jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why does traffic always slow down on the highway at rush hour

1. bmcoll3278 profile image77
    bmcoll3278posted 5 years ago

Why does traffic always slow down on the highway at rush hour

When on the highway miles from any entry or exit ramps just open road but still the traffic comes to a crawl why.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6482364_f260.jpg

2. jonsswagger1978 profile image58
    jonsswagger1978posted 5 years ago

Probabl because more traffic means more wrecks. I believe people just want to be careful and not wreck.

3. AEvans profile image82
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

Learning this in Psych it is known as the 'Bottleneck Theory' limiting the amount of information that goes through the brain. Just like your brain can become congested with information, people are processing so quickly everything begins to slow down.

If everyone were traveling at the same speed 55-65 mph there would not be congestion unless of course there was an accident. Since people all process information at different intervals or become distracted their brains process at a slower rate.

Example: If the first car was driving at 55 than 5 to 10 vehicles would follow during rush hour. Vehicles 11-15 begin to become distracted and slow down. 16-20 begins to tap the breaks and the chain reaction takes place. Before you know it you are in a gridlock because the brain of the driver/driver's in front of you all moved at a different pace.

4. leros003 profile image60
    leros003posted 5 years ago

I use an app called sigalert to find out about traffic.  I hate rush hour traffic.  Since everyone is going home, accidents occur.  It sucks

working