Place de la nation huronne-wendat, Vieux-Wendake is a First Nations enclave within Quebec City, Quebec; it is overlooked by a church building dating from 1722, rebuilt in 1865.
This striking, Neo-Romanesque structure dating from 1909 formerly housed Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church. Its conical tower and Syrian arching are among its striking features.
A strongly Gothic style is evident at this monumental structure on Danforth Avenue, in the East End of Toronto, Ontario. Formerly Danforth Methodist Church, it has long been known as Eastminster United Church.
Dating from 1911, this solid, stone building, formerly a convent, houses an educational institution known as le Centre Saint-Louis. With evident Neoclassical, stylistic influences, conspicuous features include a prominent broken pediment and a bell tower.
Nose Hill Park, Calgary, Alberta extends over 11 square kilometres; and is popular for hiking. Magnificent views of Calgary's Downtown area may be obtained from the Park, founded in 1980; the area is noted for the presence of grassland, aspen, deer and coyote among other flora and fauna.
Features of this church building include a prominent tower and many pointed window arches and flying buttresses, testifying to the influence of Gothic styling. Formerly known as Fairbank Methodist Church — now Fairbank United Church —, the building dates from 1889: Fairbank's oldest surviving one.
Named for a prominent member of the local Sauvé political family, this bridge, which crosses the Mille-Îles River, is situated at a location which is historically and geographically significant to Quebec.
Begun in 1908 and completed in 1910, the former Sir Alexander Galt Hospital now houses the Galt Museum and Archives, in Lethbridge, Alberta. Its Neoclassical features are rather striking.
St. Timothy's Anglican Church, Agincourt, Toronto, Ontario exhibits simplified, but strong, Gothic features.
The building dates from the time of the first municipal meeting in 1855; but human settlement has been driven for centuries by the nearby Rivière des Outaouais / Ottawa River.
In the Historic District of North East, Pennsylvania is situated an Italianate building on a triangular lot, which exhibits a striking, ornate cornice.
Dating from 1903, and originally the property of the prominent Wood family, Falconer Hall (originally Wymilwood) has distinguished associations with women's university education, the beginnings of York University and with the University of Toronto's Law Faculty.
This uninhabited island is in a curious position in the middle of Rivière des Outaouais / Ottawa River. Wholly within Quebec's Municipalité régionale de comté de Pontiac / Pontiac Regional County Municipality, it is situated close to Portage-du-Fort. The wider region has many fishing opportunities.
The U.S. Border Station at St. John's Highway, Rouses Point, New York, which is included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, is a building in Georgian Revival style, dating from 1931. Its landscaping is significantly attributed to Lady Bird Johnson's highway beautification support.
New Liskeard, in Northern Ontario, on Lake Temiskaming, has a prominent mural, with memories of the steamboat 'Meteor' and the logging industry; the mural dates from 1999.
What is now the Mairie — Town Hall — of Saint-Eustache, Quebec, was formerly a convent. Its styling was influenced by the French Second Empire; the site has strong, historical associations with the Patriotes and the Battle of Saint-Eustache, 1837.
Gildredge Manor, a Georgian building set in parkland in Eastbourne, East Sussex, England, has been known by a variety of names; typically English, it was visited by Queen Mary.
Executed with brick facing, the Liberty Building, Buffalo, New York, dates from 1925 and was the responsibility of architect Alfred C. Bossom, later Lord Bossom of Maidstone, England. The design includes two statues of Liberty at roof level.
Memories of the Patriotes converge on Saint-Eustache, notably at the Neoclassical façade of the Church of Saint-Eustache, where a battle was played out on December 14, 1837.
Mont des Cats (Dutch: Katsberg) is an intriguing — even disturbing? — hill in northern France, situated close to the Belgian border.
This tall building in Gothic Revival style was the tallest in Buffalo, New York between the years 1901 and 1912. Its dimensions still mark the Buffalo skyline today; its ornateness also remains striking.
