Creating your own site

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 12 years ago

Does anyone know how to create their own web page? Is there a site that isn't that expensive that is good to use to create one? Because I am really serious about creating my own but I don't know how.

1. earnestshub profile image82
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Julie you are going to get a ton of advice, and my advice is to get someone who knows how to do it for you. smile

Julie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, true.

1. ccdursina profile image68
          ccdursinaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could try Homestead - this is what I use, and hosting with Godaddy is fine, maybe the less expensive out there!
          And yet it depends on what kind of a page you need/want!

Email me if need - I designed my page.

2. profile image53
      ForYourInfoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why do not you search in Google? Use different keyword & you will get that.

I have done this but I want to get advice from someone that has actually used someone's services/company that is legit. You can read anything online claiming to be the best and it can be a scam.

3. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
      DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, if you lived near Miami, I'd say hire my friend Scott at ipanemic.com, because he is awesome at webdesign, plus a fabulous photographer (some not safe for work!).  I'm working on this myself and the consensus from everyone I've talked to is Wordpress.

I will check this out. Thank you DIY.

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Julie, all you have to do is get a webhosting that provides one-
      click wordpress installation.

Once you have installed the wordpress which actually takes a few simple clicks and chosen the right layout for your site, the rest is pretty much like hubbing.

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
        Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Finding the right theme is the problem. I'm not sure where to go on that front yet. I really need to get it sorted out. I'm close to getting one that was recommended to me, but I'm just not sure yet.

1. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mikey, you do realize that all themes are free (that come with WP anyway, there are hundreds) and you can have as many downloaded for your site as you wish, and chop and change when you want?

Some people buy themes but there are plenty of great free ones.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just start with the default theme - content is more important.  Try Googling for "[your keyword] free Wordpress themes" and see what comes up.

You can pay for themes like Genesis or Thesis, but as a newbie I wouldn't bother.  "Framework" style themes are good for experienced webmasters, but they have a learning curve of their own.  You'll have enough on your plate just learning Wordpress, without tackling that!

2. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

all you do . . . . . the rest is pretty much like hubbing  . . . . after the two weeks frustration and tears of wrestling wordpress to the ground at which point is does become relatively easy !  I can now knock out a fully functioning multi-page stuff filled website in about two hours - but you have to do the pain thing first.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
          DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pain is part of life, Grasshopper!

Thank you Sensei... smile

2. Julie2 profile image60

tongue are you serious?! yikes recommend1
          Ok Ok, will do... sob sob

1. recommend1 profile image59
            recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you don't do it yourself you will be at the mercy of every little thing that goes wrong and the guy who you have to call - who can fix it in half a second but harges you an hour of time.  And usually it is to fix a problem that he caused in the first place !!!   Do I sound a little cynical?  perhaps I have been there.

It is well worth the effort of starting up - and the help guides can be followed when you have learned first hwo to use them and understood some of the things that go without saying - so they don't say it - Which can be pretty frustrating !

AHAHA, I can only imagine but you are so right.

3. Julie2 profile image60

NO WAY Ultimate Hubber, that is cool! I am excited to check this out.

5. Cheeky Girl profile image66
      Cheeky Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hy. I am a creator of my own website which also has a blog on it. It was free on Weebly.com and it never let me down, and is very reliable. I now have a second website, and I have bought for a few measly bucks a few more domain names of websites I am going to develop. WordPress and Blogger are also amazing. You can get a blog on Blogger for about a tenner if you register it with your own name, but still free to host on anyway.

Feel free to check out my website, it's all my own work. But just have fun writing what you want to write, you have more freedom with a website. Cheers!

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am trying out weebly, as it looks easy to use. I read that not all pages get indexed.  Did you have any problems with getting traffic?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just found this Hub, complaining about that exact problem.  I notice that at the end, he posted an update to say the problem is fixed.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Weebly-is-Flawed

1. profile image0

oh, good.   I saw a few articles with this complaint, and noticed they were from a few years ago, but I've seen other people saying they love Weebly

6. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

2. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

Use wordpress for a website and get someone to teach you how to use it. Period.

Thanks Bill, I'll see if they have a book for dummies on this at Barnes & Noble. They have them on everything.

1. Haunty profile image73
        Hauntyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I kind of like Packt Publishing. They have some nice hands-on stuff on Wordpress. I mean books.

3. WoodsmensPost profile image61
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

Go Daddy website tonight is a good learner

I thought that you were only able to buy the web address, I didn't know they offered more services. Will check them out too. Thank you WoodsmenPost

4. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

I use WordPress for my sites and highly recommend it.  It's very user friendly once you find your way around.  Spend a day playing around with it and you'll fall in love.  I use Bluehost for hosting but I know many others recommend Hostgator, I think they're both great options.  Good luck!

what do you mean by hosting? I don't know...sad

1. Bill Manning profile image68
        Bill Manningposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you want to really, really own your very own site, you need to get a hosting package from a hosting company. Then you upload your wordpress software to the domain name you bought and put on your host.

