jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are some must-see sights in the UK for Jane Austen fans?

1. Simone Smith profile image94
    Simone Smithposted 6 years ago

What are some must-see sights in the UK for Jane Austen fans?

It would be fun to go on a Jane Austen-themed vacation, but I don't like organized tours with big groups. Where should I go?

2. Imogen French profile image86
    Imogen Frenchposted 6 years ago

I would recommend Lyme Regis in Dorset, where she spent a lot of time - there is some interesting stuff about her in the town museum there, and was the setting for "Persuasion". If you have seen the English film version - that was filmed on location at the Cobb (the harbour wall) in Lyme Regis.

3. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 6 years ago

You absolutely must go to Bath! Lots of Austen-themed things, plus you can "take the waters" at the Pump Room. Bath features prominently in "Persuasion" and "Northanger Abbey," and seeing the real place is very cool (despite the fact that Austen herself disliked it, to my knowledge). Also neat to see is Winchester, which is where Austen's death-place is. The cathedral (particularly the roof tour) and the Winchester Bible are big draws, also.

4. profile image0
    kate-olsonposted 6 years ago

I don't think Jane Austen's house is very impressive. I felt closest to her when I toured Brighton and places she wrote about (I LOVED Brighton!) and went on long walks, as she probably did.

5. wonderingwoolley profile image56
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

I would say Bath because there is a Jane Austen museum there, which is really neat and has a lot of great souvenirs and stories, guide books, tips, etc. on your Jane Austen themed trip. Good luck!

6. DemiMonde profile image79
    DemiMondeposted 6 years ago

What about Chawton House, which was Jane's brother's estate?  The website is www.chawton.org.   She lived there during much of her writing.  It seems like a lot goes on there from the website and Facebook page.

7. profile image0
    WordsAreStrengthposted 6 years ago

I would also recommend going to the village of Bath, but try and go there during their annuel Jane Austen festival. That sounds like a fantastic time!!!!

8. Judi Bee profile image96
    Judi Beeposted 6 years ago

Jane Austen brings her world to life through her novels.  Although more than 200 years separates us from Jane, you can still get close to her by visiting her favourite places.  Here are the must-see sights for Jane Austen fans. read more