How do you feel about the Denver Broncos pursuing Peyton Manning?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (60 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

All I can say is that if the reports on ESPN are true, then it does confirm my beliefs that the Broncos have NEVER believed that Tim Tebow was their "guy" for the future.  And having a guy like Peyton Manning, does seem like a logical step to distance themselves from Tebow mania going forward.  However, is that fair though?  Is it a good move?

What do you guys think?  If you were John Elway, and let's just pretend hypothetically that Manning is interested, would you bench or trade Tim Tebow in favor of Peyton Manning?  Why?  Or why not?

1. profile image0
      ctbrown7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd feel better about it if it were the chiefs.

2. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

To be honest, I don't think Peyton Manning will want to sign in Denver because ESPN has reported that he struggles in cold weather; which I'm sure even Peyton knows about as well.  Therefore, it's doubtful he'll want to play in Denver for those reasons alone, but if he is interested in playing Denver, then the Broncos would be damn fools not to take him, and trade/bench Tim Tebow. 

No offense to Tebow, who seems like a nice guy, and has done everything that his team has asked him to do, and then some.  However, it's also a business too, as sentimentality means nothing in today's nfl; which we just saw as an example between the cutting Peyton Manning from the Colts.  Therefore, if a guy like Peyton Manning can be cut, then Tebow shouldn't be surprised either if he finds his job in jeopardy if the Broncos can get Manning, or if Tebow happens to struggle during next season.

1. Cassie Smith profile image61
      Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But Steven, it gets cold up in Indianapolis also, and it hasn't affected Peyton before.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, but he also played in a DOME in indianapolis also, so that negates your point.  plus, as espn pointed out, he has struggled in non dome cold environments before.

1. Cassie Smith profile image61
          Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that's the case, I wonder if a non-dome team would be willing to install a dome in order to sign him up.

1. profile image0

idk...that sounds kind of expensive; especially since we both know Peyton isn't going to come cheap.  Plus, he probably only has like maybe 5 more years of playing life left before his physical attributes decline.  therefore, I don't know if any owner would want to go that far out of their way for Peyton Manning.  I can see a team signing Reggie Wayne to help lure Peyton to their franchise, but I'm not sure about a new stadium though..

2. Michael J Rapp profile image60
            Michael J Rappposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If he were ten years younger and the city was already looking to build a stadium I'd think maybe, but as it is that's pretty unlikely.  But maybe they'd rent a tent to put over the field for him. smile

3. Michael J Rapp profile image60
    Michael J Rappposted 12 years ago

I think the Tebow Experiment needs to play itself out in Denver.  The guy performed far better than anyone expected, somehow shredded my Steelers in the playoffs, and even had Elway smiling by the end of the season. 

Plus, Manning played in a decent climate in college, and a dome in the Indy.  I'd think the last place he'd want to go would be Denver. 

If I were Elway I'd let it ride with Tebow at least for one more season.  Get some quick receivers around him, open up the offense, and keep that defense running on all cylinders like last season.  But . . . I guess if Manning wanted to come to Denver they'd be dumb to turn him away, wouldn't they?  Tebow could still be the guy for the future.  Just not the immediate future. smile

4. Joe Macho profile image84
    Joe Machoposted 12 years ago

I'll probably get some crap for not understanding the Tebow phenomena. When it comes down to it, I saw Tebow get the go ahead due to pressures from the public and an overall hype surrounding the guy. It's not that Tebow is a terrible quarterback, but seriously, there are much better options. Games are won with strategic precision, not (dare I say it) luck. Having Peyton Manning in Denver would be more than anyone can ask for, and moreover would be pretty stupid to pass up. Just my two cents though

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Manning is coming to Arizona.  8 home games and 3 road games indoors plus the best wide receiver in the NFL.

1. profile image0

good point.  plus, if they can sign reggie wayne as a second option wide receiver, then that would be a very explosive offense to match up with.  however, i think the dolphins could be a potential threat to get him though too.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image83
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That could work. It would certainly be a better option for Manning than Denver.

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

If Tebow sat behind Peyton for a year or two, that might really help his development.  Mike Silver from Yahoo sports did a nice piece on the teams persuing manning.  His first choice was Houston.

1. Michael J Rapp profile image60
      Michael J Rappposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking that too, about Manning helping Tebow's development, but then again I don't know.  Obviously Tebow's mental game could only improve alongside Manning.  But Manning is a stand-and-throw QB, and Tebow is, well, everything but.  Maybe Manning would help him a ton, or maybe Tebow would get so far out of his element he'd be useless.

Manning in Houston is interesting.  They already have some nice offensive pieces for him to work with.  He'd stay in the same division too.  Ouchie for Indy.

7. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 12 years ago

I thought Denver had Tebow?  Why mess with success?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  I'm rooting for Tebow.

8. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

What does Peyton want more than anything at this point in his career?

Money? He got over $20 million last season, and didn't play a down.

How many Super Bowl rings does his little brother Eli have? One more than Peyton.

If he goes to Miami, Denver, or Arizona, winning the division and with it a playoff spot is iffy. Who doesn't believe Houston will win its division, with or without Peyton?

Houston was likely one quarterback away from the Super Bowl this past season. Well, there he is.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image83

Houston already has that quarterback, but he was injured halfway through the season. They should be looking to extend Matt Schaub's contract, not seek out a much-older and riskier Peyton Manning. When both are healthy, they each have a mid-60's completion percentage and throw for 4000+ yards a season. At this point in their careers, I would not consider Peyton Manning an upgrade over Matt Schaub.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't disagree with anything you said.

But somebody like T. J. Yates is not going to get you to a Super Bowl any time soon, I don't think.

If Houston had both Manning and Schaub, maybe they'd end up with one or the other being healthy enough to play at the end of the season.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image83

I just doubt they have the cap room to carry two star quarterbacks on their roster. Schaub will make nearly $8.5 million this year, and Manning would demand more than that. Either way, they'd have a lot of money riding the bench that could have been spent on quality starters. I think they're better off just risking it with Schaub. He broke his foot when Albert Haynesworth landed on it, so it's not like it's a chronic injury (which Manning's very well could be).

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Plus I don't think he likes to play there because he will be in the same division with the Colts.

9. Ron Montgomery profile image60
  10. Bigpayno profile image58
    Bigpaynoposted 12 years ago

This is a very interesting situation.  I don't see this happening because Denver fan base is in love with Tebow and Manning isn't going to put himself in that situation to compete with a city.  Fans are still going to be a Tebow lover until he starts bombing next season.  Maybe he'll learn how to play the position and come out on fire and surprise everyone.  I just know Manning won't want any part of that drama.

11. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72

Hey Ron Montgomery, you miss Kurt Warner much? LOL.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We sure did this year.

12. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

He's clearly going to AZ. Ron has already switched his HP avatar.
    It's settled.
    smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61

wink wink

13. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

He might go to Miami - watch out Patriots and Jets!

Hey prettydarkhorse, awesome hat girl! I have one something like that, although it's difficult to color coordinate it with the rest of my outfit. I mean, I'm not really into wearing yellow dresses.

Actually, I haven't worn any of my Steeler stuff since Tim Tebow and God beat us in the playoffs.

Yeah, I hope Peyton goes to Miami. I'd rather not see the Steelers have to deal with Houston in the playoffs next season with Houston having home field advantage. That's what cost us this past season.

Yellow is good for you, but not a dress I bet!

Why not, it was a win with the snap!

I don't think Peyton likes to go to Houstons for personal reasons.

14. MarkRFox profile image61
    MarkRFoxposted 12 years ago

That is why I wrote several hubs that basically said Tim Tebow is a joke..because he is...he was just the latest fad like the wild cat and 4-6 defense of the 85 Bears...my hub Why Tim Tebow Will Not be Starting in the NFL Within Three Years or Less says it all...so does my other one about Why Tim Tebow's Supposedly Amazing Performance Wasn't Impressive at All!

15. MarkRFox profile image61
    MarkRFoxposted 12 years ago

But Peyton aint their guy either...he is done!

16. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72

So what team has the cap space to sign Peyton?

And if they don't, how are they going to get the cap space, as in release who?

The money, it's always about the money. For the team, anyway.

Peyton doesn't care much about the money, since he is going to get $20 million or more from whatever team he ends up with.

You better start doing some math, Ron Montgomery.

You're not making a lot of sense.

Okay Ron, here's the story. It may make you cry.

Your team, the Cardinals has no cap space. You used your moola to franchise tag Calais Campbell. You would have to get rid of Kevin Kolb if you want Peyton. Kolb has cost your team plenty already. Are you going to say goodbye to him for Peyton who may not play much longer due to age and/or further injury problems?   

Miami, Denver, and Kansas City are in good enough shape cap wise to sign Peyton.

Houston is not in good cap shape.

The Steelers are in terrible cap shape, which is why Hines and some other veterans had to go.

I really like prettydarkhorse's cap shape.

Nothing there for me to cry about.  What is the salary cap this season?

If Peyton is available, then yes they cut Kolb.  No one who brings in Manning is looking past 3 years.  It's a move to win right now.

17. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72

Hot off the press!

Peyton Manning is meeting with the Denver Broncos as we speak.

Just saw a clip on ESPN Sports Center where Tim Tebow was carrying Peyton's bag.

The bag looked empty. I think Peyton planned to put some money in it.

