Peyton Manning...is he the best quarterback ever??????

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (49 posts)
  1. historybuff1 profile image59
    historybuff1posted 14 years ago

I've been watching and playing American Football for most of my life and have seen many a quarterback play the game.  I can honestly say that Peyton Manning is the best I've ever seen...bar none!  And I'm not even a Colts fan...unfortunately I'm a Redskin fan believe it or not we do still exist.

2. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

This has been asked already many times.

There have been many great quarter backs.  There will never be a best as each generation has their own to worship.

It's just a game.

3. Mike Rogers profile image60
    Mike Rogersposted 14 years ago

Yes.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The sad question has been asked multiple times, and my same words will again come forth.

NO! He is the not the best ever to play the game. He still has a ways to go, to obtain that title.

1. historybuff1 profile image59
      historybuff1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil,

I'm curious how you rate them?  I look more at how he plays the game and the result of it as opposed to stats.  There are many players with great stats that you can make this assertion .

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

The problem is, each of the greats: Unitas, Starr, Baugh, Montana, Favre etc. Played in different eras with very different rules.  NFL rules are now highly skewed to favor the offenses in order to generate fan interest.

Nevertheless, Manning is the greatest of all time simply because I say he is.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you are simply wrong!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  Once again I am comforted by the fact that you disagree with me.

1. profile image0

someone has to correct your continual errors.

2. wavegirl22 profile image47
        wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have got to agree with A Texan here.  .Manning is good  . .you can even say great but he aint the Best of all time

But I said he is.  Why are you not understanding this concept?  If I say it, it is so.

P.S.  I agreed with Tex a couple weeks ago on something.  I'm still having nightmares.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Ron, Peyton is a legend in your mind and his own. smile At least there is two on one side. lol lol lol

You are dead wrong. mad

I know for a fact that his mom feels that way too.

2. profile image0

I told you about football players from Texas! Brees is an Austin boy, hell Ron, his uncle was a pretty good quarterback for Texas. Manning's from Nawlens, and that ain't Texas!

Brees may be from Texas, but he learned to play football in Indiana.

1. profile image0

Really? He won a a class 5A State Championship in Texas, I doubt that Purdue University could do that even if they were allowed to play! Indiana, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

A high school championship?  That's about as impressive as claiming to be the smartest guy at the TeaBaggers convention.

1. profile image0

You don't know much about football!

6. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 14 years ago

montana is the best all around qb becasue he could do it all, peyton is the best at reading defenses. Peyton is a top 3 alltime its individualised by who you think is all time best. As long as well all agree top 6 are montana unitas,peyton,favre,elway, bradshaw it doesnt matter what order there in.

1. Mike Rogers profile image60
      Mike Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Favre?

IMO, not in the Top 20 of all-time let alone Top 5.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brett Favre is barely in the top 5 of current quarterbacks. In fact, by the time he finally does retire (permanently), Aaron Rodgers will probably knock him out of it.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

We won't be doing that.

7. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

guess the saints answered this one tonite

8. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 14 years ago

Rodgers top 5 all time wtf, hes good but not that good! you must be a packer fan, i will says he's top 5 now!

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

I didn't say all time, I said current QB's. And you don't have to be a Packers fan to realize that they made the right decision two years ago.

9. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

He couldn't pull it off yesterday so i guess he is not the best ever.

10. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

As a Canadian who really doesnt watch NFL football that much I watched 2 absolutely great quarterbacks play last night.

Not sure what others will say but it was a tremndous game in my books.

Manning and Brees were a treat to watch.  They are only human but yesterday they were something else.

Many will say Manning lost the game by throwing the interception but I think the Saints won the game with the onside kick.

Kudos goes to you Americans because after last nights game I will be watching more NFL football from now on.

Cheers

Dale

11. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

He's obviously not anymore... since he couldn't *best* the Saints!!

12. jobister profile image60
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

Can I state he is the best of this generation of football players? How about that? Do you think that is fair?

13. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 14 years ago

He probably is. Look at what the Colts were before Peyton. Look at how the Colts play now when Peyton isn't leading the offense. I think Peyton makes everyone around him look better than they are, and not vice versa. The major exception is Jeff Saturday, who I consider one of the best centers of all time, with or without Peyton Manning.

14. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

He made it a lot harder to make that case with the way the Super Bowl ended.

