jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Should we learn other languages beside English ?

1. Abhaque Supanjang profile image81
    Abhaque Supanjangposted 6 years ago

Should we learn other languages beside English ?

At the time you traveled around the world; was it enough for you to just use English to communicate with others at the time you visit the non-English Spoken countries ?

2. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 6 years ago

Yes.  Knowledge is power.  Not all country specially those who live in rural area can speak English.

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Yes, we should. Other countries children learn two or three different languages while our children can barely speak proper english!

4. Injured lamb profile image78
    Injured lambposted 6 years ago

Yes, we really should. I am blessed that beside English, I do know different languages that I find myself could easily communicate with those who doesn't know English...

5. lilian_sg profile image75
    lilian_sgposted 6 years ago

Usually English is sufficient but I always ensure I know some important local words to make life easier. If you are a strict eater, then it would be good to know the local words for vegetarian/chicken/beef/pork/fish etc.

6. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 6 years ago

Yes.  Our children should learn at least one foreign language, and they should start learning at an earlier age in school.  I am teaching my sons French and Spanish at home.

I always try to learn basic phrases before visiting a country, even if I will only be there a few days.
    Hello/goodbye
    Please/thank you
    My name is
    It is nice to meet you.
    Where is the ----
    Yes/no
    I would like---
    How much is it?
    1-10
    Do you speak English?

7. Sjlifed profile image60
    Sjlifedposted 5 years ago

It is definitely enough to know English, but I always feel that if you could speak a few phrases of the country, you can connect instantly with the locals. It makes travelling more interactive than just visiting sightseeing places. (:

working