Mac or PC? Which one is better?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (30 posts)
  1. cjcarter profile image73
    cjcarterposted 13 years ago

Mac or PC? Which one is better?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

I've had several PC's and I bought an iMac about 18 months ago and it is head and shoulders above any PC I've owned.  Every update, every software installation has been seamless.  I'm really pleased and will never go back.

3. WindMaestro profile image58
    WindMaestroposted 13 years ago

Well granted, each system has its own advantages and disadvantages. Mac is pricier, and more about label, but offers extensive and very able components, including great video and audio programs, plus a very organized and intellectual user interface and file system. Apple Inc has a great ability in linking all of its software and implements together, i.e iPad, iPod, Mac. PC's are a different story on the other hand. While Macs are great in connecting with each other, they are outnumbered and are not as compatible with other computers, such as PCs. With a PC you can download and transfer any type of file or program with very capable ease. And more expensive gaming PCs are unparalleled in their ability to provide an enjoyable user experience. So what I am saying is this. I believe that Macs are generally better than PCs, for their smart user interface and ease of maneuverability around the machine. However, if you are a techie, like myself, I find PCs to be more adaptable to separate conditions, and I can alter my PC any which way I want, (plus the ability to admin and hack are much easier with PC) whilst with a Mac, it is harder to shape your computer the way that you want it to. So, Mac: easier and better with factory condition PC: ability to transition it any way you want.

4. gijay profile image72
    gijayposted 13 years ago

Well, not to get caught up in the PC/MAC debate but here we go...

To be honest, for the normal user, the mom who wants to just surf the internet, read funny emails, download some music, then it doesn't really matter.  Each have their strong points and their short comings.  It just depends on what you want to do with it.

To sum it all up....the choice is yours, but for the average user, stick to a PC.  It may not be a flashy sports car, but the minivan will take you and all your stuff to the hockey game.

5. Cloverleaf profile image95
    Cloverleafposted 13 years ago

Great question!  Mac all the way.  It's great not having to wait half an hour for the thing to boot up.

6. firerie profile image59
    firerieposted 13 years ago

Mac. With Bootcamp you can have a PC on your Mac. No viruses or other maliciousness that is a constant concern when owning a PC; and my Mac has never crashed. They're practically indestructible too, good for clumsy laptop owners and airport traveling.

7. Mel Jay profile image71
    Mel Jayposted 13 years ago

Just got my first Mac and I'm never going back!

8. Vinodkpillai profile image71
    Vinodkpillaiposted 13 years ago

I would say Mac.

I used PCs for nearly 16 years before deciding three years ago to try out a Macbook. I wasn't too sure about the decision so I made a partition and installed Windows on one partition so that I had a Mac and a PC. Initially I kept  going back to the Windows partition out of sheer habit, but slowly as I familiarised myself with the available Apple software that came with my Macbook and found other compatible software to replace my windows applications, I found that I was most of the time with the Mac partition. I haven't used the windows partition for over a year now and can do without it

So based on this experience and all the other usual reasons like, convenience and being virus-free, great online support and fantastic applications, I would say definitely Mac.

9. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 13 years ago

Here is what I do for choices.

I will go for Mac when I am thinking of using it for graphic or music. It is great for doing superb graphic presentation as well as entertain by the nice music.

For others, I go for PC. It has lots of stuff for games, software, etc. Mac is more specialize for graphic presentation and entertainment in music.

10. napzanata profile image60
    napzanataposted 13 years ago

MAC obs !! even tho i don't own one out of the World but i run using my VMware Thanks to Vmware !!

11. wholesaletoys profile image60
    wholesaletoysposted 13 years ago

Both have their good and bad sides.  First, Macs are expensive.  I have a  business in the Philppines and I sure can afford to have all my employees use a Mac.  PCs are great for grunt work. 

One thing I really like about a Mac is it is constantly upgrading and your not always reformatting your computer because of viruses.  On the other hand, there seems to be much for software for PCs than for Macs.