At Saint-Lin-Laurentides, Quebec, a house dating from 1870, on land which belonged to the family of Prime Minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier, is a National Historic Site of Canada / Lieu historique national du Canada. Commemoration of this Canadian historical figure is in some ways surprisingly complex.
Formerly "Smithville", the hamlet of Green River, dating from the 1840s, situated within the boundaries of the City of Pickering, Ontario, has a bookstore housed in the former General Stores dating from 1878.
This range of properties in Eastbourne, East Sussex, dating from the late Victorian / Edwardian era, effuses a quiet elegance at what has seemingly become a sought after address.
Place des Nations-Unies, Liège, Belgium lies on what was known as the Plaine de Vennes, first developed for the Universal Exhibition of 1905, Liège.
Kirk Newman's sculpture 'Community' is a now familiar feature of Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, which exudes senses of movement and variety, seemingly captured as a snapshot, frozen in time.
Morris Castle is a Scheduled Ancient Monument recalling the history of the development of Swansea, Wales. It was built by Sir John Morris between 1768 and 1775.
Gothic features of this structure include pointed window arching and flying buttresses. Designed by Werner E. Noffke, the building dates from 1952; a focus of the church has long been German congregants.
These steep Paris streets in the shadow of Sacré-Cœur Basilica recall various artistic personalities.
When one examines some of the influences and professed ideological positions of those who made up the Luxembourg Resistance to Nazi German rule in the period 1940-1944/5 — commemorated by the National Solidarity Monument in Luxembourg City — things on close examination may not be what they seem.
At the intersection of Queen Street East and Broadview Avenue is a recently renovated structure displaying an historic expression of Richardson Romanesque, dating from 1893.
Crumbles Pond — arguably a small lake — is contained within Princes Park. It has an interesting history.
The land on which Gibson Park, North-East, stands was donated to the people of the locality in the 19th century by a real estate investor. The Park features a war memorial dating from 1911. Gibson Park hosts many local activities, including craft exhibitions.
Built in 1897, this restored heritage property, known as the Dineen Building, exhibits Renaissance Revival style, and was designed by F. H. Herbert.
Bradshaw, Gass and Hope completed this fine, former civic building in Wimbledon in 1931, featuring Neoclassical styling, with mansard roofing and large, Doric pilasters. The former Town Hall is now a retail complex.
Toulouse's Allées Jean-Jaurès have undergone many name changes, but for the past century they have commemorated an assassinated leader whose name has come to be synonymous with the cause of the French Republic itself.
A fine Gothic structure by Gordon and Helliwell remains a landmark close to Toronto's Queen Street West; its name recalls the Bonar brothers, who were highly active Free Church of Scotland preachers, one of whom influenced the naming of a British Prime Minister.
The Sackville Street Building, sometimes known as the former UMIST main building, is a fine structure dating from 1895-1902, which befits a distinguished institution of learning.
Living up to its "beau lieu" name, this City of Calgary park is terraced, with many species of flowers and plants. This most peaceful place is located in the Beltline neighbourhood of Alberta's furious, dynamic and fastest growing city.
Pediments and Syrian arches combine eclectically at the imposing, ornate and monumental Central School, in Oxford County's City of Woodstock, Ontario.
What's in a name? The answer: A lot, especially in trilingual Luxembourg, where layers of meaning and historical allusion — hidden to the casual visitor — are exposed upon deeper scrutiny. Basbellain and its municipality of Troisvierges are toponymically — and phenomenologically — surprising.
The historic and extensive north-south US Route 89 begins at Point of Piegan, Montana, an ideal entry for travelling from Canada to to among the most outstanding visitor attractions in the State of Montana.
Prior to 1968, this Italianate building in Woodstock, Ontario, housed the City Hall (Town Hall at its inception). Dating from 1853, it was designed by Peter Craib, and is a National HIstoric Site of Canada.
Within the City of Calgary's boundaries is the 3.84 square kilometre Glenmore Reservoir, dating from 1932, the focus of sailing, rowing and canoeing and fishing activities; redolent of healthy exercise and pure air, near to the foothills of the Rockies.
