jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

How do you feel about using cell phones in restaurants?

1. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 3 years ago

How do you feel about using cell phones in restaurants?

As long as the person you're eating with is okay with it, I don't see how it's different from talking to someone next to you, as in it's none of a stranger's business!

2. WiccanSage profile image94
    WiccanSageposted 3 years ago

For me the issue is not the phone; the issue is how loud you are. If you can talk in a normal voice on the phone then I don't care where you do it in public.

Seems that people on cell phones in restaurants draw negative attention because they have to be loud to be heard over atmospheric noise. If you're loud enough to draw that much attention from all the tables that everyone in the surrounding area knows you're on the phone, then you must be pretty disruptive.

I just think it's rude to be that loud. People are spending money (perhaps saved up for a nice special lunch with someone or whatever) or they just want to relax on their break. It's rude to be disruptive. If you can talk without being loud & disruptive then I don't see why it's a problem.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I don't think it's anyone else's business except those you are there with. My opinion though is if I'm going out to eat with someone it's because I want to enjoy some time with them. Unless it's an emergency phone call, I think it's rude for the person to be talking on their cell phone.

1. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

4. Hackslap profile image86
    Hackslapposted 3 years ago

I got no issues with it ..but yeah keep it down especially in classy places like high-end restaurants where a certain level of 'decorum' is expected ... your call on your phone is a private conversation so yes it shouldn't be anyone else's business anyway ...

5. jaydawg808 profile image89
    jaydawg808posted 3 years ago

I certainly agree with one poster. It's not the phone itself. It's the volume of how loud the person is talking. That's the biggest pet peeve of mine.

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 years ago

I think first and foremost it is rude to the other people at your table who you are supposedly there to spend time with.  But your conversation is usually overheard by everyone around you because people instinctively project their voice when speaking into a telephone.

7. Penny G profile image69
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

I say go outside or in a hallway It is so annoying to be around someone doing this and having to listen to their conversation. If you are with someone and the are talking real loud the dirty looks and remarks are embarrassing .

working