PC freezes and says "not responding"

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

Often after trying to open Outlook or Explorer; often on net.  Sometimes freezes without warning (can't do anything).  Sometimes crashes completely and get the blue screen.

what is wrong with my computer?  Is HP with Vista, 3 years old.

Is it bugs in incompatible software, like some people say? What kinds of things are incompatible?

Do we try reinstalling our OS and Office (or is that a major?). 

Husband frequently wants to toss the computer out the window!

Any help/advice appreciated (as long as not too technical!)

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

forgot to mention that a error message comes up quite frequently - something about spybot detecting an important something-or-rather that has been changed - deny change/allow change - no idea what that means

2. profile image0
      khmohsinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have a virus in your computer. It is symbol of virus. The performance of a windows slow down after a certain passage of time, because in very start there's no chance of virus, but with the passage of time and according to the usage, computer may get infected with malwares, worms or viruses.
      Those things cause to slow down and finally computer is unable to handle the process, that is why it shows that You Application is not responding.. Close it or wait....
      Best thing is to try any top rated anti-virus and update it on regular basis, then you could be able to fix your computer properly.
      hope this gonna work

3. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoa! That's more than mine does, My pc doesn't say a word! smile

1. profile image0
        khmohsinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

4. profile image49
      SofiaBrownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The cause of the freezing, or locking up, of your computer, is due to some either corrupted or missing files. And more specifically, missing or corrupted registry files. These are the files which tell everything on your how it is suppose to work. Basically, they are configuration files. And if these files get corrupted, or messed up, it can wreck havoc.

Sometimes the registry files end up missing. This can happen when you uninstall software from your computer. The software being uninstalled may remove registry files also associated with another program. There should be a message asking you whether or not you want to delete the files as they are associated with another program. Your best bet is to say NO to this and leave the files. If the files end up missing, then the program which needs them will stall, hang, or freeze the next time it tries to run. But there is a simple way to fix this.

By just running registry scan software on your computer, you can find these problems and fix them right away. It will let you know which files are bad, and will fix them to its original state. And it is this simple step which will show you how to fix your computer freezing.

5. profile image52
      Eudorawhiteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is good to clean your registry to make your computer function smoothly. It may not be an easy task but you are fortunate to have the solution. There are a number of convenient ways to clean the registry. This will help you solve the problem easily. It is not easy to clean the dirt in your registry and you can ask an expert to help. Do not try to clean the registry on your own to avoid causing more problems to the system. You can enjoy using a clean computer. The registry cleaning software is a solution to a computer that keeps freezing.

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Have you:

deleted all your temporary internet files
    de-fragmented your hard drive
    downloaded all the updates available
    deleted any software programmes that you don't need?

If you haven't, give it a go and it may help.  I was having a similar problem with IE freezing and crashing the whole laptop, that has improved since I de-fragged

Also have you scanned to see if you have picked up a virus?

3. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

sounds like you either need to do housekeeping (run scan that empties temp. internet files and cookies and history) and defrag. or you need to get a program like adaware-se which you can get for free at downloads.com  and this software will get rid of all the spyware that could be clogging up your memory.  I was shocked the first time I ran mine, for I had over 1600 spyware programs running in my computer without me knowing.

4. joaniemb profile image61
    joaniembposted 13 years ago

I agree with everyone above. I had trouble with IE, computer freezing. I cleaned the temp files, cookies and history. I still had trouble then I downloaded firefox and my computer ran like new. Good luck hope this helps.

1. profile image0

hubby says he runs a program called CCleaner each week which is supposed to do the defrag and cleanup?  Have Norton antivirus.
      Noticed things were worse when we used Farmtown on Facebook (something to do with Flash?) and also when I used WinZip or something similar to open pdf files from work

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you checked to see the fan is clear of dust?
        Farmland thrashes your CPI and causes some computers to overheat if the fan is working too hard. All sorts of errors then total failure.

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I have HP with Vista, and it always fixes itself; so if your husband thinking Vista means it "has" to have problems, that's not necessarily true at all.  Just last night I had a thing with Adobe updating and causing the machine to be unresponsive.  I panicked, but after it was on for awhile it fixed itself.  Normally, nothing happens to it anyway.  I have maintenance scheduled and usually update.  This time, I had dragged my feet on updating Adobe. 

My point is I love my PC.  I'm not the "technical type", so the fact that is takes care of itself is great.  Vista's been out long enough that I don't run into compatibility problems with software.  Sometimes you have to make sure you click on the right OS.  These days, it seems like most software if compatible without having to click "for Vista".  (Doesn't it "check for problems"?  If you can get it running enough to go to the control panel and go to System and Maintenance you should be able to go to Problems and Solutions or Problem Reports and Solutions, and first see what's there.   You can also go to System (still in that System and Maintenance window) and check your Window's Index base score.  That will show you a few things that might be tip-offs to how you can improve your system's performance.  (Of course, do the stuff other people have said to do first - then look and see what you get in those places I mentioned.)

