jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Can you solve a mystery that's happened 4 different times over a period of time

1. TheHoleStory profile image80
    TheHoleStoryposted 3 years ago

Can you solve a mystery that's happened 4 different times over a period of time in the past year?

How can a sea shell, like the one pictured here with a normal size bottle cap, end up laying in a secure fenced in factory parking lot over 200 miles from the nearest ocean?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8934164_f260.jpg

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Because a sea bird picked it up at the shore, could not open it, and dropped it there.

TheHoleStoryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This was considered The Examiner-1, however we ruled this possibility out due to the fact that it would have involved at least 4 different birds carrying the seashells over 200 miles inland on 4 scattered dates, which is highly unlikely.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Why? Seagulls travel long distances if that is what you are talking about.

3. TheHoleStory profile image80

Okay I guess that's one good possibility.

3. Vvitta profile image61
    Vvittaposted 3 years ago

If it was my kid, he would have picked it up by the beach, put it in his pocket and eventually thrown it out when he got tired of it. If it was dirty, I would have thrown it out.

Now I never thought of that idea Vvitta.

4. Bubblegum Jones profile image59
    Bubblegum Jonesposted 3 years ago

Since the seashells are on the smaller side how about a storm like a hurricane or a tornado carried it that long distance and dropped it off there.

Maybe, I guess anything is possible here Bubblegum Jones.

5. Penny G profile image73
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

Hmm, who says it was from an ocean? In the midwest we have small fresh water clam shells in lakes and ponds. I think the bird theory and storm could be more possible if it came from somewhere closer, like a near by lake or pound.

I never thought of a fresh water shell, which is a big possibility in solving this mystery.

6. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

I go with the human theory, and it could be a fresh-water mussel

Both of these ideas are very possible MizBejabbers. My co-workers and myself couldn't solve this mystery on our own, which is why I decided to raise this question to all of my friends here at the Hub Pages.

working