"America's greatest bridge-builder" Ralph Modjeski (1861-1940) was the major civil engineer behind the Blue Water Bridge which links Port Huron, Michigan, with the Sarnia district, Ontario. The first span dates from 1938, and the second from 1997.
The Pattullo Fountain in Woodstock, in Ontario's Oxford County, commemorates a member of the prominent Pattullo family, Andrew Pattullo (1850-1903).
Views of Rock Creek Hills, Kensington, Maryland, are striking from nearby Rock Creek Park, which extends into Maryland from the District of Columbia, and Forest Glen; the spires of the cathedral-like LDS Temple are prominent on the skyline.
Is Carway, Alberta, with its wide open spaces and fine views of the Rockies, to be regarded 'as name without a place'?
This gracious structure, long designated historic by the local authorities in Woodstock, Ontario, was funded by the Carnegie Foundation, and dates from 1909.
Romanesque stylistic features are exhibited in abundance at this building overlooking this prominently towered building in Watertown, New York.
A local legend centred on the Château de Jaulny, in eastern France, suggests that Joan of Arc lived there after being burnt at the stake in Rouen in 1431. Even if one dismisses such legends, Joan of Arc's later political and religious reputations seemingly developed somewhat legendary overtones.
Sarnia's vibrant airport is named for Sarnia-born astronaut Christ Hadfield. The facility was developed in the late 1950s, when scheduled air services began.
Geographically and for its quiet pace of life, St. Mary, Montana is truly amazing! — not the least of the features of its area is that it drains into three Oceans.
Cap-d'Aïl, France and neighbouring Monaco have similar, rocky promontories which extend into the Mediterranean, although the history of these two localities has diverged considerably.
The Romanesque solidity and permanence of this building in Woodstock, Ontario has a lot to do with the fact that it once served as the Oxford County Jail, now transformed in to the offices of the Oxford County Board of Health.
An equestrian statue of Marshal Foch, who in World War One held a similar position among the Allied armies as did General Eisenhower in World War Two, stands in Lower Grosvenor Gardens, London. Sculpted by Georges Malissard, it was unveiled in 1930 by the Prince of Wales.
Sherburne Lake — an artificial one in Montana created between 1914 and 1921 — is maybe reminiscent of abstract art when light and shade fall upon it in at certain times.
Woodstock's Old Registry Building dates from 1876; it replaced a previous building from 1847.
Mont Cassel is a very visible vantage point overlooking the Plain of Flanders in northern France. In World War One, Marshal Foch established his headquarters there. In war or peace, advantageous, fine views are to be obtained at Mont Cassel.
Formerly of military significance, the waters around Rouses Point, New York, on Lake Champlain, close to the border with Quebec, Canada, continue to define this village, with marina facilities, and a bridge linking Rouses Point to Alburgh, Vermont.
By Cuthbertson and Fowler, the Oxford County Court House, completed in 1892, is a strong representation of Romanesque style, in Woodstock, Ontario.
Spectacular Swiftcurrent Lake is the location for Many Glacier Hotel, the creation of Louis W. Hill (1872-1948)
At Zoufftgen Forest, close to the Franco-Luxembourg border, overlapping memories and lines of mental demarcation seem to come together.
Dating from 1903, the Dow Academy Building is located in Franconia, New Hampshire; the White Mountains form a backdrop to its elegant styling.
The solid, 1904 Old Armoury Building in Woodstock, Ontario, with poignant, historical associations, is the former home of the Oxford Rifles.
Several generations of the same family have served in this late 19th century general store, in Downtown Stowe, Vermont
Executed in yellow brick, this prominent, octagonal church building is located in Dover, Kent, England; and evidences a mixture of architectural styles.
Close to New Hampshire's White Mountains, Littleton's Gothic-style First Congregational Church is conspicuous for its twin spires, which date from 1874.
A disreputable but nevertheless — or even consequently — highly popular figure, John Prince (1796-1870) was the individual for whom the scenic Prince Township, in Ontario's Algoma District, was named.`
The Neo-Colonial Town Hall in Stowe, Vermont, is very much an attraction in its own right in this Green Mountains ski resort.
