Do you think that its ok to mix Cothing brands.

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Divamommy profile image60
    Divamommyposted 14 years ago

Is it just me or are a lot of people like me. For years i have always shopped for outfits. I will buy from array of designers but i will not mix up the labels. I just cant do it. I cant put on a pair of designer jeans. and a shirt of another designer. I have seen people do it and i don't get it. Most Designers likely will make tops and bottoms to match. Me and my Husband went shopping and he wanted this track suit made by a well known logo  and that was fine but then he picked up some running shoes by a totally different brand. This became a very heated shopping trip because he thinks Iam overacting. I just have a Big list of Do's and Dont's  And this is a Don't.

1. rebekahELLE profile image87
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

are you really serious? I wear whatever looks good together, doesn't matter who designed it. what should it matter if it looks fine? I think clothing looks much better mixed and not looking perfectly matched.

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

um, that made no sense, sorry.

1. rebekahELLE profile image87
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it makes sense K~ talking about mixing clothing , it doesn't all have to be matching brands.

maybe she's referring to different logos showing~~ hmm
          the little dog looks adorable.

1. Stimp profile image60
            Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know, right?  He/she is cute.

2. Stimp profile image60

Now don't be hasty....look at the photo and just see how un-snobby dressing in all one label can look like lol

2. nikki1 profile image61
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as it matches or is color coordinated. Brand names has nothing to do with it. Knowing how to put colors together and add just the right jewelry and accessories together..

2. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

You are fortunate that you can afford to wear the same label from top to bottom to shoes to bags.  No one and I mean NO ONE I know can do that.  Congrats to you.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Anyway, being truly stylish is being able to combine clothes and accessories from different brands to create a unique look.  Check out any magazine and you'll see models and celebrities wearing a top from x, skirt from y and shoes from z.  That's what fashion is all about.

Feeling you have to buy everything from one range suggests either that you lack confidence in your own taste, or you have a touch of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).  It's not the norm, and it's not reasonable to force your husband to follow that rule.

Divamommyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreeing again i might not be right. I have never forced my husband to do anything. I have shared my opinion with him. Its really no different then having a hat to match your coat. Signature clothing with logos bold on shirts and jeans is what im talking about. Readers that are replying to the post have said they are not into logos clothing lines. So i don't think you are really understanding where Im coming from. Its kind off like my post on Video games. I like the hot trends. I do buy quality clothing. I dont not make or design clothing and have my own line. I will have to check into the OCD. Thanks for the heads up....But can i ask you a question? What is wrong with people that have Disorders?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of people have "disorders" - you might almost say they're a normal part of being a human being!  No one really knows how they arise:  it may be some influence or advice from childhood, or a bad experience.  For instance, my husband has a phobia about germs.  He attributes it to getting bad acne when he was a teenager - he became obsessed with the idea that if he could avoid germs, his acne would go away, and that obsession has continued into adult life.  Fortunately it's only a mild obsession!

3. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I'm with Stimp on this one. I've never known of anyone who could afford or even considered being able to wear all the same brand.  Does all K-mart count?

1. wyanjen profile image69
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I mix K-Mart with Meijer all the time.

Is that a faux-pas?

1. Stimp profile image60

Only if you are carrying a  Louis Vuitton bag

4. Itswritten profile image44
    Itswrittenposted 14 years ago

Wearing different clothing brands are up to the person who can afford to do so its not religion its your choice.

This is very true. I never ment to upset any one. But Im not a fake person and there is nothing fake about me. Now if you dont agree with me that is fine. I understand people that don't do labels. The posting was really to get an idea of why people who do where signature clothing with big label on them will mix them up. Like a baby phat shirt and a pair of seven jeans. I know and see plenty of people here in my city do it. It is a Choice for people that can afford it. Sorry

5. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

When I was younger and comparatively affluent, I used to buy the occasional designer item - but even then, I felt it was too extravagant to do the whole-top-to-toe designer thing.  Nowadays pretty well all my gear comes from charity shops - the only new stuff I buy is underwear!  (OK, that was probably too much information lol)

1. Stimp profile image60

High-paw me, kitty

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Consider it done

6. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I would sooner wear a whole set of clothes without logos.... logos are tacky and cheap, real designer clothes have no logos; give me cheap clothes over "look at me" any day. I think that the whole matching labels thing is stupid too, those specs in my photo.... they are D&G and cost me a bomb.... but I am wearing a tshirt which cost $5.... does that offend you?

7. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I won't wear anything that has someone's label on the outside of it (because I don't want to feel like I was duped into paying a lot of money to be a walking advertisement); but if I did, I don't think I'd want to wear more than one clothing item with it.  If there's one thing worse than being an ad for one designer, it's being an ad for more than one.  lol)  Two of the same designer's labels strike me as "being owned by" that one designer.  So I vote for, "If you have to wear one let that be it."

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this sentiment, I would make an exception if they sent me free clothes! Unfortunately I dont look like a model, and I am not famous, so thats just not going to happen; lol. I do know some male models though, one of them has worked for Armani, Boss, and Vivienne Westwood..... he gets to keep the clothes and stuff.... I have to admit to being a little jealous of his wardrobe. Well, and his bank balance too!

1. Lisa HW profile image60
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't want letters (or pictures) of any kind on me or my clothes.  lol  If I worked for a company that made designer clothes it would have to be on the terms, "I'll do good work here, but I'm still not wearing any letters or names on my clothes."  I don't even want my own initials on anything more than a key ring.  Good-quality or attractive clothes speak for themselves.  For some reason, I don't mind labels on handbags or umbrellas (probably the same reason I don't mind car manufacturers' names on cars).  smile

1. Stimp profile image60

Oh come on....you seriously don't want to don the picture of a "Mary Jane" plant on your back as you pick your children up from school?  I've never heard of such a thing...not wanting that lol

8. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

See I can match my clothing without looking at the labels, so I feel pretty good about myself. I don't really need Garanimals to help me with that.  Here's another gastly thing....I buy alot of stuff at the THRIFT STORE.  That's right, I said it...the thrift store.  AND guess what...there are so many top named brands, labels, whatever you want to call it WITH THE TAGS STILL ON THEM....so I get to dress like I'm rich but I'm not....sssshhhh don't tell anyone.  So, I'm thankful for the affluent's shopping trips, splurging, compulsive buying, binge shopping, and wastefulness because it allows me to buy a pair of DKNY dress pants WITH the tags still on them for my work for a mere $2.99.  So, keep on a shoppin'....I thank you for it.

9. Princessa profile image78
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

I think that in most cases wearing ONE designer from top to bottom just screams "show off" and a lack of personality and imagination.

You see plenty of these in the streets of Paris, mainly tourist just arrived from London wearing their Burberry  Trench coats with a Burberry tote bag, cardigan and jeans... sometimes even assorted to their Burberry children... frankly it looks awful!

1. ktps profile image60
      ktpsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think that if you were one brand too me your plain. in order to be extroadary you need to mix some things up a bit so you will stand out and you wont look like everyone else

2. profile image0

Are you sure that they are from London? Burberry sells less clothes in the UK then it does in most other countries.... 75% of Burberry clothes are sold to the Japanese! Burberry has a stigma attached to it in the UK after thugs and football hooligans began making it their uniform..... it has never recovered from that... The only non-fake Burberry that I ever see in this country is worn by international students from Asia... and I work in a town with a Burberry factory! Not saying that your wrong, just suprises me now...

1. Princessa profile image78
        Princessaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, about that.  NO I didn't mean that they are Londoners or even British.  Mostly they are tourist (sometimes Asians like you say) who are clearly doing their European tour and their previous stop was London.  They do the same with Louis Vuitton once they are in France sad

1. profile image0

Lol, well they have a bit more to choose from in France! More brands anyway! Chanel, Gaultier, Givenchy, Dior, YSL.... Paris are definitely the kings of fashion!

At least they are spending money I suppose, I guess that it keeps people in jobs in France and the UK! I currently live in a poor area, but most of the Burberry stuff is made here.... so good for the economy!

