jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Does brand make a difference for memory cards?

1. randomcreative profile image92
    randomcreativeposted 5 years ago

Does brand make a difference for memory cards?

I've heard varying opinions about different memory card brands and am wondering if there's any truth to it.

2. Sheepsquatch profile image65
    Sheepsquatchposted 5 years ago

It is better to go with well known brands. I have bought memory cards that were generic or no-name, and have always been disappointed. They were generally a quarter of the price but either didn't last long or had software compatibility issues.

randomcreativeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip!  Are there any well known brands that you recommend?

3. kschang profile image89
    kschangposted 5 years ago

Sort of.

The biggest brands like Sandisk are expensive, but there are secondary brands like Kingston, Patriot, PNY, and so on that are good quality but still good price.

There are also tertiary brands like Adata, Trancend, and so on.

The danger is buying really off-brand memory they can be faked. Like a 2GB card "faked" into a 16 GB card. Those are often found on eBay and such. Add a fake label and you can't tell the difference unless you open the package and test it.

Buy from a reputable dealer, like Meritline, Newegg, and so on. So you don't get fakes. Generally, SD cards are about 1 dollar per GB, could be lower if slower memory (class 2 or 4)  or very large size, like 8 to 16 GB. flash drives may be even cheaper.

randomcreativeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  I have heard a lot of good things about Trancend.  Thanks for the tips about fakes.  We have some reward money at Best Buy right now so I will most likely be purchasing my next card there.

working