W H Lynn's 1891-1899 St. Comgall Parish Church, Bangor, Northern Ireland constitutes a massive statement in stonework.
This Covered Bridge at Woodsville, New Hampshire, which crosses the Ammonoosuc River, was designed by architect and civil engineer Ithiel Town (1784-1844).
This statue of General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower in Grosvenor Square, London, England, by Robert Dean, seems suggestive of modesty and strength at the centre of the storm that was World War Two in Europe.
At 175 feet / 53.3 metres, the spire of Stowe Community Church is the tallest in Vermont; the building, in a village chartered in 1763 which lies in the shadow of Mount Mansfield — also Vermont's highest — dates from 1863.
José Enrique Rodó (1871-1917) — author of 'Ariel' and commemorated in the name of a park in Montevideo, Uruguay — and E. Howard Hunt (1919-2007) — ex-CIA Watergate burglar — are not names which often go together. But they are linked by Uruguay and by polemics about US economic-driven intervention.
Dating from 1891/92, the ornate, redbrick building at the intersection of Toronto's Yonge and College Streets is known as Oddfellows' Hall, and was designed by architects Norman B. Dick and Frank W. Wickson.
The Moore Reservoir extends over 3,181 acres / 12.87 square kilometres; fine views are available from the rest area close to the intersection of Interstate 93 (Exit 44) and St. Johnsbury Road, New Hampshire.
The American (Whitefield Memorial) Church in London, England recalls the Anglo-American ministry of the 18th century Methodist preacher George Whitefield; together with the US Embassy in London, it sponsors the annual American Thanksgiving Day Service at St. Paul's Cathedral.
The name of New Jersey's Worthington State Forest recalls a tycoon who preferred the Great Outdoors.
The name of a Neoclassical building in Brussels, Belgium, which dates from 1867, recalls a Brussels mayor named André-Napoléon Fontainas. The building was designed by Antoine Trappeniers and Henri Beyaert.
At the intersection of Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue in Downtown Toronto stands a gracious, Italianate building by Henry Langley and Edmund Burke, dating from 1886
The Old Market Building is a major landmark in Georgetown, South Carolina, now part of the Rice Museum. It stands on the site of a previous building which served a rather different purpose.
Doncaster's elegant Station frontage masks the fact that the famous 'Mallard' steam locomotive — the world's fastest — was built in Doncaster, the design of Sir Nigel Gresley.
Oneida Lake, in central New York State, has interesting avenues of history which coalesce around its waters; in 1831, future French foreign minister and historian Alexis de Tocqueville was a noted visitor.
This repeatedly burned church building in Beaumont, Belgium, has in some ways bucked historical trends.
The power of words remembered at The Frost Place, Franconia, New Hamphire.
As a place in Quebec that should be better-known, Ville-Marie could be rightly described as a West Coast destination indeed!
A fine, limestone building in Georgian style has been a landmark in Armagh City since 1815. Known as the Market House, it originally had two storeys; a third storey was added in the early 20th century.
The rugged, historic West Jersey area, to which the Delaware River acts as a natural boundary, provokes remembrances of many, competing forces which have served to forge the present.
In the Palace of the Prince-Bishops lies a lot of Liège's history; and even in recent history the building's precise identity has been a matter of debate.
A fine, Romanesque Revival structure is to be seen at Woodstock's City Hall — but it did not always serve this municipal purpose.
Port Huron is a city defined by water in many aspects. Perhaps better known for its situation on the St. Clair River, bordering Sarnia, Canada, Port Huron has a harbour, based on the Black River, which has developed into marina.
Entering Monaco on one of the land routes from France is Avenue-Princesse-Grace.
A venerable London hotel close to Buckingham Palace is known for its 'living wall'; and among its historical associations is the former presence of the HQ of exiled Polish Prime Minister General Sikorsky, killed mysteriously in 1943.
