods?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

Modernization of mankind!
    Given a choice between sleeping in the woods or in a king size bed at a 5 star hotel most people will choose the hotel every time. It's human nature to prefer comfort/coziness over roughing it.

3. liesl5858 profile image88
    liesl5858posted 2 years ago

Because people are looking down on their mobile phones or IPad or on their computers playing games, texting or emailing. New technology keeps people indoors and not outside. Have a look in the playground, not many children play anymore in the open space. A lot of kids stay indoors playing Candy Crush or Solitaire. Sad, isn't it.

4. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

Lyme disease and snake bites come to mind. Then there is the heat and humidity. Bears? no flush toilets. getting lost. having to actually cook something. having to haul in and haul out everything. The Texas Chainsaw guy. Forest fires. foot blisters. Oh, the list just goes on and on.
    We worked hard to have a nice home and nice things. Why go out in the woods where those things aren't?

5. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12533661_f260.jpg

There are many reasons. We have indeed lost - touch with nature. We enjoy and prefer the comforts of housing with all of the luxuries of this amazing technology era we are in. The "woods or bush" if you will, can be challenging to modern man. Man has developed a myriad of fears associated with the forest some of which are warranted. The number of hunters, hikers, etc. has also (possibly) reduced over time.
    The attachment to electronics indeed has become a significant and recent impact on use of our "outdoors." A significant chunk of our leisure time is spent rather passively "wired" to our various devices rather than "in nature" and not living a "fine and pleasant misery" in the outdoors and out-houses.
    I will never forget when 2 of my college students chatted with me about hockey after a psychology class one recent semester. They were aware of my hockey-habit and were anxious to share that they "played" hockey too. After about 5 minutes, I became aware and quite shocked that their version of hockey was played on an X Box not a smooth sheet of ice. They observed no significant difference. The proverbial Generation Gap was now more than a line scribed in the ice...

6. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

When I was a child in the 1970s, it was popular to camp in the wilderness.  In those days, you could drink right out of the lakes and rivers.  Apparently, it got TOO popular, and the lakes and rivers got polluted and in some areas, the great outdoors turned into one big latrine.  Nowadays, so much has to be done - treating water, setting up outhouses - you might as well stay in a hostel.

working