11 more to go!!

18. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72

Peyton Manning Update:

Peyton had dinner with John Elway and John Fox last night, and is still in Denver.

Will the Broncos close the deal before he leaves?

Or will Peyton do the 11 more like prettydarkhorse mentioned?

That's a lot of free dinners.

19. strkngfang profile image78
    strkngfangposted 12 years ago

I don't see Peyton going to the Broncos.  Of course he would help them but the fans love Tebow and its the fans who will fill the seats.  I agree with BLACKANDGOLDJACK that Manning would be perfect for the Texans.  The only thing that kept them from being division winners every season were the Colts.  I'm very curious to see where he'll end up??

20. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I think he will choose either Miami or Kansas! In Kansas the team could easily win their division if he will join them.

21. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72

Peyton Manning is now in Arizona.

My question is:

Where's Waldo? You know, Ron Montgomery.

Who do you think's showing him around?

Cool!

Really cool.

I didn't believe Ron until I saw a clip on ESPN last night of Peyton and Ron riding in a big limo with a group of women. I recognized the women from my 2012 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.

Show some respect.  One of those women was my mom.

No way!

I saw the resemblance, but I thought for sure she was your sister.

So Ron, what's the skinny here. What do you think the chances are after the visit of the Cardinals getting Peyton?

Hey, I'm rooting for you. I always liked your coach when he was with the Steelers.

Although I'm good with the Dolphins too, because I hate the Patriots.

22. Hypersapien profile image43
    Hypersapienposted 12 years ago

Outside of teams that already have an elite QB (New Orleans, the Patriots, etc.), almost everybody should at least be taking a look at Peyton.  That said, I think Denver needs to stick with Tebow.  He's shown he can get the job done, so I wouldn't necessarily scrap a winning formula that's showing promise.

I like Manning and I have no doubt that he will land on his feet, but the question really is how many more good years does he have left?  With 14 years under his belt, I see him playing another 4-5 years max - especially if he wants to win another ring.  I can see him going to a team in need of an elite QB while they groom a solid draft pick, and you can do a lot worse than having Peyton Manning mentor your future QB.  (That alone was worth keeping him in Indy in my opinion.)

23. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

It sounds like Bud Adams is just itching to get Peyton:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 … _ref=false

I wouldn't mind seeing him back in the state where he started it all!  And maybe they could bring in a few of the other Colts who got turned out, too... smile

24. The Suburban Poet profile image82
    The Suburban Poetposted 12 years ago

I think Bud Adams is being the jerk he usually is... he knows he can't sign Peyton so he makes this announcement to be sure that the world knows that Peyton rejected him.... no way Bud will pay what is needed.... it's a self-serving announcement and serves no other purpose than to CYA by throwing Peyton under the bus....

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm no Adams fan, so I'm not defending him. smile  They say the Titans salary cap is in good shape--you don't think Adams would give what was needed to get Peyton?

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant by "CYA"... big_smile

1. The Suburban Poet profile image82
        The Suburban Poetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CYA - cover your ass... Bud owns the Tennessee team and it stands to reason the local fan base would want Peyton to play at home... so Bud has to make it look like he tried or else he might catch some bad press.... I'm just being cynical....

25. Hypersapien profile image43
    Hypersapienposted 12 years ago

Looking at this from the standpoint of what Peyton wants, I don't think it's necessarily about the money for him at this juncture.  (He knows there will be endorsements and an analyst job waiting fo rhim when he finishes playing, if nothing else.)  I think he wants another ring, so he'll be looking for teams that are actual contenders, in my opinion. 

So the question is, what teams are only missing an elite QB to get them over the hump?

26. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Titans have zero chance of landing Peyton.  The national media says Denver has the edge right now, but I think he's coming to AZ.  The Cardinals are a better team and they give him the best chance of returning to the Super Bowl, which is all that really matters to him.

27. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

Why is that, Ron? About the zero chance?  I admit, I haven't had a chance to follow too much of this yet, so I'm not up on all the reasons why or why not certain teams. big_smile

For my own personal reasons, I'd love to see him in Tennessee again, but I wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Larry Fitzgerald, either, lol.

The Titans would still be an awful, dysfunctional team even with Peyton.  He's a great player, but it's not as if he's the Spaghetti Monster...

Ahhhh, okay...well, they gotta start somewhere to come back! big_smile

Again, another reference I don't get...spaghetti monster? ROFL

I don't prosthelytize on his behalf, but you can google him.

Okay, I googled him, but all it took was the headlines to see I didn't want to click on any of them... lol

Anyway, I can't wait to see where Peyton goes, because Tom and I WILL follow, wherever it is!

28. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 12 years ago

it just ups the money from the other interested teams. I think he'll be a titan when it is all said and done

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)