jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you correct an adolesent's dress style while building confidence? Would

1. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

How do you correct an adolesent's dress style while building confidence?  Would you say anything?

If your daughter had a friend who spends a lot of time with you - or you have an adolesent that spends time with you and you have built a relationship - and you notice the young lady at times dresses with cleavage showing in an unattractive manner, or in a hemline that exposes too much when she works (and she has to bend, stoop, etc.) - - would you address the situation?  How?

2. daisydayz profile image86
    daisydayzposted 5 years ago

To be honest I am not sure you should try to 'correct' someone elses dress sense. A persons apperance is based on their own opinion, there shouldnt really be a 'correct' or 'incorrect' way to dress, it is a personality thing. Fair enough if you think it doesnt suit someone or may be a little inappropriate, but in the end it is their choice what to wear and you are only likely to embarrass them if you comment on it. Obviously if it is highly inappropriate in a work place then a manager or collegue may say something. For an adolesent this is a time of experimantaion with ones style and having an adult dislike it is likely to have the opposite effect - rebellion. I think the best way to approach it is to try an comment on good aspects of an outfit. If she is wearing a well fitted pair of trousers but an inappropriately low top, comment on how nice the trousers are, or how the fit really suits her. This will hopefully help a little and tell her that others like her dressed in certain items.

Hope that helps a little

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

If the child or person is not related to me, no I would not say anything because I assume they have parents.  Anything I might say could hurt their feelings or be seen as undermining someone else's parenting.

I would however talk to my daughter about her friend and ask her how she feels about the way she dresses and if she thought it might be more appropriate to cover up a bit.  The daughter has more of a chance to change it then I would.

4. Melindas Mind profile image69
    Melindas Mindposted 5 years ago

It's a matter of positive reinforcement. When they look good you make sure to compliment them, and say that style shirt/pants/dress looks awesome on them.

NEVER tell them they look fat or that color makes them look sallow or whatever. Teenagers and preteens are so incredibly self conscious it will just make it worse for them.

5. Becky Katz profile image82
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I try not to be obvious about it but I have and it has helped. My daughter has a friend that is endowed. She had too much hanging out and I was looking at a catalog and commented on how the girl looked so nice and her shirt was a little higher than normal. It seems to be the fashion to let it all hang out.
    We got to talking about that and she said she was tired of the fad and I pointed out to her that if she did not care for it, she should not do it. Be a style setter. She now wears a little more up there and does not show cleavage to the world. Her mom thanked me. She had been trying to get her to cover up more.
    I told her that I just told my daughter that she was not going out of the house with things hanging out and if she didn't like it, tough. It is called parenting. I think they bith like this new concept.