If you've replaced old anti-virus software with new and/or different ones, and if you didn't completely remove the old ones, that can throw things off.  So can it throw things off if you didn't notice that if you don't "uncheck" McAfee with an Adobe update, you end up getting McAfee installed (which can throw things off too).  If you're uninstalling any programs don't do it from the window that says "Ad/Remove programs" (if at all possible).  Instead, go to "Programs", find the one you want to remove it, expand it if you have to, right click on it, and see if there's an "Uninstall" to click on.  Doing it the other way can leave "bits and pieces" behind and sometimes throw things off.  Think about going through your whole list of programs, considering if any can go, and trying to remove them that way first.   

Also, make sure you check for any available updates in that System and Maintenance window.   Some will say they're important.  Others will say recommended - that type of thing.  Go for the important ones first, because if you have several to do it can take a little time.

(Unsolicited tip:  If your husband is "that type" maybe tell him to stay away  from the computer, and you deal what there is to be dealt with.  The window-throwing-out type usually doesn't go well with effectively sorting these things out.    smile  )   (Mine is about three years old too, by the way.)

1. profile image0

theres a shortcut to avg on our desktop (which I've heard clashes with Norton), but hubby said he uninstalled the avg.  Why would the icon still be there?

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Baileybear, I know this reply is 2 weeks late.  I must have "disappeared" before seeing it last  time.,  Anyway, just in case you're at all still interested..

Ask your husband if he uninstalled it by going to add/remove programs, or if he found it in the list of programs, right-clicked, and uninstalled that way.  (That can be the most complete way.)  If software isn't completely removed (every little "bit and piece - files-wise") you'll still see it in places. 

You could do a search of your whole computer (C drive) if  you have any idea what the files may be named (in this case, look for AVG).  If they're left behind they will show up and where they are will show up too.  I once had some anti-virus bits and and pieces left behind and had to find them in Windows/System32, go in as an administrator, and remove them that way. 
        Click that if you do.

Usually, uninstalling will get rid of shortcuts; but if, by any chance, there were extra shortcuts created and move; I suppose it's feasible that one could have been left behind.   If the shortcut is there it does sound like there wasn't a complete "uninstall", though.  (Which is why it may be good to do that search and see what else may be left behind.)

2. profile image0

It does seem to be Adobe stuff it doesn't like much

3. profile image0

have been doing the defrag etc (takes ages).  Also using a shorter cord to phone jack since moved house (maybe problem with using longer one?) and already computer is behaving much better

6. Csanad profile image71
    Csanadposted 13 years ago

I wrote a quick hub on how to solve it.
    Please visit it at:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Fix-Unre … r-Computer

1. profile image0

yes, hubby has the CCleaner, but will need to check the settings

7. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 13 years ago

uh-oh, an HP and the OS is Vista. not my preferences although I like HP design and printers but hear about many breakdowns\freezes and such. Always keep back-ups and reinstall windows if you can. Or better yet, upgrade to Windows 7 after all that.

best of luck

1. profile image0

Is upgrading to Win7 straight forward?  Is it like starting again, or does it keep our files like bookmarks in Explorer and emails in Outlook.  Or does everything need to be set up again?

1. 17inchlaptop profile image41
        17inchlaptopposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never recommend upgrading Microsoft operating system unless you are buying a new computer. All software issues can be fixed by, well, fixing software.

8. richardmacarthy profile image59
    richardmacarthyposted 13 years ago

Baileybear,

Upgrading is not recommended.  I would recommend a full wipe and re-installation of windows.

You can backup your outlook .pst file and and any other files on a usb stick, or external hard drive....as well as any other files you need (Drivers for hardware etc..).

Then you can re-install windows, and restore your stuff.

This is the best method, but you need to know what you are doing a little.

9. triosol profile image60
    triosolposted 13 years ago

You should clean temp files, cookies and history and  you will be fine.

10. Savva Pelou profile image60
    Savva Pelouposted 12 years ago

what we must all realise is that when our computers get the blue screen of death, its not because our machine is dieing, but because our machine is trying to protect itself.  The easiest thing to do is to try and restore your computer back to a point in time where it worked using "system restore"

11. howlermunkey profile image73
    howlermunkeyposted 11 years ago

You most likely have malware. Get Malwarebytes. Try to install (if it allows you) and update it. Then restart your PC in safe mode (hit the F8 key on bootup)and run a full malwarebytes scan.

You can also open task manager (ctrl+alt+delete), and look at the running processes, make sure you select "show processes from all users" in the bottom left. See anything running high (30-90 percent?) -- thats your problem. You most likely have a process that's taking all of your cpu resources. Could be a spambot, could be anything.

The very best thing to do in this situation would be to pull the hard drive out, hook it up as usb device and scan from another computer.If you have a malware infection  that will only get worse.

Malwarebytes first, in safe mode. Then run ccleaner. Please feel free to hit me up if you have questions  howlermunkey@ymail.com.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

I did same with Dell, Vista and IE.  I also went to Computer- c disk and program files. I deleted every file that I knew should not be in computer. Here you will find folders, etc of programs that you uninstalled but are still in your computer.  Don't touch any program that you are not sure of.  I also went to AVG for Internet security. I now use Google chrome which works well now, and Firefox.  I have no problems until I use IE.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)