15. freddykrueger profile image58
    freddykruegerposted 14 years ago

Im sorry, but how you think he the best when he only got one super bowl ring. There's terry bradshaw and joe montana that have 4 rings then you got tom brady and troy aikman that have 3. I know that he's good and will be one the greatest now and when he decides to step away from the game.

1. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they meant best at oreo licking

16. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

ok for one there is Bart Starr - The only quarterback in history who has a ring for every one of his fingers on his throwing hand

and yes then we must go back to Texas. . .and Roger Staubach who took a team that lost 5 playoff games in 5 straight seasons. In his first year at the helm he turned the Cowboys into a championship team and it was then that Dallas became. . .  “America’s Team” .

Peyton has one superbowl ring. . .and it took him 8 seasons to get it.

17. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Great point, Shari. Let me also include Johnny Unitas:

* Super Bowl Champion (V) (1970)
        * 2x NFL World Champion (1958, 1959)
        * NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
        * NFL 1960s All-Decade Team
        * 10× Pro Bowl selection (1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1967)
        * 6× First-team All-Pro selection (1957, 1958, 1959, 1964, 1965, 1967)
        * 1× Second-team All-Pro (1963)
        * 1× Second-team All-Conference (1970)
        * 3× AP NFL MVP (1959, 1964, 1967)
        * 3× UPI NFL MVP (1959, 1964, 1967)
        * 2× NEA NFL MVP (1957, 1967)
        * 3× Pro Bowl MVP (1959, 1960, 1963)
        * 3× Bert Bell Award (1959, 1964, 1967)
        * 1970 NFL Man of the Year Award
        * Colts #19 retired

Sorry.  I didn't feel like writing all of this out lol

18. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

You stuck your finger up your ass and pulled this gem out

"All right, let's just throw this out there, shall we?...Texas fans are a little biased when it comes to........TEXAS. Why don't y'all just annex yourselves and become your own damn country for crying out loud? If this happens, we may even prevent another "Bush-type" from entering the oval office! OOoooooooo.. Maybe..."

Why wouldn't I be a fan of Texas? Its obvious you are quite jealous of the fact that you are not a Texan, and just so you know, George W Bush was born in Connecticut and educated at the best schools the N. East has to offer! So sorry about your luck, but no need to continue whining.

19. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

haha...true true, 'A Texan'...I do whine, I'll admit to that...but don't try to pawn Bush as a Northeast brat because of where he was born or where he went to school (btw, he did go to public school in Houston for a couple of years). He was governor of Texas and owned the freakin Rangers (great team there, btw!). And, he currently lives in Texas!..face it, man, he's Texan...he's all yours! We don't want him! big_smile

20. gmann46 profile image60
    gmann46posted 14 years ago

In my opinion he has been the most consistent over the last number of years. If I owned the team I would definitely want him or Tom Brady to build a team around.

21. profile image52
    douglas_9465posted 14 years ago

Well, albeit this is a matter of opinion, there are many facts leading to my conclusion that Peyton IS "ONE" of the best QB's of all time. I couldn't state conlusively that he is the best however, because he didn't win the last super bowl. IF he would have won by a landslide I'd have more evidence, but as of right now he is only on my LIST of great QB's along with Brett Favre, John Elway, Joe Namath, and so forth. I can't right now honestly say that he is above any of those QB's, but he is right along side them as of right now, come a few years down the road, however, I may be singing a different tune.

22. Ann Nonymous profile image60
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

I think I used to think so until I heard him utter words like, "I treally thought we were the better team. I thought we were going to win..." (paraphrased!)at an interview after he and his team lost....
    After that I thought good for the Saints for winning. They deserve the honor!

23. rambrose57 profile image60
    rambrose57posted 14 years ago

He's not even the best quarterback right NOW.  He has great skills but comes up short in some big games.  I would still say Tom Brady is the best right now.

Then why can't Brady beat Manning (either one)?  It's been a while.

1. rambrose57 profile image60
        rambrose57posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brady didn't play in 2008 due to injury.  He beat Peyton in 2007.  Besides, I measure greatness by winning the BIG ONE.   Brady has won more big games.

24. cabinetkings profile image61
    cabinetkingsposted 14 years ago

Peyton Manning has some of the most impressive statistics for any NFL quarterback but as far as labeling him the best quarterback ever, that is ridiculous. He has choked many times throughout the playoffs and is constantly surrounded by amazing offensive talent. Amazingly talented / awesome numbers? Yes. Best ever? Hardly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)