What's been the most difficult aspect of relocating to a different country?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 13 years ago

What's been the most difficult aspect of relocating to a different country?

2. DizzyLizzy profile image60
    DizzyLizzyposted 13 years ago

I guess the biggest adjustment was learning to drive on the right (wrong) side of the road!!  But so far (touches wood) I haven't killed anybody smile

3. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

Packing & unpacking is the worst !& missing people.
    Have moved from Wales to NZ- to Aussie - NZ - to Wales back to Australia otherwise it is fun to explore new places!
    If you moved to a country with a diferent language that would be hard.
    Only had holidays in places like that in Europe.

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 13 years ago

Doing groceries.  Nothing is where you expect it would be!  It's really the little things like that which can trip up someone, because you're only really expecting to see differences in the 'big things' in life, not in smaller things like groceries.

5. KumarHubPages profile image61
    KumarHubPagesposted 13 years ago

Food and Language
    If you are cooking yourself, it's difficult to find source at the beginning. You need the basic local language if English is not spoken.

6. mirage erin profile image73
    mirage erinposted 13 years ago

Being away from those who you are used to seeing all the time. Being away from family, knowing it will take time to get there if something happens and that you cannot be there for everything.

7. lex123 profile image81
    lex123posted 13 years ago

I feel children's education gets affected by relocating to another country, and getting adjusted to the new place and people will take its own time.

8. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

I moved from Canada to the USA when I was a teen. The most difficult thing was probably missing everyone back home. I did however find school a piece of cake as it was a lot easier in the states. I since have moved back to Canada though.

9. Pily profile image61
    Pilyposted 13 years ago

I agree with Giselle Maine
    After living in USA for almost 25 years, I decided to go back to my country Colombia for a year or so, to show my kids where I grew up.  It was in Santa Marta, a beautiful and small city by the caribbean.  A wonderful experience for all of us.
    But oh my God! Did I miss my supermarket? Uff!. I pictured myself entering the vegetables and fruits area of the Winn Dixie in my neighborhood!.. PRICELESSS!.
    I must say I love the food over there, but here in USA you find a lot more variety and quality.

Another thing was driving. It was in the same direction, but with dozens of motorcycles around you and all the cars honking at the same time.

10. profile image56
    Kyzarelposted 13 years ago

Every little thing that you can imagine! I think it is the psychological part of just thinking that every little thing that you are used to is suddenly going to change from the weather, the atmosphere,the culture,food,clothing,transportation,language and communication,finances. And next is the emotional aspect of convincing yourself to settle in the idea of relocating to a different country you are unfamiliar with.

11. kiwi9410 profile image61
    kiwi9410posted 13 years ago

Relocating to a different country means that you need to adaptation with a new environment. I think it's the hardest parts. Adaptation here is includes languange, law, and many more.

12. galinaa profile image60
    galinaaposted 13 years ago

I am that kind of person who understand your question. I have experienced these types of difficulties myself..

I considered myself a person who can live anywhere...
    And the main problem I had is Language.

But it's not so much about the ability to communicate on daily basis as I knew English pretty well.

It's the ability to SPEAK IN YOUR OWN LANGUAGE. I missed it a lot until I met new friends from my native country )

13. Dave Harris profile image68
    Dave Harrisposted 13 years ago

Although I have only moved from England to Wales, I find the Welsh language very difficult to understand especially when I am having difficulty helping my son with his Welsh language homework. He has French and German on top of that, I don't think I could cope with all that!

14. EinsFloW profile image65
    EinsFloWposted 13 years ago

To be honest, the most difficult thing for me was to buy stuff/groceries in the stores because they are so different and you are just used to your "normal" groceries that you feel a bit lost when you go for the first time into a big mall.

15. Spartan King profile image61
    Spartan Kingposted 13 years ago

That I live in the most beautiful country of the world...

16. Multiflavour profile image60
    Multiflavourposted 13 years ago

move all the things you want to carry with you and decide which one to be left behind. Yes. Packing and unpacking is tedious.

Find a house that suits you and furnish it, is another challenge and it is time consuming.

Get some new friends with whom you are comfortable with.

Be away from you usual food or ingredients that can allow you to prepared your food. After a while you need it.

If you are going outside Europe (like Africa) getting the work permit to be legal in the country it is not something obvious. Same applies for visas.

17. lilian_sg profile image63
    lilian_sgposted 13 years ago

For me it's missing my family because I am very close to them. I have been living abroad since more than 4 years ago. It seems like homesickness is incurable!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)