Think of hosting as a mall. You buy a spot in the mall for your store, or site, see?

Hey BaileyBear, thanks. It wasn't because of the traffic here. I don't even pay attention to that anymore. I want to create my own space on the web to sell my paintings and other things I've created. tongue

@Marisa, Thanks for linking that page I will read it ASAP. smile

@Bill and Ultimate Hubber, thank you both for explaining this to me. I really did not know. I feel better now. smile

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
            theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh good...I'm glad you got an explanation on this.  Sorry I didn't check back sooner!  smile

Don't worry about it tongue

2. profile image0

I set up an ecommerce site for hubby using Webstarts - a drag & drop webstie builder that has ecommerce option. 
            http://www.webstarts.com/?aff=RockyRocket

I have no experience with code etc.  Was quite easy to do.  More flexibility than Weebly, as can layer objects & place them exactly where you want them.  (I am trying out Weebly for an educational website).  We have pro package with Webstarts, which was half price for around $7 per month

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
        Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Like THH, I also use Bluehost and they provide one-click wordpress install.

A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their own website accessible via the World Wide Web. Web hosts are companies that provide space on a server they own or lease for use by their clients as well as providing Internet connectivity, typically in a data center.(wikipedia)

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

In comparison to your other options, GoDaddy is a terrible recommendation.

Avoid Hosting with GoDaddy, Using GD for domain buys is cool though, they rarely muck that up.

Oh ok, thanks smile

6. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 12 years ago

You could do it for as cheaply as about $3.99 per month +/- a couple fees.

Find a good webhost - http://hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-the-Best-Web-Host
    ----------Blue Host and Hostgator are the most popular.
    Both have cPanel, which include Fantastico (a utility to quickly install/setup various PHP scripts and databases).
    Use Wordpress (it's free). Tons of free themes and plugins too.

And voila! You have your own site.

Now start adding content.

WOW, that sounds pretty easy. I am so afraid of trying to do it and F'ing it up. smile
      I just have to get over the fear I guess. Thanks for letting me know tritrain.

7. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

DO NOT use GoDaddy website tonight.

my suggestion is godaddy on domains, Hostgator on hosting, use the auto wordpress installer and choose a template from there.

8. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 12 years ago

Hi Julie!

A blog is different from a standard website. Which is why Wordpress and Blogger are limited in what they offer.

There is an outstanding company called Square Space that offers excellent hosting of the domain name, full easy to use controls and thousands of styles + themes to choose from.

As a professional web programmer and designer, SquareSpace tops the charts above WordPress, Blogger, WebPros, abc4pc, etc --even Joomla and Drupal ( which are, presently, the leading Content Management Systems ). Check out their rate options. I helped someone with an import and redesign using their templates. IMO Prime Rib v Applebees Select Steak.

Else, drop me an email and I'll help you out.
    smile

James.

Thank you so much for the feedback, I will definitely look into this. I will email you after I check this place out. Thanks again.

2. Julie2 profile image60

I also heard of InMotion

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think it can be good to start out with a free blog to try things out before making a monetary commitment.

I already have a blog. I want to create a site to sell my paintings and other things. Would I be able to do that from a blog? I would also have to see if I would be able to add a link to paypal for purchases that are made. AHHH yikes

1. transinata profile image62
        transinataposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, of course you can. It just simply add link on your product to your paypal, so when someone click it, it will redirect to paypal for purchasing.
        You need an experience programmer to do that.
        What kind of blog have you used ? blogspot ? weebly ?

Thank you transinata, I used blogger. Only wrote on it once! LOL big_smile

10. profile image57
    FStevensposted 12 years ago

Wordpress or Weebly are both very simple platforms that don't cost much to host!  The advantage of wordpress is that there is a multitude of instruction on the web that you can use to implement any changes you require.

11. Garrett Mickley profile image79
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

I buy my domains through GoDaddy, but GoDaddy has TERRIBLE hosting so I use HostGator for hosting, I think I pay $7 a month for. Domains are about $10 a year.  On my hosting, I use Wordpress (Hostgator offers an easy installer for Wordpress along with many other platforms), which is simple and straight forward.

1. profile image51
      yellowkaviyaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What type of business do you start?Small or large
      If you build a website for small medium of business,Website template is enough.Most of providers have predesigned professional web templates.So no need any external effort to build a website.Just buy one web template from any one of the service provider and edit your own contents easily.If you build a website for large medium of business.You should keep some of the instructions.Here i list out some steps to build a successful website.
      1.Domain name registration
      2.Hosting
      3.Build your website(It includes designing a web page, Coding , editing and adding all necessary contents to a website.
      4.Finally publish your website.
      Through the online service provider you can get all the above services.Nowadays there are lot of service providers available.I would suggest http://www.tucktail.com/  Recently i launched one website with a help of this provider.I like their services.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)