jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

When did fist bumping replace the high five?

1. TheHoleStory profile image79
    TheHoleStoryposted 3 years ago

When did fist bumping replace the high five?

Did you know that June 3rd 2010 was the first official national fist bumping day?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8864849_f260.jpg

2. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 3 years ago

I think it's because people were weary of getting colds or catching germs.  That's what my son told me from what he learned at school anyway.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

I do not know which one, but probably at a new decade or century - or even with a new fashion/style.

4. KimberlyLake profile image83
    KimberlyLakeposted 3 years ago

It could be that a fist bump takes a second and doesn't provide any personal contact. This is much like texting replacing conversation. The germ thing can be a part of it too.

5. THarman7 profile image59
    THarman7posted 3 years ago

I thought that fist bumping was something the teenages made up. Seems to me every few generations someone makes up something new and it caughts on and spreads fast. Great question!

6. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 3 years ago

It started in the hip-hop community I think, in the 90's as a sign of  "respect".

7. Kathy Carr profile image76
    Kathy Carrposted 3 years ago

Good question.  Did not know that though.  I believe it's more associated with being cool.  I do know it hasn't been around that long so that date wold seem right,  along with the gesture it's self.  I know some bend in as if to touch opposite shoulders when they do, do it then it's the hand explosion afterward with some making the noise of an explosion.  They do have a tendency to go back in time and pick up on something and make it their own.  The young, cool and creative folks always thinking of something.  But as to it replacing high five, I don't think it has, because people do still high five when they are in favour of something as well as fist bump.  It probably did result from folks who don't like germs also.

8. freecampingaussie profile image63
    freecampingaussieposted 3 years ago

Only just saw this recently and I thought it looked really weird. Someone said it was to replace hand shaking because of germs. I prefer the handshaking . We have survived this far with it !

9. Bubblegum Jones profile image60
    Bubblegum Jonesposted 3 years ago

Fist bumping is really something that has taken over recently, and it has all but totally replaced the high five.

working