Getting away from 'it' all, par excellence: where everywhere else seems remote from the town of Sparwood, British Columbia
The work of Architect Thomas Silloway (1828-1910), the Greek Revival State House dominates the very small city of Montpelier, Vermont state capital.
Wind, sand, tides, sky, history, shifting borders: so many elements seem to be in competition here at Bray-Dunes, like combinations of elements of abstract art exploding onto the temporal landscape.
The Downtown area of Gatineau, Québec / Quebec — Le Promenade des Voyageurs / Voyageurs Pathway — is truly a vantage point for some spectacular views.
This building in Woodsville, New Hampshire, executed in Romanesque Revival style, stands at a significant angle at the intersection of two important streets.
Within sight of Cologne's deeply memorable Cathedral, Cologne/Bonn's Airport, named for long-serving, former Chancellor Dr. Konrad Adenauer, by its naming, stirs profound footfalls in the collective memory of Germans: this is for reasons which even 50 years after his death may be hard to articulate.
The Westersingel is a surviving and revitalized moat and boulevard from the 19th century, in Downtown Rotterdam. W. N. Rose (1801-1877) is usually credited with the main responsibility for its creation.
Recently refurbished, the Walper Hotel at the intersection of Kitchener's King and Queen Streets has various historic features and associations.
The Medieval origin Church of St. Andrew in Norfolk's Gorleston-on-Sea has a 27.4 metre flint tower which has in the past been used as a lookout over the North Sea.
This sedate Neoclassical structure in Dublin, Ireland, known as Iveagh House / Teach Uíbh Eachach, is the seat of the Republic of Ireland's Department of Foreign Affairs. It was designed by Richard Cassels (1690-1751).
Inaccessible and isolated are words which readily come to mind when considering the village of Bonson in the Var Valley in the South of France.
With a prominent tower topped by an octagonal cupola, Old St. Paul's Church, Woodstock, which dates from 1834, combines a number of interesting stylistic features.
Distinguished architect Henri Evers designed the Remonstrantse Kerk, in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Interestingly, his father-in-law was the minister of its congregation. Remonstrants have a long history in The Netherlands.
There is some living Medieval history in the Liège street named for a former Prince-Bishop.
The spire and tower of Saint-Hilaire church, dating from 1857, dominate the skyline of the northern French town of Halluin, but other, very different ideas have been historically dominant locally.
The Armoury in Brampton, Ontario, the home of a regiment of which HRH The Duke of Kent is Colonel-in-Chief, has historic associations, but among these the horrors on the Somme in World War One cannot be overlooked.
This historic London property has associations with Francisco de Miranda and Simón Bolívar, personalities deeply linked with the independence movements of Latin American republics. These associations remained relevant to those who engaged in whatever kind of business with Latin America.
A building in Liège, Belgium, over a century old and known as the Hôtel Rigo, in Neo-Mosan style, has been demolished despite a public outcry.
From the R-100 airship to Errol Boyd - the 'Lindbergh of Canada' - Aéroport Montréal Saint-Hubert Longueuil / Montreal Saint-Hubert Longueuil Airport has many historic associations.
Waters, granite and basalt come together at a locality linked to the far past
Henry Fehr was a British/Swiss sculptor who was responsible for the Eastbourne War Memorial, unveiled in 1920.
Stretching nearly three kilometres, the historic Jacques Cartier Bridge / Pont Jacques-Cartier opened in 1930 and is once of the historic crossings of the Saint-Lawrence / Saint-Laurent.
This Second Empire style, two storey building in Brampton, Ontario, dates from circa 1860; a stucco exterior was added in the 20th century.
Dutch, French, German and English — whether horizontally or vertically — are or have been in at times explosive concoction near this Belgian aviation facility.
Juxtaposed between the Alps and the Mediterranean, Vallauris can boast of a highly scenic location to its many visitors.
With its prominent spire, St Paul's Church, Sketty, Swansea, and close to a busy crossroads, is one of the district's most prominent landmarks.
