jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Is 'good' jewelry worth the investment? Or would you prefer spending money in an

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 years ago

Is 'good' jewelry worth the investment? Or would you prefer spending money in another way?

Will expensive jewelry be important to you years from now? If not, what would you do with the money?

2. Cammy Walters profile image80
    Cammy Waltersposted 2 years ago

If you are looking for something to invest in, I do not believe that jewelry is a viable investment strategy.  However, if you want pieces that you will hand down to future generations for sentimental value, does it really matter how much you spent for it?  Just my thoughts on your questions.  Thanks for asking.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image94
    Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago

I think it is worth the investment to buy something that has been finely crafted, uses good long-lasting material, and has a design that is pleasing to you. 

However, I don't think that means that it has to be expensive. I'm afraid one day that people will decide gold is out of style and therefore no longer valuable. Then all of the gold jewelry will drop drastically in price and all those people who bought it as an investment will be very upset.

I don't buy gold (or anything else) for something that can be handed down the generations.  I think it is better to spend the money on memories instead of things - living life thoroughly while you are here.

4. bravewarrior profile image94
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

I don't see jewelry as an investment, rather an expression of love or appreciation. I have pieces I cherish because of who gave them to me. They hold sentimental value. To me, that's priceless.

5. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

I like to buy inexpensive "good" pieces, especially if they are something that can easily fall off and get lost like a gold pendant or earrings. Years ago I discovered a pair of gold and onyx earrings on sale for the same price as gold-plated earrings at an upscale department store. I bought them and after a couple of years, the button-style went out of style, and they've been in the jewelry box unworn for the last 15 or more years. Post earrings are starting to come back in style, so maybe I can be stylish in them again. So because jewelry follows trends, I prefer to buy costume jewelry that just looks expensive.
    I have a few good pieces my husband has bought me, like my wedding set, a Ceylon sapphire and diamond birthstone ring, and recently he got me a blue diamond anniversary band, three diamonds with 1 ct. total weight, but I consider these rings special. I also have some Native American silver and turquoise pieces that I cherish.
    Also, have you priced insurance on good jewelry? At first I insured my wedding set, but I discovered that at $1,000 per year, 10 years' insurance would replace the set. I've now put it away and don't wear it.

6. MonkeyShine75 profile image76
    MonkeyShine75posted 2 years ago

I would spend my money another way.
    I can buy some nice looking Jewelry that's cheap, and I can actually wear it instead of putting it in a safe.
    Expensive Jewelry is more of a worry than anything. If you wear it, you could lose it or get it stolen, so what's the fun in that?

1. MizBejabbers profile image91
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You are so right. That's why I put away my wedding set. Today a nice gold-plated or silver-plated piece will pass for "solid" gold or silver jewelry. Old zirconias may pass for diamonds, but the newer ones are cloudy and don't have the clarity.

2. MonkeyShine75 profile image76
      MonkeyShine75posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you MizBejabbers

working