12. seoever profile image61
    seoeverposted 13 years ago

for me its my mac .none can match it man, its heavy duty.

13. james_foreclosure profile image52
    james_foreclosureposted 13 years ago

I'd say MAC - I have both and just find it easier to navigate and use things.

14. profile image0
    digijoltposted 13 years ago

Such a controversial topic!

I choose PC because it is in the majority for the business world... Ever try to install a piece of software on the Mac only to find that the software you want to use doesn't come in a Mac-compatible version? Well, I have... it makes it a bit difficult in some cases to function in the business world. Things are getting better though, they have Mac MS Word which will allow greater compatibility between platforms, but we still see some errors that crop up every few days or so...

Oh, and in case you are wondering, my PC takes 22 seconds to load and "come up" from power button to desktop. wink

15. lukecore profile image83
    lukecoreposted 13 years ago

It depends what you want to do with it! If you just want to browse and listen to music then a cheap netbook with Windows or even Linux is the way forward. If you want to run a home office as cheaply as possible, or you want to download and run software from, shall we say, less than legitimate sources, then a Windows PC is probably the way to go. If you want to create websites, music, or anything creative professionally you definitely need a Mac. You can do everything on any format really - I know music producers who use PCs and offices that use Macs.

I chose a Mac because I make music, and also because I like not having to fight viruses, malware etc all the time. I miss being able to run 'differently acquired' software all the time though, like I did on my old PC!

16. Garrett Evans profile image61
    Garrett Evansposted 13 years ago

Both sides have very distinct advantages. For example: Windows, or PC, is the original home computer. It has great compatability and flexibility in terms of word processors, financial programs, and of corse videogames. Mac, or apple, is the future of the home computer. They have made revelations in terms of the way we access live streamed information, music, video clips, and overall internet access. Given the pros for both sides, you have to look at the cons. PC is the most popular form of home computer in the United States, therefor there are thousands upon thousands of web junk and viruses that are specifically targeted at PC formatted programs. Mac is very expensive and can be complicated to handle for all of those "old school" PC fans, and all popular programs require new formatting to be compatable on a Mac. However, when you tally up all the pros and cons, I would have to go with a Mac over a PC. Mac's do tend to be more pricey than any PC, but you get what you pay for. Mac's tend to last longer and require less maintenance than the average PC. Maintenance meaning regular virus screenings, diagnosis check-ups, and WAY fewer crashes and "blue screens." Mac's, in my opinion, are also able to handle multiple programs running at once. Being a college student, my desktop has only three programs running. A word processor, my media player(i.e itunes or WMP), and an internet browser with facebook up. I want to be sure my computer won't crash when a few programs are contradicting and intertwining with eachother, and a Mac offers that to me. So my vote goes to Mac and all apple products.

17. Nellydefalco profile image55
    Nellydefalcoposted 13 years ago

MAC BECAUSE ITS EXPENSIVE IT HAS MORE PROGRAMS.

18. sky789 profile image60
    sky789posted 13 years ago

PCs are ready for fun
    PCs are hard workers but they're also fun to play with. You can watch, pause, rewind, and record TV like a DVR and you'll find that many of the world’s most popular games are available only on a PC.

Ready to rock
    When you buy a PC running Windows 7, you can get a Blu-ray player, TV tuner, Memory Stick reader, or 3G wireless built in. You can’t get a Mac that ships with these items.

Ready to play
    Most of the world's most popular games are available only on a PC. And Macs can't connect to an Xbox 360. PCs are ready to play.

Ready for the big screen
    Many PCs running Windows 7 are designed to connect directly to TVs, so you can watch movies and see photos on the big screen. Most Macs can't hook up to your TV unless you buy an adapter.

Ready to go with (free) digital media
    With PCs running Windows 7, you can play the video and music stored on your home PC while you're on the go, for free. Apple charges $99/year for its online service.