Close to where the I-81 crosses the Potomac at Williamsport Station is where a famous Civil War standoff and series of skirmishes occurred, sometimes referred to as the Battle of Williamsport; it harbours an intriguing and little known fact of history going back to George Washington.
50 metres of spire crown this Gothic building, prominent in the Reading slyline since the 1860s. Named Christ Church - as is also its Diocesan Cathedral - its architect was Henry Woodyer (1816-1896).
An Art Deco monument in Luxembourg City, which saw the dark years of Nazi German Occupation, its interesting historical associations include visits from US Generals Eisenhower, Patton and Bradley.
Gothic is often thought to be traditional, but this 21st Century building at Malvern, Scarborough is executed in a strong expression of this time-honoured style.
The Delisle Riever is not long, and neither is it an exclusively Quebec river; but, rising in Ontario, its course runs through predominantly Francophone territory, emptying into the Saint-Lawrence.
The First Presbyterian Church of North East, Pennsylvania evidences strongly Gothic Revival features; the current building dates from 1885, while the congregation itself claims its origins in 1801.
Named for a prominent Medieval Lollard preacher, Wycliffe Baptist Church exhibits a combination of architectural styles.
Heer-Agimont is a border village in Belgium, adjacent to the French town of Givet. It combines a scenic location on the Meuse with some intriguing historical associations.
Among the oldest of canal workings in North America, Coteau-du-Lac was once of great military and subsequently commercial significance, situated as it is on the Saint-Lawrence River.
There are balconies galore at this hotel in Eastbourne, East Sussex, England, which are redolent not only of the Victorian era but also of typical scenes in Australia or New Zealand.
A conspicuous Greek Revival frontage is present at the former First National Bank building in Lake Street, in Pennsylvania's North East, which a local tourist trail includes in its route.
A baptist chapel with Gothic arching and an hexagonal window — in a building rebuilt in the 19th century — dates from the 17th century, linked with John Miles, later serving in Swansea, Massachusetts
The Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge and Mount Mansfield, in Vermont's Green Mountains, are both special places: the Missisquoi flows into Lake Champlain; the Green Mountains are a state leitmotif.
Prolific designers of London churches were responsible for this Gothic building, dating from 1899, executed in red brick and effusing a strong sense of solidity.
In an area which was the subject of careful study and rival claims in the 18th century, Orchard Beach is known for its bracing winds; carefully controlled fishing opportunities exist in the locality.
Charles Goutant — a French Senator and architect — designed this opulent Town Hall at Givet in Louis XIII style: a work of art as much as an office building, it was opened by the Minister of Culture.
This chapel in the Welsh town of Hay-on-Wye continues to thrive; historically, its congregation at its inception was associated with Primitive Methodists with a reputation for vibrancy.
This fascinating Museum, housed in an 18th century house in Maldonado, Uruguay, has memories of the historical figure Garibaldi, who lived for a number of years in Uruguay.
An officially bilingual village in Belgium, situated on the outskirts of Armentières, France, features in the painful history of the anti-Nazi resistance in World War Two.
Elegant and precise lines in Neoclassical and Prairie style are to be found at North East's McCord Memorial Library, in Pennsylvania's Erie County. The building dates from 1916, the Library from 1899.
An 1894 Victorian library building was saved from the bulldozer after strong opposition from residents of Willesden Green, London.
The architect of Tourcoing's Hôtel de ville, Charles Maillard, worked in the 1870s on the tower and spire of Bousbecque's Saint-Martin church building; he produced a very conspicuous landmark.
This late 19th century Gothic structure effuses permanence and solidity at a locality which seems strongly to symbolize natural movement and human transience.
Borderlands Made in Germany are not what English-speaking readers familiar with the Cold War are led to expect. Orsbach - within Aachen's city limits - has features mirrored in adjoining Dutch Limburg
For nearly 2 centuries a congregation has been based at what is now the intersection of O'Connor Drive and Pape Avenue, East York. The present building's features are strongly Gothic.
The history of Bray-Dunes, with its wind and sand dunes, seems to be underlain by tense, psychological forces that humanity has forced on the local topography.