I once got stuck in Barcelona and worked my way back through France to London.... took me 2 days.... but the women all dressed fantastically!

3. Stimp profile image60

they do that here too (dress from head to toe in same design), in rural WI, this time of year.  Except it's not called Burberry, it's called camouflage clothing and the people wearing it are typically hidden in the woods with shotguns. lol

1. profile image0

lol  your killing me here  lol

2. Princessa profile image78

In that case they look exactly the same!

1. profile image0

Is that the same thing? I'm confused, so confused, Kim, just shut your eyes again.

3. Divamommy profile image60
      4. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ROLF - same here in your neighboring state! 

I don't do designer, unless you call what Kohl's sells actual designer lol  I'll keep buying at Target too, unless they put their logo of a "target" on the back pockets of jeans - smile

10. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

huh? yikes

1. Stimp profile image60

I know, right?  I was gonna call you in on this one, this a.m.

Reminiscent of the dudes wearing nail polish days.

1. profile image0

lol

1. profile image0

and acrylic not gel no less

1. Stimp profile image60

the HORROR of it All!!!!

11. profile image0

OK KIm, close your eyes again, your not in this forum, just close your eyes, whew

12. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

Now this is what I'm talkin' 'bout right here:

http://www.bushlancamo.com/images/bushgreen.jpg

1. profile image0

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

1. Stimp profile image60

I'll give anyone a big smile if they can tell me what this WOMAN is hunting for....Yes, I do know the answer, sadly enough, I do.

1. profile image0

a purse to match?

1. Stimp profile image60

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol  Underwear....and, yes, they DO make camo undies, swimwear, lingerie, you name it.  I have a pink t-shirt...I can't make this up....with camo script across it that says "Look Good Killin' it".  Killing What?  What, exactly am I killing?

1. profile image0

Looking good in the hunt while you shop lol

13. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

Now, again, a Diva's dream come true:

http://static.zoovy.com/img/pawstogo/W254-H227-Bffffff/puppy_purse_camouflage_pet_carrier.jpg

1. Stimp profile image60

The look on his face is priceless.....

2. profile image0

lol lol  now that rocks lol lol  Is it designer?

I Love it...lol

14. profile image0

wonder where she got that and if it's from the same designer all around cause headwear looks a little fake to me - kinda more funky than the rest hmmmmmmmm??????

1. Stimp profile image60

She got a fake!!  Gotta watch for that...they're out there.

2. profile image0

But kill bitch, I say kill and yes you look fantastic the photos will be magazine style, designer magazine that is.

1. Stimp profile image60

I think, once again, we've chased everyone away with our nonsense...."kill, bitch, kill....oh, wait let me fluff your tail first.  alright...now...go"

15. profile image0

OMG roll

16. Divamommy profile image60
    Divamommyposted 14 years ago

I dont know that i agree on a lack of personality and imagination. Why cant a person just like to be trendy and in style.

1. Princessa profile image78

You don't need to agree with me, but I see it as lack of imagination because you would be wearing all the attire straight out from a dummy in a shop rather than creating your own attire according to your personality. 

I see fashion as a way to express myself, no as advertising a brand (unless I am being paid for it wink) For me, style is not in the brand or the designer I am wearing, for me the style is in ME.  It's me who makes an outfit look good or not.

Now this funny... Because you don't agree with someone does not give anyone a right to say what they lack with out knowing them. Besides that is only an opinion and not a fact. Because they may have different views. I wonder if this would have anything to do with a lack of personality and imagination.

17. profile image0

OMG to thread or not to thread roll

lol

18. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

I know two designer brands:

- "Suits me perfectly" - love that one; and
    - "doesn't look good on me".

I try to never mix them...

19. profile image0

OMG this again? Thought we killed this 3 x already

20. GarfieldGates profile image79
    GarfieldGatesposted 14 years ago

meh. I do it all the time...

21. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

I can honestly say I've never even thought about it, and it amazes me that anyone has.

1. abbyfam profile image54
      abbyfamposted 14 years ago

YAHA  no problem

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)