1. DennisSmit84 profile image58
      DennisSmit84posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Based on similar kind of criteria, but less PC biased, this might help: http://www.pc-vs-mac-test.com/

19. MaSell profile image60
    MaSellposted 13 years ago

Booth od them have advantages and disadvantages. There is no simple answer which one is better. It's really up to user - what he need, what he like and what he expect from computer.

20. force of habit profile image60
    force of habitposted 13 years ago

Perhaps a better question would be: Mac or PC? Which one can you afford?

A Mac is definitely more expensive than a PC... it is a 'souped up' PC running under a different operating system. This is why Apple targets a different market than those of a PC. Even the applications and software for the Mac are somewhat costlier than those available for a PC.

A Mac compared to a PC is like a Mercedes coupe compared to a Toyota sedan. Although there are some additional features that comes with a Mac, I would like to think that the price difference is more because of the status symbol and the exclusivity associated with a Mac, whether it's their desktop or laptop.

21. SingSong profile image61
    SingSongposted 13 years ago

Mac.
    There are been numerous times I avoided a virus because I was using a Mac. My internet provider even told me if this one email I had opened and was using a PC, I would have fried it.
    I've also noticed when I have to install something, usually the steps a Mac has to do is shorter than all the steps a PC would have to go through to install.

22. Becca Lopez profile image61
    Becca Lopezposted 13 years ago

Mac all the way. I've had numerous PC's and they all crapped out on me. Macs have so many useful shortcuts and useful tools. All the apps that come on the MACs are also very useful when trying to do school projects. The main problem is transferring your documents from MAC to PC. (easily fixed when saving your files) The best thing about the MAC is its inability to get viruses. I once opened a page filled with them, my MAC warned me and I looked for them throughout my hard drive and they weren't there.

23. Jason Matthews profile image83
    Jason Matthewsposted 13 years ago

I believe that a Mac is a better machine, but a PC is used by more people (reducing compatibility issues) and usually costs way less. I recommend a Mac to those who need the functions (such as music recording, video, ect...) that a Mac can best/easily offer. Otherwise a PC is probably the best option.

24. profile image53
    juanphillipsposted 13 years ago

I think PC  is much better than Mac.I have also use PC.
    http://healthproductadvice.com/drops-of-hcg-reviews/

25. profile image52
    partycletimeposted 13 years ago

Mac for office/work but
    PC FOR GAMES!!! smile

26. profile image52
    bourne4posted 13 years ago

pc,because you can use free or pirated softwerea,,in mac all you have to do is bye them

27. Maxine Lee profile image57
    Maxine Leeposted 13 years ago

Mac is way better for graphics but I prefer my PC.

28. TIMOBILE profile image60
    TIMOBILEposted 13 years ago

One tried MAC and the experience was great. MAC is more expensive to get and I think my familiarity with windows is still an advantage.
    Also in this part of the world(Africa) windows is the one in market.
    Will say PC for now but will prefer MAC given the opportunity and  right environment

29. Honest Reality profile image61
    Honest Realityposted 12 years ago

MAC MAC BABY!!
    My husband introduced me to Mac for the first time since jr. high school, where I was writing programs for them. Needless to say, we have become retro-mac collectors, both in computers and software. I hope I never have to use another pc, although I know the majority of the US runs on windows, and continually has to have it worked on because their systems are down...hello...not a problem with mac. People say pc is cheaper, but when you weigh out the initial investment, pc may be cheaper, but ONLY initially. Mac is like buying a BMW, initial investment may be higher, but you truly get what you pay for. If you compare downtime, frustration, the cost of constant maintenance like like security for both computer and internet-you can only come to the conclusion that mac is by far cheaper in the long run.
    I write manuscripts on a 14 yr old mac powerbook, that works like new (except for internet), simply drag the manuscript into a zip drive, attach it to email, and send it to my publisher on my newer powerbook.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)