The founder of Uruguayan nationality is commemorated at the historic Dragones barracks in Maldonado; José Gervasio Artigas's legacy inspires Uruguayans to this day.
This ornate, former department store in Brussels, Belgium, dating from 1899, now houses a museum of musical instruments.
The confluence of the Ottawa and St. Lawrence Rivers occurs at Pointe-des-Cascades, Québec; here also a park displays a collection of ships' anchors.
Before the Modernist movement swept through the design of public buildings, istructures such as large stations typically reflected traditional styles; at Ramsgate, Kent, the Neoclassical predominates.
Dating from the 16th century, and decommissioned from military use only in recent years, Givet's Fort de Charlemont, overlooking the Meuse, is associated with some larger than life historical figures.
Reality, artificiality, reflection, obscurity: at Meer van Overijse-Genval / Lac de Genval, Belgian adminsitrators seem to be reveaked as the high priests of perception manipulation.
With a profusion of typically Gothic features such as pinnacles and arches, Longueuil's Co-Cathedral has been a very conspicuous landmark since the late 19th century.
Bombed during the World Wars, St James's Church Dover, though now a ruin, preserves some fine, Norman architectural features.
This building in Saverne, eastern France, recalls some tumultuous personal and social history and seems very grand for a clergyman's residence; it was unfinished at the time of the French Revolution.
Part of the former home and backyard of a U.S. Congressman, Little Zavikon Island, situated extremely close to the US-Canada border in the St Lawrence River, is in the Thousand Islands archipelago.
The Battle of Vianden raged on November 19, 1944, while nebulous relations between Luxembourg socialists and trade unionists and the OSS seemingly underlay events prior to the Battle of the Bulge.
Methodists were already active in Uruguay in the 19th century; this imposing Methodist church building in Gothic style dates from 1913.
The Marschallbrücke, in Downtown Berlin, Germany, the original of which dates from 1882, is named for a Prussian military figure whose fortuitous lifetime left him unconnected with militarism.
Built in an era when functionalist design was less widespread, Sault-Ste-Marie's Old Federal Building is situated on the site of Old Fort Brady.
A museum lightship moored in Lübeck, Germany is a reminder of a wholesome, German maritime humanitarian tradition. Remembering also a friendship between writer Siegfried Lenz and former Federal Chancellor Helmut Schmidt.
An inland lagoon in Uruguay reflects light, hills and history. Nearby Punta del Este - whose airport is named for Laguna del Sauce - served as an ideological crucible pitting JFK against Che Guevara.
Lougheed House, Calgary, has been a real witness to the history of Alberta. Associated with a dynasty of Provincial leaders, its 19th century sandstone walls have harboured many distinguished visitors
Forget the Cold War: understand how Dr. Luis Alberto de Herrera, as a conservative nationalist, could be both a supporter of the Sandinistas and a defender of the historic sovereignty of Latin America
Claude Debussy and Frank Bridge are just some of the noteworthy musical figures associated with this hotel, completed 1877, & known as the White Palace, by architect Robert Knott Blessley (1833-1923).
Timothy Eaton Memorial Church stands monumentally in the Toronto suburb of Forest Hill, on St. Clair Avenue. Not dedicated to any religious figure, its name instead recalls a business personality.
An aerial gateway city is planning more than to double its human population by the number of trees it plants over the next decade.
Dr. Louis Duhamel was known as a promoter of the French language; he owned this property at 179, Promenade du Portage, Gatineau, which, in its refurbished form, demonstrates interesting features.
Gatineau's urban lake is an unexpected feature of a city which deserves to be much better known.
These Gardens were originally the creation of landscape architect Ludovico Winter, and have for many decades served as a source of shade and tranquility to citizens of Ventimiglia.
In a German-speaking area, this is Belgium, but only just, and the scenic Our River marks the boundary between Belgium and Germany. With memories of a wet Medieval knight.
Warm, cool, bracing, mild, lonely, highly frequented: a small Uruguayan resort harbours more complexities than may at first be apparent.
