jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the legend of how Greenland got it's name?

1. RKHenry profile image78
    RKHenryposted 6 years ago

What is the legend of how Greenland got it's name?

2. IntimatEvolution profile image79
    IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago

Isn't something about when the Vikings landed on Iceland it was so beautiful that they wanted to trick people into not coming there, so they could have it for themselves.  So they named the ice cover country Greenland, so people would go there instead and name the lush island Iceland to deter people from going there.

3. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I think IntimatEvolution is on the right track. I'm not sure if it was used to lure people away from Iceland. I think Iceland was named before anyone settled there (not sure). But, they named Greenland as they did, even though it is covere in ice, to attract settlers, merchants, and tourists.

4. anasshad profile image76
    anasshadposted 6 years ago

When the vikings reached Greenland the first thing that they saw there was green grass so they named the land Greenland.

5. MJFenn profile image67
    MJFennposted 6 years ago

It wasn't very green when I flew over Greenland, anyway. Huge hunks of ice, where you can't where the ice ends and the mountain begins. Attractive in its way, of course.

Maybe it was a piece of Viking humour to call it a green land (Danish: Groen land).