Don't spam my mail.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

I do not wish to get any more spam e-mails from hubbers, so please don't send me links and stuff. Thanks.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you referring to hubpages sending out updates or to specific emails from particular hubbers?

To stop both you can go to your profile and click "Edit Profile." You can turn off notifications from hubpages, and you can also turn off the ability for other hubbers to contact you.

2. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Has this been a particular problem today? I ask because some email virus has emailed all my contacts today (just trying to sort it out now). A few on my contacts list are hubbers, so it's possible that the virus is doing the rounds.

1. Sufidreamer profile image81
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I received such a mail from another Hubber - it looks like it went out to their entire contact list. The link was for a health shop or something.

1. travelespresso profile image67
          travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too Sufidreamer and it sounds like the same spam.  I've been getting them for the past three days.  Always the same link!

2. Susana S profile image92

I didn't open the email but the subject line was just "RE:      "

It's a nasty virus - I think it's backdoor.bot which does several horrible things including collecting the info you type, so that it can discover your passwords, banks details etc. 

From what I'm reading it can be hard to get rid of too. Do a scan!

1. profile image0
            DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sheesh!! Im really glad I didnt get this message. yikes.

1. Misha profile image65
              Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I swear I did not spam you tongue

1. profile image0

YOU can, I dont mind.

1. Misha profile image65
                  Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your kind permission, I will certainly make a use of it wink

2. Pcunix profile image93
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just because somebody says they got spam/virus email from you does NOT mean the email actually came from your machine.   It just as easily could have come from anyone who has your email in THEIR address book.

I can send email right now that appears to come from any person at all.   Any virus program can do the same thing and they often do exactly that

Of course you should check your machine.  I recommend Microsoft's free Security Essentials right now (but if you are reading this much after August 2010 I could very well be recommending something else).

Another clue is to have the person who received the email send you the header information.   That will often show the clues that would tend to exonerate your machine. 

(Every email client has some option like "Show Original" or Show Headers" that will show you everything.)

For example, it is quite common nowadays for your ISP to not allow outgoing mail to go out through anything but their SMTP server (that's what you have set as your "Outgoing SMTP Server" in mail). 

If the last line of the "Received" headers said "Received: from [127.0.0.1] by dazzler.dsl.net" and you connect through some other isp (not dazzler.net) that requires use of their servers, that email absolutely did not come from you.

1. Susana S profile image92

I appreciate the reply pcunix though that's all a bit technical for me tongue All I know is that an email went out from my hotmail account to all my contacts and when I did a scan with malwarebytes there were several infections to take care of.

I understand what you are saying though, it wouldn't necessarily be a virus in my PC that sent the email, but something remote. smile

1. Pcunix profile image93

Just a FYI:

I and other people I know have seen Microsoft Security Essentials find things that Malware Bytes did not.

I'll give it a try and see if it does pick up any more sh*t smile

2. Haunty profile image72
              Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How on earth, PCunix? One would think you are running something unix-based. wink

1. Pcunix profile image93

I use Macs myself,  but I have customers who do not :-)

3. profile image0

sorry.  wink

Ha ha big_smile I know what you mean, but I'm not talking about that one. smile

1. profile image0

Hows life outside of spam?

Life is a stained-glass window - full of light and colors. wink

2. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

No, it's not Hubpages sending, but individual hubbers that have my email address.

And I too got a virus alert and several other spam mails from hubbers today. Not via Hubpages.

No not via hubpages. If this is related to the same virus I have, it automatically emails everyone in your contact list within your email account. For many of us our contact lists will include other hubbers.

3. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

I will get in touch with the Hubber in question later and give a heads up, if someone hasn't already.

Have to shut the laptop down for a while now as the heat is affecting it sad

Haunty: That sounds like the one - it seems to be a virus that is sending itself to everybody in the Hubber's contact list. I will send you a PM through Hubpages now, because I have a feeling that it will derive from the same source. Anyway, must give the laptop a break smile

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sufi, I'm having the same problem here. Yesterday I moved the freestanding room fan right over so that it is pointing at the air outlet point on the laptop and its not overheated since (the rest of us have though!)
      Oh and the laptop is on a flat surface with its four 'feet' sitting on top of this little disposable Danone glass jars for air circulaton.

1. Sufidreamer profile image81
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Danone lids is a great idea! I have been using books.

I am housesitting for a friend on the coast, but it is very hot and very humidn down here - my laptop is used to the cooler, mountain air. I tried the freestanding fan and a desk fan, but to no avail - it still struggled. I may have to start working through the night until the heatwave passes smile

@Daniel: I suspect that the Hubber involved knows nothing about it - it is probably some software sitting on the computer. I am just about to contact the Hubber concerned, although I am not techie enough to know what to do outside a virus and spyware scan.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh. The plot thickens. It's just sinister the way we become a toy to spammers and scammers. Glad you saw that, I would only have suspected it was the hubber. But I suppose I should have seen that having my email pirated a year and a half ago, and then talking with the FBI about the whole thing. My ears are still ringing from all that. My friend was scammed out of $2000, and learned a lot of hard lessons. But that hub is my most viewed hub of all.

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Since the emails are coming from specific hubbers, can't they be reported to hubpages?

5. Pcunix profile image93
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Perhaps an example will make the above post more clear.

I use Verizon.  Verizon will not allow mail to be sent out from my machine unless it goes through "outgoing.verizon.net"

If you got an email supposedly from me  it would HAVE to show outgoing.verizon.net in the headers or it could not have come from my machine.

(Though I usually use Gmail, so anything you got would most normally show that it went through one of their servers first.  )

6. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

I have received the same email three times from one hubber.

I do not believe this hubber would send out spam.  What I thought was that the hubber had signed up to a site to make money.

I figured when they signed up the site asked access to the hubber's email account to send out a notice to their friends.  Thus the several notices.  I just deleted them.

1. travelespresso profile image67
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those are my thoughts too AF.  I don't believe the hubber would knowingly do this!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)