Fine style and historical allusion come together at this building in a leading Uruguayan resort city in Maldonado department.
The Belgian authorities took care: to avoid air pollution, create a distance between King Leopold II and his private life, and use spellings acknowledging both of Belgium's main language communities.
A conspicuous mountain in Blackfoot territory lies near Babb, Montana, on the edge of Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park and close to the Canadian border. It has some interesting associations.
The mid-20th century saw the eruption of controversy around the first alleged, then confessed, spying activities of Kim Philby, affable British diplomat and MI6 operative.
A quiet hamlet, near historic villages, was the focus of worldwide attention in 2003; official handling of the death of a famous resident has distasteful parallels with the Lusitania Enquiry of 1915.
Harrods, Buenos Aires: Formerly a hub of commerce identified with a large Anglophone community; in recent years seeking other rôles. More broadly, recalling a somewhat chequered Argentine-British trading history, which, to Argentinians despite its huge significance is hardly evocative of nostalgia.
'Aerotropolis' at Calgary inherits a long tradition of business confidence and functions as an intercontinental crossroads.
Have you driven a 169.49 litre V16 vehicle lately? Realistically, you are unlikely to do so, as this huge guzzler is now on permanent display by the visitor centre at Sparwood, British Columbia.
From Brussels 'food mountains' to 'embassy mountains': this Embassy may raise questions of how justified is the maintenance of an expensive embassy for tiny Andorra; but it is a fine building!
Mansard roofing and a pillared frontage are included among features of this fine structure in Downtown Brussels, dating from 1928/1929.
This Lake and Mountain are at the heart of highly impressive scenes. The name 'Crowsnest' is an Anglicized version of First Nations' observation of ravens in the Mountain's vicinity.
A Medieval warrior bishop decided that he needed a militarily defensible, second Cathedral. Its distinctive tower is still a major landmark in the city of Digne-lès-Bains.
Somewhat resembling the Matterhorn, Mount Blakiston rises to 2910 metres, its name recalling a 19th century explorer and naturalist.
This Alpine-style cottage, once belonging to the prominent, local Vivian family, served in its early years as a dame school. It recently underwent a program of restoration.
These brightly coloured, sedimentary rocks make for a popular destination in the summer months, although somewhat inaccessible during winter.
From the town, if at all, an octagonal tower rises above surrounding trees, which otherwise hide the hilltop Abbey building.
Since the Middle Ages, the town was held by Flanders, Spain, and Austria, before France gained possession of it under Louis XIV. The French Republicans confiscated the Château at the Revolution.
Named for an eccentric, monocle-wearing son-in-law of Canadian Prime Minister Sir Charles Tupper
Long known to First Nations, the Crossnest Pass was first travelled by a European, Michael Phillipps, in 1873, who journeyed West to East, now commemorated by British Columbian Point of Interest signs
A huge Swiss-style chalet in a scenically unique setting: recalling an almost vanished railroad past. Named for Edward, Prince of Wales who, as a local ranch owner, had strong links with Alberta
Clean air and water, breathtaking views and an absence of sales tax combine to make St Mary and Montana highly desirable visitor destinations.
High indeed, and long: nowhere in the world is there another of its type as high and as long.
One of a distinguished architect's great creations, with a 51.5-metre tower that has dominated the Doncaster skyline since the 19th century
Architectural distinction in sandstone, by members of a family prolific in building designs: the hub of one of England's great universities, linked with many of the distinguished minds of the 20th C.
Ostensibly a communication facility strictly within metropolitan France, Steenwerck Station's proximity to the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium is a reminder of a turbulent, local history.
Ideological opponents dropping metaphorical and literal bombs? Too troubling to probe the past at the Glacis Chapel? Does a disturbing aspect to its genius loci lurk there as a perennial leitmotif?
Too much like an ecclesiastical structure? a building which maybe raises too many questions. (But I like it.)
Distance and reserve between rulers and the ruled is an old fashioned notion. But can setting them aside also involve, in some circumstances, erosion of wider perceptions of monarchical impartiality?