jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Where can I see how every country is pronounced in their native tongue?

1. TylerCapp profile image85
    TylerCappposted 4 years ago

Where can I see how every country is pronounced in their native tongue?

Where can I find something that will tell me how every country is pronounced in their own language? Even better, where can I find a place where you can view how every country is pronounced by all the other countries? For example: Mexico is "Meheeco" but us silly Americans say "Meks I ko". I'd at least like to see it written out phonetically in English but it would be interesting to have an audio file with it.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8381047_f260.jpg

2. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

Thanks for asking the question. I want to know that, too.

3. LKMore01 profile image76
    LKMore01posted 4 years ago

http://www.freetranslation.com/  allows you to translate words, documents and also listen to translated languages. Hope this is useful, Tyler. Have a wonderful day!

4. Melanie52 profile image74
    Melanie52posted 4 years ago

We just returned from a trip to Italy and Germany and we wondered why it was that as English speaking North Americans we always change the pronunciation and the spelling of the European cities..Roma is Rome,  Firenze ...Florence,  Venizia...Venice,   Genova...Genoa.   Why did we find it necessary to do this?  One site that you might find helpful is imtranslator.net.   It gives you a definition as well as the proper poronunciation of the city name.   I wish I had come across it before going into Germany.   Language is a wonderful thing to study...European are much more versed...learning many languages in school.

1. TylerCapp profile image85
      TylerCappposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's almost as if the English speakers heard the original name, spat out their own version and said, "Close enough."

working